Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 48121 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Chickens
« Reply #75 on: 16 November, 2008, 11:52:33 pm »
Now I think I've got the main feed sorted what to do with the other end?

It's still another 2 months before my chickens arrive but I'm keen to know how much chicken shit a chicken shits.  I was in Homebase today and saw 10kg for £8. Granted it was compressed and dried and probably smelled lovely, but what sort of output suitable for the garden are we talking about here?

Look at the size of a bag of pellets. Subtract from that about 60 eggs (though much of that will be water). The rest  is dried and compressed chicken poo. Then add in the wood shavings/straw. A few worms, grass etc.

IME a non-trivial amount.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #76 on: 22 November, 2008, 06:00:31 pm »
Betty:

Gloria:

Henny Penny:

The girls together, picking at the veg plot:

Pen Pusher

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #77 on: 10 December, 2008, 02:02:11 pm »
With the base of the permanent run now laid work can start proper on the run itself. Hoping to have all of the frame in place by the end of this coming weekend, then the table for the chicken house, perches and the roof on by the end of the following weekend. Getting them in in time for Christmas.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #78 on: 10 December, 2008, 03:02:34 pm »
We're in the process of making a fully enclosed run for ours so they're safe when we're away. Mrs W bought an automatic pop-hole opening device which I have to say is marvellous! The only slight problem was that the first day it was operational I was delayed in getting home. It was already dark upon my return, the device had not been adjusted for the correct light level and the chooks got locked out! Two had roosted in a tree (good job I'm not afraid of heights) and the other looked sort of lost... We're all sorted now :thumbsup:
Pen Pusher

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #79 on: 10 December, 2008, 03:06:24 pm »
Gloria is lovely!
It is simpler than it looks.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #80 on: 10 December, 2008, 03:10:50 pm »
Cool, sounds good Woofage. We'll still be using the Eglu for their house, so no such fancy dan electronics. They're getting frustrated in their small run during the day during the week when we're working - have taken to ripping out the newspaper from the poop tray and scattering it about.

The new run has at least 4 times the floorspace and height, a bush to root about under, it'll have a dustbath, and a few perches, so they should be happy with it!

We've got a Hennypenny as well (Miss Hennypenny - for the Bond Reference. Princess Layer was vetoed in favour of Margot). Just a couple of red-brown mongrels - Mel's already decided that next time we get some speciality breeds.

David Martin

« Reply #81 on: 10 December, 2008, 03:33:45 pm »
We have just put a load of bark chippings down now they have removed all the grass from the run. They seem quite happy. I built a climbing frame for them and will add more bits like that soon.

..d

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #82 on: 10 December, 2008, 04:55:32 pm »
A pal of mine has a hen named Sylvia.

He's always tickled pink when he asks visitors if they would like to meet Sylvia and they give the perplexed reply "Who is Sylvia?" ::-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #83 on: 10 December, 2008, 04:57:53 pm »
That's a bit obscure. I bet not many of his guests work out the joke.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

David Martin

« Reply #84 on: 10 December, 2008, 05:12:50 pm »
That's a bit obscure. I bet not many of his guests work out the joke.

I haven't worked it out either.

???
..d

border-rider

« Reply #85 on: 10 December, 2008, 05:17:39 pm »
Could have called it Alice I s'pose.

« Reply #86 on: 10 December, 2008, 05:27:44 pm »
I have it's Shakespeare unless it's even more obscure. Knowing WoW she is probably the first Lithuanian Grand Master of the 20th century and terribly famous in Chess circles.

Who Is Silvia?

Who is Silvia? what is she,
        That all our swains commend her?
 Holy, fair, and wise is she;
        The heaven such grace did lend her,
 That she might admirèd be.

Is she kind as she is fair?
        For beauty lives with kindness.
 Love doth to her eyes repair,
        To help him of his blindness,
 And, being helped, inhabits there.

Then to Silvia let us sing,
        That Silvia is excelling;
 She excels each mortal thing
        Upon the dull earth dwelling:
 To her let us garlands bring.

« Reply #87 on: 11 December, 2008, 09:20:32 am »
And also very famously arranged by Schubert.

David Martin

« Reply #88 on: 15 December, 2008, 12:15:14 am »
One of my chickens is sneezing. Should I be worried?

..d

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #89 on: 15 December, 2008, 11:12:07 am »
One of my chickens is sneezing. Should I be worried?

..d

Should be okay. We had one who started sneezing but was fine after a day or two. Now if they start 'gaping' as if to gasp air, it's possible they've got gapeworm and need a course of Flubenvet (cleared ours up beautifully).

The run is coming on, should have them in by the end of next Sunday.

« Reply #90 on: 15 December, 2008, 02:47:45 pm »
Wow! It might sound silly but it never occured to me that a chicken run could be anything but wood coloured. That's so funky I fancy moving in myself.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #91 on: 15 December, 2008, 02:49:52 pm »
That's just given me a Really Good Idea.

*reaches for hot pink paint*

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #92 on: 16 December, 2008, 06:07:59 pm »
That's so funky I fancy moving in myself.

But if you don't lay at least one egg a week, he'll make you into soup.  :o
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

David Martin

« Reply #93 on: 17 December, 2008, 12:30:58 am »
Wow! It might sound silly but it never occured to me that a chicken run could be anything but wood coloured. That's so funky I fancy moving in myself.

Did you not see mine? Nice nordic coloured little house..

..d

« Reply #94 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:07:31 am »
Ah yes! Just looked back and seen it.

BUT, note that your outside fencing bit is still plain wood - i think you need to get the red paint out!

David Martin

« Reply #95 on: 17 December, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
Ah yes! Just looked back and seen it.

BUT, note that your outside fencing bit is still plain wood - i think you need to get the red paint out!

Did you not see the door?  :D

One chicken still sneezing. Might be vet time..

..d

« Reply #96 on: 17 December, 2008, 11:46:55 am »
Poor chicken, I know how it feels. I decided I had gapeworm, yesterday, as I coughed and gasped for air.

« Reply #97 on: 17 December, 2008, 12:00:21 pm »
Our little Bantam keeps getting a problem with one of her eyes. I think she gets stuff trapped behind her eyelid and it gets yucky. We clean it up with warm salt water but it reoccurs every few months. She seems happy enough otherwise though. Lovely red comb etc. I may be a bit harsh but I don't know anyone who would take a chicken to a vet (know too many farmers I guess).

« Reply #98 on: 19 December, 2008, 09:26:12 pm »
When I were a lad, we always had chickens, as did my grandparents.

The housing was totally traditional: a portable (by two people) wooden chicken house. Last one was made from old pallets,discarded because broken - like my old compost bin (recycled when it got too rotten). A few (three, I think - it was a long time ago) laying boxes on the sides with hinged roofs, angled down to shed rain, hooks & eyes to hold them down - to stop foxes & cats. Bar along the side, immediately above the laying boxes, which both kept rain off the hinges, & provided a handy grip for lifting the house. Each side of the roof hinged up for access to the interior for cleaning. Tarpaper covered roof & laying box roofs. House door was a bit of wood that slid vertically in grooves, held up by string looped round a nail. They could be shooed inside & the door shut at night, for their own protection. The house didn't have a floor, but plenty of perches inside, & was moved fairly often - sometimes with the chickens inside - a bit of indignant clucking ensued. To stop the chickens from roaming everywhere when there was nobody to keep an eye on them, there was a separate wire run which could be loosely attached.

I've seen almost identical houses in photos from before my granddad was born. Well, if it works, don't fix it.

Chickens which are enclosed, but moved whenever they've de-vegetated the area inside the run, seem quite happy. They get a bit grumpy if left on bare ground, but perk up as soon as they're moved onto a fresh patch, especially if it's nicely overgrown with assorted weeds. Love it! Recently vacated patches are well fertilised - simply dig over and plant, then stand back so as not to be struck in the face by the plants shooting up.

I spent much of my childhood collecting eggs, feeding chickens (they love kitchen scraps), & replacing the straw in laying boxes (compostable, when used). As I remember, I quite enjoyed it, & with that experience, I realise that small numbers of chickens are easy to care for.

I must admit, my grandfathers idea of what to do with a sick or old chicken was to turn it into dogfood. A vets bill was a lot more than a new chicken. My mother turned the ill & old into food for a neighbours ferrets. She got hers ex-battery - industrial chicken farmers top 'em young, with years of laying left in 'em albeit at a reduced rate. Their spacious new home & varied diet seemed to give them a new lease of life. They were a bit wary of the  outdoors at first, & had to be started off in the less scary wire run, with the house to retreat into, but soon decided they liked it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #99 on: 22 December, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »
There's a big snagging list for the weekend, but the girls will be moving in tomorrow morning before we go to work....