Author Topic: Coney's end  (Read 864 times)

Coney's end
« on: 03 July, 2010, 11:51:42 pm »
Yesterday, 2 rabbits jumped down from a high hedgebank as I was enjoying a gentle Warwickshire country lane descent. One just missed my front wheel. The second tried to dive between my wheels...

Why was it obvious from the thump as my rear wheel went over the poor creature that this was unlikely to be a minor injury? I stopped and looked back up the hill to see him writhing (presumably in agony) for about 10 seconds before he became still. Was that a quick death, or does a small mammal's higher metabolic rate make it a more lingering demise?

This was a new experience. I have previously smashed a pheasant while driving a car. I'd guess that death was pretty well instantaneous, but the car isolates you very effectively from the details. I've only just started to understand why that isn't necessarily a good idea.

Re: Coney's end
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 12:09:35 am »
Rabbits do the dance of death even if they are shot through the head and their brains are mushed so don't fret too much. NB I have never shot a bunny but a lot of people I know regularly shoot them for sport, profit or as pests.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Coney's end
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »
postscript. I broke the rabbit's back, but there was little sign of major abdominal organ damage.

I now know how to gut, skin, joint & cook a rabbit. That was very much driven by ethical considerations. I doubt I'll ever need to apply that new knowledge again.