Author Topic: More TdF - Sherwinisms  (Read 16034 times)

Snugsy

Re: More TdF - Sherwinisms
« Reply #75 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:15:16 am »
I think it's "Rance" or "Ronce" or maybe "Reence" that has the cathedral.

d.

You mean like that place in Haiti, Portop-rinse?

Snugsy

« Reply #76 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:15:49 am »
I lost count of the number of times Ligget used the word 'dour' yesterday

But did he mean "dour" as in English for miserable, or "dur"?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #77 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:45:01 am »
Liggett yesterday commented along the lines of 'Armstrong is still riding with the leaders which goes to show he's still got it and losing time the previous day was all down to bad luck'. As soon as he stopped talking Sherwin says 'Now Armstrong's cracked'

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #78 on: 14 July, 2010, 10:51:25 am »
Am I imagining it or has Phil Liggett on at least two separate occasions referred to A Big Hill in this year's race as "Alpe d'Huez"?

Is Alpe d'Huez now a generic name like Hoover?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #79 on: 14 July, 2010, 01:33:40 pm »
"This is the steepest part of the climb, and it gets steeper later on!" - Phiggett
Working my way up to inferior.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #80 on: 14 July, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »
Sherwin drive me nuts with his rambling rubbish ... and my friend Phil (see pic) seems to be being dragged down .... BUT be fair to them, they are commentating for several networks at the same time with varying rider interests in the English speaking world (pretty sure from what he said last time I saw him that it's UK, US, Australia, Canada & South Africa)

... the other thing .... why don't they just refer to riders by surname - that would be easier, surely - we all know Contador is Alberto ... obviously with exceptions for brothers and same name riders.

I'm the portly cyclist on the left  :hand:

LEE

« Reply #81 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:05:20 pm »
I think it's probably more difficult than anyone thinks.

They have 5-6 hours to fill with talk, they have constantly changing video streams and a huge bunch of people all dressed in identical clothes to differentiate between.

10 minutes of any of us doing it and we'd be begging for Sherwin and Ligget to return.

"Jens Voight doesn't know the meaning of the word "Give Up""

Is Gary Imlach actually Alan Partridge or did he just ask his Hairdresser for "the Partridge"

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #82 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:08:46 pm »
Is Gary Imlach actually Alan Partridge or did he just ask his Hairdresser for "the Partridge"

He's had the same haircut since he was doing American Football coverage for C4 in the 80s. An old girlfriend of mine always called him "Gary Haircut".

It's more a case of Alan Partridge having an Imlach!

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »
Imlach is almost certainly one of the prototype Partridges.  Along with Garry Richardson.
Getting there...

plum

« Reply #84 on: 14 July, 2010, 03:49:24 pm »
Just now on Eurosport, not sure which rider was being discussed:

'his riding ability comes from his ability to keep turning the pedals, one after the other.'

Most insightful.

« Reply #85 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:04:13 pm »
"10 minutes of any of us doing it and we'd be begging for Sherwin and Ligget to return."

I doubt that somehow. They are by far the worst commentators on TV.

« Reply #86 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:42:19 pm »
On today's stage he mentioned Hushovd and that he'd be looking "at taking points for the King of the....er,.." (at this point he could have stopped and said "sorry, I mean the Points/Green/Sprinters jersey..." but not him.  On he went "..er, the King of the Spinters jersey tomorrow"...

:facepalm:

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #87 on: 14 July, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »
"10 minutes of any of us doing it and we'd be begging for Sherwin and Ligget to return."

I doubt that somehow.

You would be in no doubt if I was commentating ;)

They are by far the worst commentators on TV.

They're not for me in terms of atmosphere, at least.  I'm not big into the minutiae of the race or the sport, so the gaffs don't bother me, when I even notice them.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #88 on: 14 July, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »

Not sure about Gary's hair this year ... but at least he's wearing a few different shirts this year, not that brown polo he's worn every day since the 2004 tour!

... and is it me, or is Chris Boardman squinting even more than he did before?  (perhaps it's the glare from all the filthy lucre he's now getting in royalties from Halfrods)

Rob

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #89 on: 14 July, 2010, 11:01:47 pm »

I doubt that somehow. They are by far the worst commentators on TV.

All football commentators are worse. All they have to do is list players' names, shout 'What a goal!' & mention 1966 at opportune moments. And they only have to babble for 50 or so minutes.

« Reply #90 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:38:20 am »
Yesterday we had the old " he's turning himself inside out" chestnut

and on pronunciations, who the hell was Yoshiba Beloki?    ;D ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #91 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:30:46 am »
It's a bit rich to criticise the colemantators' pronunciation of riders' names in a thread which can't even spell "Sherwen" correctly ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Si

« Reply #92 on: 15 July, 2010, 12:02:27 pm »
Excellent Spanish Inquisition sketch yesterday when they were listing the riders who had held yellow so far  ;D.

I have to say that, despite giggling at Sherwinisms, it's a job that I couldn't do and I don't have any real problems with their commentary.  Sure I'd prefer Harman and Duffers, but ITV4 is free for me so I'm happy to have their commentary team.  Could do with a few less adverts through, even for commercial TV it seems a little rich in them - imagine the outcry if they'd had so many in the World Cup coverage!

« Reply #93 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:57:50 pm »
Tour de France Live Video Streaming, Photos, Results - Guide to Pro Cycling Live Race Coverage - Watch Cycling TV | www.cyclingfans.com

They have links to Eurosport feeds. If you really miss Dave Harmon.

But what is Sean Kelly there for?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #94 on: 15 July, 2010, 07:28:50 pm »
It's a bit rich to criticise the colemantators' pronunciation of riders' names in a thread which can't even spell "Sherwen" correctly ???

Mea culpa.  :-[

But then, I'm not paid to swan around France telling us touristy stuff about chateauxeses an rivers an' that. Mind you, to be fair, he actually does an almost plausible job of sounding like he actually knows it rather than just reading it off a script.  ;)

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #95 on: 17 July, 2010, 08:16:26 am »

But then, I'm not paid to swan around France telling us touristy stuff about chateauxeses an rivers an' that. Mind you, to be fair, he actually does an almost plausible job of sounding like he actually knows it rather than just reading it off a script.  ;)

Well Eck, you may not know how to spell 'Sherwen' but you certainly know your Latin and your French (almost)  :thumbsup:
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #96 on: 17 July, 2010, 08:25:53 am »

Well Eck, you may not know how to spell 'Sherwen' but you certainly know your Latin and your French (almost)  :thumbsup:
???
Well Phil, Keef, it's "chateauxeseses" innit?  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #97 on: 17 July, 2010, 08:41:50 am »

???
Well Phil, Keef, it's "chateauxeseses" innit?  :thumbsup:

I'm sure it is (in Angus)  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #98 on: 19 July, 2010, 10:21:31 pm »
Phil L, as Andy Schleck is trying to minimize his losses on the descent: "It's 24 seconds as we speak.  The computer's running around like a very big machine today".

LEE

« Reply #99 on: 20 July, 2010, 10:00:43 am »
Excellent commentary from the great one  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D568_-2E2Uo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/D568_-2E2Uo&rel=1</a>