Author Topic: Anyone else got an air rifle ?  (Read 30810 times)

fuzzy

Re: Anyone else got an air rifle ?
« Reply #100 on: 24 September, 2010, 01:03:19 pm »
lol

Defenders are meccano.

If you want an exotic,  uncomfortable holiday, you can invade a barge. Cohab can fettle landrover while you both shoot rabbits. Oh, and you have to like spiders. For some reason, spiders like boats.

That's 'cos they know that outside the boat is water and that's dangerous.  Also tigers.  Remember: "Never get out of the boat.  Absolutely goddam right."

I thought the tiger was inside the boat ???

*reaches for copy of Life of Pi*

The tiger was deffo on the outside of the boat (at least it was in Apocolypse Now).

LEE

« Reply #101 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:24:18 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Weihrauch, much better than BSA (better than almost anything else really).

HW97K (underlever) is on my things to buy one day.

Their HW100 (pre-charged) is the one I'd get if money were no object and lots of dead rabbits was my objective.

Reviving this thread because of this (18 months later...), my new toy.

I'd forgotten about this thread and have just done weeks of research, gun-holding and dithering before shelling out LOADS of cash on a Weihrauch HW97kT in .177 (Carbine with Thumb-hole stock) and a 3-9x50 scope.

It weighs a ton but it's pure quality. I wanted .177 for target-based shooting but there's a professional Vermin-Killer at the gun club who reckons a .177 is as good as .22 for rats and bunnies (he uses a .177 HW100 PCP).  The argument over 177 vs 22 has been going since I was a kid which tells me there's probaably no right or wrong answer.

I wanted a "Springer" first because they really teach you technique. I've wanted a Weihrauch forever and the Thumbhole stock felt more natural than the Air Arms TX200 (my 2nd choice).

The adjustable butt-pad means I can get the scope sitting perfectly in eye-line (you can see I've adjusted it for a perfect fit).  In that respect it helps justify the cost, a thumbhole stock and adjustable butt-pad make it a sort of "semi custom" gun.

« Reply #102 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:11:46 am »
Very nice!  My dads been whinging about his pre charged, it loses pressure in storage so he has to charge it up every time on the rare occasions he wants to use it.  Gave him my HW77 as I've no where to shoot at the moment.  The weihrauchs are built like tanks, thats definitely a gun for life!

LEE

« Reply #103 on: 18 November, 2011, 08:30:53 am »
The weihrauchs are built like tanks, thats definitely a gun for life!

That was my thought as well, I definitely wanted an "heirloom" quality gun.  It was shooting the gun club's HW77s that convinced me to get the Weihrauch HW97 (basically same gun updated slightly).  They are obviously used/abused a lot by learners but still felt tight as a drum with lots of positive clunks and clicks in all the right places.  I also learned why people rave about the (unchanged for 50 years) "Rekord" trigger.  Amazing to think that there is 12ft/lbs resting on it.

I also just bought A Warwkshire Lad's HW35 (which he had just bought at the beginning of this thread) as a bit of a tuning/renovation project and a gun that may be a bit easier for my kids to use (although the HW35 is no lightweight I think it's a bit safer/simpler for them to load than the HW97).

My new Weihrauch is the most accurate gun I've ever owned but I'm still astounded by the phenomenal accuracy of the PCPs at the shooting club.  One fella, using a full-spec PCP target rifle (which looked more like some stainless-steel plumbing than a gun) was using pellet holes as his targets at 50 yards ...and hitting them.

I'd rather delay getting a PCP though.  It's like getting a Compound Archery Bow before first learning to use a traditional Bow, they allow you to perform pretty well without needing to master correct technique.  It's mastering correct technique that allows you to start shooting a Compound Bow VERY well and not just pretty well.  I think that logic applies to Springers and PCPs (We'll see next year).

I'm also booked on a course of Archery lessons, starting next week, and I'm having my intermediate Shotgun/Clay lessons in December.

It's all part of my "What the hell do you do once you've done PBP?" new life (And I think I saw some Zombies on the news)

« Reply #104 on: 18 November, 2011, 11:14:11 am »
Good stuff.

I used to shoot when I was a teenager - bows and pistols. I was a terrible shot with either, but enjoyed it anyway. Very meditative and soothing.

Stepson is naturally a good shot - he's had a go with bows a few times. Wish I could get him out roaming about with an air rifle in the open air, it would be better for him than being hunched over a computer all day.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #105 on: 18 November, 2011, 07:46:47 pm »
I was interested to see all of this. I have a couple, actually 3 rifles but much older than these. The youngest is a Webley Mk3 in .22 (1960s - 70s on long term loan from brother) a BSA light model in .177 (more like a Lincoln Jeffries made around 1917 I think) and a Gem (probably smooth) in .25 ( probably made arond 1900 but who knows). The Gem is so underpowered that with a heavy .25 slug it is possible to see it move away from the muzzle and procede towards the target before bouncing off apologetically - hilarious. The other two are more serious propositions and although old, very nice weapons. I could do with a decent scope for the Webley though.

As mentioned before the argument regarding the advantage of .22 over .177 (or vice versa) has been done to death. My preference is generally for the smaller calibre if only for the flatter trajectory and reduction in windage but I doubt that there is really much in it. A few years ago .20 was held up as the ideal compromise, I think that this was more popular in the US (Sheridan Blue Streak etc). I don't know what the current fashion is.

I also have a number of pistols accumulated over the years, mainly Webleys. I used to pick them up as wrecks at boot fairs and rebuild them - I had access to a decent workshop with machine tools at the time...great fun! Well, I think that's my weekend sorted out after a bit of cycling!

LEE

« Reply #106 on: 19 November, 2011, 12:34:07 am »
I was interested to see all of this. I have a couple, actually 3 rifles but much older than these. The youngest is a Webley Mk3 in .22 (1960s - 70s on long term loan from brother) a BSA light model in .177 (more like a Lincoln Jeffries made around 1917 I think) and a Gem (probably smooth) in .25 ( probably made arond 1900 but who knows). The Gem is so underpowered that with a heavy .25 slug it is possible to see it move away from the muzzle and procede towards the target before bouncing off apologetically - hilarious. The other two are more serious propositions and although old, very nice weapons. I could do with a decent scope for the Webley though.

As mentioned before the argument regarding the advantage of .22 over .177 (or vice versa) has been done to death. My preference is generally for the smaller calibre if only for the flatter trajectory and reduction in windage but I doubt that there is really much in it. A few years ago .20 was held up as the ideal compromise, I think that this was more popular in the US (Sheridan Blue Streak etc). I don't know what the current fashion is.

I also have a number of pistols accumulated over the years, mainly Webleys. I used to pick them up as wrecks at boot fairs and rebuild them - I had access to a decent workshop with machine tools at the time...great fun! Well, I think that's my weekend sorted out after a bit of cycling!

This website has some good bargain scopes.

This (when it is in stock) is a good buy (unless you want something really serious) and I have it on the SMK rifle.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/riflescopes-ags/ags440-ags-cobalt-4x40-telescopic-rifle-sight-with-11mm-mounts.html

Lots of others on the site though.

Best to get an Parallax/AO scope though so you can focus precisely at different distances.  £50 buys a lot of scope nowadays.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #107 on: 19 November, 2011, 07:55:01 am »
I don't think a .177 air rifle will be much good on a zombie.  You need to destroy the brain stem.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #108 on: 19 November, 2011, 06:19:22 pm »
I don't think a .177 air rifle will be much good on a zombie.  You need to destroy the brain stem.

60Lb Compound Bow with Broadhead Arrows will destroy brain stems.

The .177 is for Zombie Bunnies

inc

« Reply #109 on: 19 November, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »

Air rifles are not a humane way to kill rabits, 6t ft/lbs min  in a vital area is required and that is a head shot  20-25 mtrs max.  Air weapons are great I have used them for a very long time but inanimate targets are best and a lot of fun. I have a Ripley Elite which I just love but for bunnies more energy is required.

LEE

« Reply #110 on: 19 November, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »

Air rifles are not a humane way to kill rabits, 6t ft/lbs min  in a vital area is required and that is a head shot  20-25 mtrs max. 

I'm afraid that's (Edit) not correct.

Air Rifles are used to kill hunderds/thousands of rabbits every day.  They make a sensible and economic way to kill them in fact (when compared to the cost of firearm cartridges)

Some people will miss a vital area and some won't.  That's not Air Rifle specific.

An Air Rifle, used properly to kill a Rabbit, provides an immediate a kill as is possible. 
You, yourself, suggest that 6 Ft/lb at 25 metres is adequate....where's your problem?  That's probably how most Air Rifle kills are achieved.  That's the skill in Bunny hunting, getting to within 25 metres.

I admit that once you get out to 40 metres it's probably not appropriate to take a "punt" on a kill, that's getting irresponsible but, where farmers are concerned, they aren't bothered too much by "humane", they are bothered about their crops being eaten.

"Humane" varies a lot by location and profession.

There was an upset cause on "I'm a Celebrity..." last year when a Rat was killed for food but I doubt whether any Hampshire farmers rang up to complain to ITV about the death of a Rat for food (They were probably too busy killing much larger mammals.....yes, that's where meat comes from).

inc

« Reply #111 on: 20 November, 2011, 11:20:33 am »

Air Rifles are used to kill hunderds/thousands of rabbits every day.

Some people will miss a vital area and some won't.  That's not Air Rifle specific.

An Air Rifle, used properly to kill a Rabbit, provides an immediate a kill as is possible. 

the skill in Bunny hunting, getting to within 25 metres.

I admit that once you get out to 40 metres it's probably not appropriate to take a "punt" on a kill, that's getting irresponsible

The problem with air weapons is they are just not powerfull enough to ensure a kill even when you hit the target. You say thousands are killed every day but how many more are wounded and die over the  following days or weeks. How many "sportsmen"  will have a "punt" at long  shots that will not kill. In open countyside 25 mtrs is very close. I have shot plenty of rabbits with an air rifle but not any more.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: 20 November, 2011, 11:36:28 am »
And how many birds are 'winged' by people taking inappropriate potshots with a 12 bore?

It's not what you use, it's how you use it.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

inc

« Reply #113 on: 20 November, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »

And another quote " Use the right tools for the job"     

« Reply #114 on: 20 November, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »
And how many birds are 'winged' by people taking inappropriate potshots with a 12 bore?

Damn near had a horse "winged" by a 12-bore yesterday!  Sodding gits need to be shooting AWAY from the private land/stables when they decide to go shooting next door!   >:(

When informed in no uncertain terms that they needed to cease and desist?  "Sorry mate, didn't see ya".   :facepalm:

And people wonder why some drivers don't see cyclists??  Apparently, some hunters can't see an entire farm with stables!!

LEE

« Reply #115 on: 20 November, 2011, 09:37:35 pm »

Exactly.

No guarantees that Rabbits are killed any more humanely using shotguns or rimfire rifles, they just guarantee that people take a "punt" from longer range.

All things being equal, like shootoing from 25 yards, then an air-rifle is less likely to kill a bunny than a shotgun (although I wouldn't eat one that had been shot at 25 yards with a shotgun..I value my teeth too much). 

Wanting to eat a Rabbit is the ONLY reason I will shoot one by the way. I'm not into "Trophy Hunting" at all.

You can't legislate for "sportmen" who are willing to shoot rabbits at innapropriate ranges for an air-rifle but I assume they are the same sort of people who would use any gun innapropriately (I've cycled along lanes with shot flying overhead, yes shooting over public highways.....f***ing clueless rich city bastards on a day's shooting by the look of the cars parked nearby).

An Air-rifle is a perfectly adequate tool for killing Rabbits humanely when used correctly...like any tool. 
30 yards max I'd say (where you can still be confident of hitting an area about the size of a 10p piece and there's still enough residual energy to do some damage).

I'm also sure there are many wounded rabbits out there (but caused by all types of weapons).

Anyway, I won't be shooting any Bunnies for a while, probably not until I get a PCP and some shooting rights on a farm.  I'm happy target shooting and want to do some HFT competition.

« Reply #116 on: 21 November, 2011, 11:44:53 am »
You can't legislate for "sportmen" who are willing to shoot rabbits at innapropriate ranges for an air-rifle but I assume they are the same sort of people who would use any gun innapropriately (I've cycled along lanes with shot flying overhead, yes shooting over public highways.....f***ing clueless rich city bastards on a day's shooting by the look of the cars parked nearby).
Ah, the sound of spent shot spattering through the leaves of the trees overhanging the lane up the steepest bit of Great Hill*, & onto the road! Or occasionally, bouncing off ones helmet, or back, or bike . . . .  >:(

Yeah. Arseholes.

*Se map - &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=474500&y=184500&z=120&sv=Lower+Assendon&st=3&tl=Map+of+Lower+Assendon,+Oxfordshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

LEE

« Reply #117 on: 23 November, 2011, 02:30:09 pm »
Can't go wrong with a Weihrauch, much better than BSA (better than almost anything else really).

HW97K (underlever) is on my things to buy one day.

Their HW100 (pre-charged) is the one I'd get if money were no object and lots of dead rabbits was my objective.

Reviving this thread because of this (18 months later...), my new toy.

I'd forgotten about this thread and have just done weeks of research, gun-holding and dithering before shelling out LOADS of cash on a Weihrauch HW97kT in .177 (Carbine with Thumb-hole stock) and a 3-9x50 scope.

It weighs a ton but it's pure quality. I wanted .177 for target-based shooting but there's a professional Vermin-Killer at the gun club who reckons a .177 is as good as .22 for rats and bunnies (he uses a .177 HW100 PCP).  The argument over 177 vs 22 has been going since I was a kid which tells me there's probaably no right or wrong answer.

I wanted a "Springer" first because they really teach you technique. I've wanted a Weihrauch forever and the Thumbhole stock felt more natural than the Air Arms TX200 (my 2nd choice).

The adjustable butt-pad means I can get the scope sitting perfectly in eye-line (you can see I've adjusted it for a perfect fit).  In that respect it helps justify the cost, a thumbhole stock and adjustable butt-pad make it a sort of "semi custom" gun.

Whoops! I did it again...

Courtesy of - A Warwickshire Lad - I'm now the proud owner of a classic Weihrauch HW35 (an Air Rifle that's been in continuous production for 50 years or so.).

I hope to invest some time (and money probably) getting it tuned eventually but it gives my daughter a more manageable gun to use for now.

My Bikes suffered an N-1 but my Air Rifles have compensated with N +2 this month.

« Reply #118 on: 23 November, 2011, 06:35:28 pm »
 :'( Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Glad it's gone to a good home as I hardly shot 100 pellets with it in the year I had it...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LEE

« Reply #119 on: 14 January, 2012, 06:07:07 pm »
Bored of the innocent little "plink" of your air rifle?

Then get some FIREBIRD EXPLODING TARGETS.   Well...that's what I did.

Here's one of them I shot at my shooting club this morning...it was MUCH more dramatic than I expected.

http://youtu.be/2irmzNEm4DA

That's a 3ftx2ft Steel plate it's attached to so you can see it's a fairly big explosion.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #120 on: 15 January, 2012, 09:39:50 am »
Terracotta flowerpots are quite satisfying.  Even small bits still explode nicely, so you can get a lot of fun from one frost-damaged pot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #121 on: 15 January, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »
Terracotta flowerpots are quite satisfying.  Even small bits still explode nicely, so you can get a lot of fun from one frost-damaged pot.

hmm...I'm extremely tempted to see what happens to a terracotta flower pot with one of these inside it now.

Maybe I should just grow up.

Edit.  Nah

LEE

« Reply #122 on: 02 June, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »
After my n+1 last year I may be doing an n+1 tomorrow

Air Arms S400 Superlight Classic

I've wanted a PCP for a while and something light, that my daughter can use.  This fits the bill on both counts and, 2nd hand, comes with a Scuba Tank and filling kit.

This is much more suited to Bunny-hunting than my superb, but heavy, Weihrauch HW97KT.  It should be almost silent when I fit a suppressor.

I want to have a go at "Hunter Field Target" shooting competitions (HFT) and this is perfectly suited (so I have read).  No excuses, the rifle would be better than me.

« Reply #123 on: 02 June, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »
IME you maybe a bit disappointed if you expect the rifle to be "almost silent" they still have a considerable thwack, enough to spook things near by,

for rabbits you can't beat .22 rim fire + moderator + sub sonic rounds = almost silent and good for 100m

LEE

« Reply #124 on: 03 June, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »
IME you maybe a bit disappointed if you expect the rifle to be "almost silent" they still have a considerable thwack, enough to spook things near by,

for rabbits you can't beat .22 rim fire + moderator + sub sonic rounds = almost silent and good for 100m

I'm not disappointed, there really isn't any "Thwack" apart from the pellet hitting stuff.  I don't have a FAC so it's Air Rifles for me at the moment.  I belong to a shooting club so I know how quiet PCP Air Rifles are when suppressed, no louder than a click of the fingers.

Anyway, I took my first shots with the Air Arms S400 today, only at 20 yards in a back garden but I have to say it's incredible.  Accurate beyond my expectations.  Sitting down it gives a 5p group, using a bench-rest (a cushion on a B&D Workmate) it gives pellet-sized groups.  I mean it stacks pellets on top of one another. 
It's probably the same action as used in Charlotte's Air Arms "Take-Down-Rifle" (Her nod to all movie Snipers, who sit on rooftops, assembling their guns out of attache cases)
Very impressed and it signifies the end of my Air Rifle buying.

Now my Air Arms PCP sits nicely next to my Weihrauch HW97.  2 great rifles that I hope will last a lifetime,

PS.  I have a Weihrauch HW35 for sale now with an AGS 4x40 Scope (Parallax set to 35yards). A bona fide classic Air gun

.177 calibre, in my own opinion, the most useful calibre (easier to shoot accurately over longer distances, cheaper ammunition and no less effective as a hunting tool than a .22 (see >50 years of, still ongoing, arguments about .177 vs .22 for shooting small animals.)

Scope shown in photo

Mechanicals are as smooth as silk.  I'm just never going to use it.

Some scratches to other side of stock.
£140