Author Topic: Carrying a dog on a bike  (Read 16364 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Carrying a dog on a bike
« Reply #50 on: 01 September, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »
Well she's been kongless in the bike basket, able to see what's going on, and I think isn't that fussed about it. Plus she's currently too small for the harness we've bought for her (it should fit in 2 weeks' time) so would only be restrained by the neck which I don't fancy. The front of the TailWagon has lots of air vents so I imagine she is getting a fair bit of fresh air.

I'm just about to order an X-Small buoyancy aid for her so she can go out sailing with James properly next week!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #51 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:08:37 am »
Cracking day yesterday with Ted at the Skyride in London.

He got tons of attention in his trailer as we made our (slow) way around the route and he was really well behaved and clearly enjoying the ride. When he got particularly excited he'd stand up and pop his head out of his "sun roof" - which only increased the attention of course.

The loud zones through the tunnels weren't very pleasant for him but he perked up as soon as we emerged back into daylight.

On the way back when we were somehow able to make steady progress, he just lay down and went to sleep. I think the fact his trailer is also his car crate really helps him feel comfortable.

The next step will be to ride where there's some car traffic and then to riding in slow, heavy traffic but it's looking good so far.

a great mind thinks alike

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #52 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:15:34 pm »
Did you see the guy being towed by three huskies?
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #53 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »
Did you see the guy being towed by three huskies?

I heard people talking about him but never actually saw him on the route. Shame - they're lovely dogs.

a great mind thinks alike

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #54 on: 06 September, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »
Well Poppy went out for a 5 mile trailer ride two days ago. The first two miles were quiet as she chewed her peanut butter-stuffed Kong, then she started squeaking a little. She was sitting up looking out of her little window.

She makes the squeaks at other times which are almost always when she's shut behind the baby gate and wants to join us. It's the "Can I be let out now to play with you?" noise. I assume that if she gets no reaction to it (I ignore it on the trike and behind the baby gate) she'll realise it's fruitless. However 5 miles in the trailer was a good journey and I am sure she will get used to it soon enough.

I shall take her out now for a little 1 mile circuit to mix-and-match the journey lengths to keep her from getting bored.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #55 on: 07 September, 2010, 08:14:15 pm »
Just got back from an hour at the pub during which Poppy was excellently behaved. We went in the trailer and after she'd eaten all the peanut butter from her Kong she started whining again. She was excellent in the pub, chewing her bully stick happily, and then started singing on the way home in the trailer again (we stopped for a 5 minute walk on the way back).

I think she may just be a bit noisy in the trailer until she learns it doesn't make any difference. I am sure it's because she wants to be outside running rather than confined, as it's the same noise she makes when we shut her in the kitchen. When her attention is on the Kong she doesn't mind at all.

I'm trying to decide whether to also persevere with the bike basket (which is tricky to use with kongs/chews as she will probably post them out of the bars) or just keep with the trailer.