Author Topic: Boxes for large Y-Frame trailer? Combining gardening and cycling!  (Read 31811 times)

Re: Boxes for large Y-Frame trailer? Combining gardening and cycling!
« Reply #75 on: 25 March, 2012, 02:12:06 pm »
I just got a B&Q Jumbo Tote box, which seems quite a handy size for my purposes.  It's not quite as wide as Kim's box, but suitable for me, so I can use it for Sainsburys runs, and similar.

I'll probably get a triangular reflector for the rear, but just the one in the middle.  I haven't yet fitted the legs to it.  I'll only fit a couple, because the left and right hand side ones are probably not quite within the footprint of the box.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #76 on: 25 March, 2012, 04:03:48 pm »
It's positively aero :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #77 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:40:06 pm »
I've a aluminium box bolted directly to the frame of my large Y frame trailer.

It started out at ~150 liters in size but I've found out over the last 2 years that I don't need all that room.
So I've cut around 1/3 in hight out and pop rivited the two halves back together.
Also the old trailer had the wooden board undernether and this one doesn't so its also around half the weight.
I just need to add lights, mudguards, flag and reflectors to finish it off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:50:21 pm »
Who's that committing crimes against fashion in the foreground?   ;D

« Reply #79 on: 28 March, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »
I've added my trailer flag and 4x orange/yellow striped trailer boards ( one on each corner) to my trailer.
Now just need to add lights, triangle reflectors and mudguards to finish it.

Not sure how I'm going to do the mudguards.
Not sure if I'll use the old trike mudguards I've got or a strip of aluminium bent into a curve to fit over the tops of the wheels ???????

« Reply #80 on: 28 March, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
Lightly hacked BS trailer reflectors and Smart rear light bracket complete the job:

Out of interest Kim, why did you slice up the reflectors?  As far as I can work out, the law says that a bicycle trailer needs a triangular reflector (with ECE mark III or IIIA), so you probably could have gotten away with a single one mounted in the centre.

I've got two on order, so when they turn up, I can choose to mount one or two on my box, depending on size and fit etc.  Not using one would waste a whole £1-50 or so, which wouldn't overly upset me!

(Interestingly, I notice that I've just fitted exactly the same Smart rear light onto mine!)

Edit: Apparently whilst the UK fairly minimal regulations on bicycle trailers seem to require a triangular reflector, it looks like the German regulations explicitly forbid a triangular one (whilst requiring a rear reflector, and front and side ones, which don't appear at all in the UK regs).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #81 on: 28 March, 2012, 11:01:55 pm »
It never really occurred to me to only use a single reflector.  I considered making triangles that would fit properly with the red tape, but I already had the reflectors and only one strip of red reflective tape left over from barakta's flag.  I also considered hacking the box, but I decided that compromising the structural ridges would be silly.

Anyway, two reflectors makes it look wide, which can only be a good thing.

While we're on this thread, I used the trailer with the box for the first time the other day, to do a bulk shop from a Tesco about 4 fairly non-flat miles away.  I had about 30kg of stuff in it, including 24 litres of orange juice and a couple of bulk packs of loo roll, and the box was only about half full.  Hills were climbable with that load, though I would have wanted the trike for anything heavier.  Descending was fine, but sharp braking and travelling at less than 5mph were a bit 'interesting'.

It's impressively non-rattly when there's a decent load in it.  Even on the potholes.  And drivers suddenly become uber-patient and polite.

What I did learn, was that there's no way I can lift the box off (or indeed onto) the trailer with that sort of weight in it, which means it won't go through the door.  Not really a problem, just something to be aware of when loading up.

« Reply #82 on: 29 March, 2012, 01:02:49 am »
Cars tend to be only slightly better with the trailer on behind the trike than without.
But then again I'm starting with the bent effect on cars anyway ............  ;D

But I tend to leave it on as it get stops cars sitting on my back wheel which is only inches from my head.

Plus, if I try hard enough, I cannot reverse the trailer while on the trike without jacknifing it ........  :demon:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #83 on: 29 March, 2012, 01:12:45 pm »
Cars tend to be only slightly better with the trailer on behind the trike than without.
But then again I'm starting with the bent effect on cars anyway ............  ;D

I'm finding that upwrong + trailer seems to get loads more room and politeness than either flavour of 'bent.  Presumably because of the "Aww, it's a gurl hauling lots of stuff, poor thing, if only she could afford a car" effect.

Not tried the trailer onna bent yet, but I doubt it'll add much WTF-factor to the trike, as they're about the same width and height, and the trike has a powerful wtf-factor anyway.

« Reply #84 on: 29 March, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »
Right, I've now got a couple of triangular reflectors, white backed ones as well, so completely legal on a dark background (such as my box).  I may put both of them on the box, mainly depending on finding enough suitable bolts to attach them.

« Reply #85 on: 29 March, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »
I'm finding that upwrong + trailer seems to get loads more room and politeness than either flavour of 'bent.  Presumably because of the "Aww, it's a gurl hauling lots of stuff, poor thing, if only she could afford a car" effect.
Hmmm.
Me & No2Daughter with trailer clearly got some 'Jesus what an evil parent making a child do that, lets kill 'em off and save her from years of misery'.
Or it could have been the Fetfud effect.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #86 on: 29 March, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »
I admit that so far my trailer-hauling has been limited to relatively quiet roads (like the new bypass that nobody really uses) and dual carriageways, outside of peak hours.  I expect that pulling a trailer down the Pershore Road in rush hour would bring out the best of brummie.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #87 on: 29 March, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »
On the whole we find more room and courtesy being given when we're towing a trailer. 

I don't know whether it's because people have seen bikes hauling trailers with kids/dogs/cats in (not that our Radical Cyclone could ever carry a kid or whatever!). 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #88 on: 29 March, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
We seem to get a fair ammount of respect when out with trike and trailer. I think it's something to do with the ammount of wheels and sheer size lol.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #89 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »
My missus and I have had (and damaged) quite a few supermarket and DIY store boxes in the past. Not in the way of some sadistic recreation, but routine domestic storage and events. Many seem brittle and easy to shatter.
 The yellow Curver box I found in one corner of the garage seems made of sterner stuff though not overly large, maybe 50 litres? It went well on the CFY until repossessed by my lady for mundane storage duties.
 The 84 litre Really Useful Box fits easily onto the CFY large platform and I loop a couple of bungees through the front and rear holes onto the box rim. The box overlaps about half of those holes. It is a thicker and more flexible plastic than most storage boxes, and I have the lid in case of lightweight or damp sensitive cargo.

« Reply #90 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:46:29 am »
What about this ikea one; 78x56x43 cm/130 Litres:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90102971/

Only 10 pounds.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #91 on: 23 April, 2015, 06:22:30 pm »
It'll fit but those boxes are prone to cracking, especially having been exposed to sunlight.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #92 on: 23 April, 2015, 11:51:19 pm »
It would also involve a trip to Ikea  :hand:

« Reply #93 on: 26 April, 2015, 11:38:22 am »
I managed to pick up a standard  145 litre really useful box for a (bargain) few pounds  (its missing its lid):

it looks like it will just about fit a Circe atlas Trailer.

I presume some Duct tape around the sides will be needed as reinforcement.

Are the really strong versions also made of polypropylene or something else (the recycle symbol should give a clue)? Also is either version UV proof (if left outdoors)?

Can UV protection be added belatedly: ("sunscreen" for plastic boxes :) ) ?

« Reply #94 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:25:21 pm »
Further to the previous post:

it seems on the Circe Atlas, the 145 litre box only has 0.5inch gap to each wheel and carry freedom manual recommends 1inch(25mm)  for boxes: so it would need to fixed to avoid any sideways movement at all.....

Any answers to my plastic questions?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #95 on: 27 April, 2015, 12:50:04 pm »
My box is buried under a mass of drying tent at present, so I can't easily inspect it for markings.  FWIW, the 'strong' material is the stuff that forms white stress marks rather than cracking.  No idea what it's like with UV, mine lives indoors.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #96 on: 27 April, 2015, 11:43:30 pm »
Further to the previous post:

it seems on the Circe Atlas, the 145 litre box only has 0.5inch gap to each wheel and carry freedom manual recommends 1inch(25mm)  for boxes: so it would need to fixed to avoid any sideways movement at all.....

Any answers to my plastic questions?

Providing you're using the locator feet or bolting the box down it shouldn't matter about the clearence as long as it's not touching. My last sound system was just 5mm short.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #97 on: 28 April, 2015, 05:51:35 pm »
My box is buried under a mass of drying tent at present, so I can't easily inspect it for markings.

Tent dried and packed, trailer extracted, used for a recycling/shopping run and strong Really Useful Box examined:  The recycling mark on the underside of the box is '5' with "PP" underneath.  I assume that means polypropylene.  There doesn't seem to be a mark on the lid, but it appears to be the same stuff.

« Reply #98 on: 28 April, 2015, 07:21:46 pm »
..... strong Really Useful Box examined:  The recycling mark on the underside of the box is '5' with "PP" underneath.  I assume that means polypropylene.  There doesn't seem to be a mark on the lid, but it appears to be the same stuff.

So it would appear both standard and strong boxes are polypropylene.

I have looked up  PP on the web:
it seems it is resistant to fatigue cracking (eg used by those folding picnic bowls etc).
it is sometimes mixed with ethylene for improved impact resistance. I don't know if that would disallow a 5 recycle symbol.
http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/polymers/PP.aspx

PP  isn't naturally  UV resistant unless UV protective additives are, err,  added :). However, it seems acrylic laquer can be used as a UV blocking coating. http://www.plasticmentor.com/97/which-plastic-materials-are-uv-stable/

My  box has survived some drilling...

« Reply #99 on: 29 April, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
These are cheap and UV proof:
http://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/multi_tubs/multi-tub_%28rectangular__slash__90_litre%29
They are supplied with some cheap trailers .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Trailer-Loads-Trolley-Trailer-90l-/370881071409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item565a3c0931
Probably suit the y small, as well as the large and Circe Atlas  too.

Wouls need a fabric/tarp lid of course..