Author Topic: Car Culture  (Read 21868 times)

Re: Car Culture
« Reply #150 on: 24 July, 2010, 10:27:01 pm »
The investment of so much time, energy and money in the one artefact that it becomes central to ones ego and the yardstick by which ones relationship to the world is measured.  Eg if someone shows displeasure at your revving up unecessarily as you go past them to show off, it must be because they're envious of your car and all it represents, mustn't it?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #151 on: 25 July, 2010, 01:59:22 pm »
-the expectation being that cars have priority over pedestrians etc when coming out of side roads, trying to overtake etc. (tho' tbh 95+% drivers are pretty good)
There's a strange and impractical rule in Poland that alters priority between vehicle and pedestrian when a vehicle crosses the pavement, according to their relative directions. ...

I can't speak for the Poles, but the rule in the Czech Republic is that drivers must give always way to pedestrians wanting to cross the road at a crossing and give way to pedestrians when making a turn (i.e. wanting to turn left / right onto a road which the ped is crossing). The reasoning is that the pedestrians can't be expected to constantly look for much faster-moving cars.
Yes, the same rule applies in Poland, and works well with turning cars, but it's only recently that drivers outside the biggest cities have started showing any respect for pedestrian crossings other than at a junction.

The situation I was referring to, though, is when a vehicle has to cross the pavement to enter a property.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

janm399

« Reply #152 on: 26 July, 2010, 04:30:49 pm »

Yes, the same rule applies in Poland, and works well with turning cars, but it's only recently that drivers outside the biggest cities have started showing any respect for pedestrian crossings other than at a junction.

The situation I was referring to, though, is when a vehicle has to cross the pavement to enter a property.

Ah, I didn't think of that. Going back to the original topic, I'd love the drivers to realise that driving [and owning a car, house, ..., for that matter] is not a right, but a privilege and it comes with strings attached.
It's a shame to see the entire Europe (the UK as well as the Czech Republic) heading towards being more selfish and more important than all others.

OT: how do you like riding in the UK?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #153 on: 26 July, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »

Ah, I didn't think of that. Going back to the original topic, I'd love the drivers to realise that driving [and owning a car, house, ..., for that matter] is not a right, but a privilege and it comes with strings attached.
It's a shame to see the entire Europe (the UK as well as the Czech Republic) heading towards being more selfish and more important than all others.

OT: how do you like riding in the UK?
How do I like riding in the UK? Well, I used to enjoy it when I lived there! Now I live in Poland, where I find the drivers more respectful of cyclists - maybe because there is still less traffic, although it's increasing, or maybe because that's the way they're taught, or perhaps just because there are more day-to-day utility cyclists - I don't know. But the scenery and country lanes tend to be more beautiful in many parts of the UK.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.