Author Topic: AUK AGM & Reunion - Who's Going?  (Read 39761 times)

Re: AUK AGM & Reunion - Who's Going?
« Reply #200 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:01:58 am »
It's all gone a bit white outside in York.  Hope those who are riding are keeping safe and warm enough!

Can you let us know what it's like in about 10 hours time ? either on here or txt me

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #201 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:14:51 am »
Met office have a weather warning out for the east coast until 1100 tomorrow for snow

« Reply #202 on: 27 November, 2010, 12:20:01 am »
Snowing here now :-(. No AGM for me it seems

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #203 on: 27 November, 2010, 06:42:48 am »
Knackered after time trialling across the fens & was in bed by 9:30. Up at 5 this morning to be greeted by winter wonderland. About 4" of proper crunchy snow out there. Bother!

« Reply #204 on: 27 November, 2010, 07:25:20 am »
Snow here too.
Having breakfast, will venture out soon to see if it is passable. Apparently the M1 is closed. Good thing I won't be needing it  ;)

« Reply #205 on: 27 November, 2010, 08:37:52 am »
We're setting-off from Tewkesbury in a few minutes time, roads all clear although the fields are a greener shade of pale.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #206 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:08:31 am »
Off from KX - Light dusting on the way in; we'll see how up country is
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #207 on: 27 November, 2010, 11:44:07 am »
A nice training ride for me up from Peterborough:

I took the Dervla Murphy option at Newark (proceed with something else providing propulsion).
1/it took me 5 1/2 hours to get there - likelihood of finishing out of time even if I hurried up
2/cycling through snow is like cycling through treacle, with the added bonus of the snow between wheel and mudguard giving extra braking power
3/ it was going to get snowier and colder (actually it was pretty warm, it was more not being able to see anything due to snow glinting in my lights/snow stuck on my glasses), I just didn't fancy when it all froze up
4/premier inn in Newark had a chair in reception I could sit in, motionless, for 3 hours until there was a train ... directly to York

Am now at CrinklyLion's being fed etc. along with boab.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #208 on: 27 November, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »
It's all gone a bit white outside in York.  Hope those who are riding are keeping safe and warm enough!

Can you let us know what it's like in about 10 hours time ? either on here or txt me

Sorry Mr Nesbitt - I didn't spot this before.  There's still plenty of snow around, but the main roads are mostly slushy or clear and we haven't had any more that I've noticed since before I went to the station to meet boab last night. 

She, and Ara on her ladies bike for ladies, have set off for the pub.  They may have some crinklycake about their persons.....

« Reply #209 on: 27 November, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »
I abandoned. The A38 was completely blocked with stationary traffic. With four-six inches of snow I couldn't get around it. The back roads had precisely the wrong sort of snow for riding on (impossible to get traction or keep the bike upright). There was no way I'd be able to get up enough speed to cover the couple of hundred miles I needed to do (to the AGM, then back to a travelodge ready to go to another meeting tomorrow).
I decided it wasn't sensible to continue, with a real risk of me becoming stranded somewhere (and certainly not much fun), so I turned round and headed home, where I am now. So I travelled 300 miles round trip to spend a few hours in a Travelodge bed  :)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #210 on: 28 November, 2010, 11:30:46 am »
ADD Apocalypse sees southern sorties with miles to go scrambling for motor assisted transport.

RichF on the train, Steve Abs (sans bike) & Manotea (with bike) in the USS Melk. Zoom insisted on setting off home on silly B roads and rescued after 10km with cold hands after fixing a puncture.

High jinks route finding but I think we are safe for a while now we are on the M1.

Iddu missing, reports suggest he set off for home last night after dinner!!!

DanialW

« Reply #211 on: 28 November, 2010, 02:21:10 pm »
I didn't do my dart in the end - I thought riding east would be lunacy.

I did ride home though - 90km round Wetherby, North Leeds, Bradford and Halifax. It was a bloody gorgeous day to be out on the bike, and TBH I could have happily stayed out until it got dark.

« Reply #212 on: 28 November, 2010, 03:16:08 pm »
So I travelled 300 miles round trip to spend a few hours in a Travelodge bed  :)

Some would say that is the perfect Audax

« Reply #213 on: 28 November, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »
It was close to perfect, though it didn't have a Tesco as the turn around point. However, when I went past the TL into Alfreton in search of some warm food the nice man in the chippy gave me two large pieces of fish (each of which I'd have considered a reasonable serving) and a decent sized portion of chips for £3.50  :thumbsup:

DanialW

« Reply #214 on: 28 November, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »
It was close to perfect, though it didn't have a Tesco as the turn around point. However, when I went past the TL into Alfreton in search of some warm food the nice man in the chippy gave me two large pieces of fish (each of which I'd have considered a reasonable serving) and a decent sized portion of chips for £3.50  :thumbsup:

Coincidentally, just as you posted on here that you'd packed, I was asking someone if they'd seen you. I was ever so slightly concerned you'd not turned up. Glad all is well.

« Reply #215 on: 28 November, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »
Who's managed to get home again? (I let the train take most of the strain).

DanialW

« Reply #216 on: 28 November, 2010, 04:57:36 pm »
John Radford and friends were planning to ride to Mirfield via the A64 cycle path. It was only on my ride home that it occurred to me that it probably wasn't gritted. I hope they didn't get stuck.

« Reply #217 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

Coincidentally, just as you posted on here that you'd packed, I was asking someone if they'd seen you. I was ever so slightly concerned you'd not turned up. Glad all is well.

Thanks for the concern. I didn't find anywhere to sit down and eat whilst riding back (not that I tried particularly hard), and didn't want to stand fiddling with my phone in the cold to post. I did try from the one garage stop I made, but had trouble accessing the forum  :(

Billy Weir

« Reply #218 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:16:26 pm »
Who were the trophy winners this year?

DanialW

« Reply #219 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:33:32 pm »
Who were the trophy winners this year?

Marcus for distance, Jackie Popland for, like, everything, Steve Snook for services to AUK, Rob Bialek for being totally hardcore, boab for fixed (os) and something else I think.

I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #220 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »
I rode 100km or so to my Mum's.

Left York with the Derby Mercury quartet (Jim Hopper, Ed Hargraves, Jim & Harry Crew) in glorious sunshine. Had tea & soup at a cafe in Howden. Jim and Harry left us at Belton to get the train from Doncaster.

My freewheel started slipping after Howden, and after a stop for coffee & cake with Jim and Ed at Epworth Garden Centre the pawls wouldn't engage at all, so I cable-tied the big sprocket to the spokes (not easy when it's snowing) and got back without further mishap. The only time I had to ride on compacted snow was the last 400 metres down Willingham High St.

Many thanks to Ed and Jim for helping with the bodge.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #221 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »
Ian H Sir, are you now the new Chair..

Doffs cap.. :thumbsup:
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #222 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »
John Radford and friends were planning to ride to Mirfield via the A64 cycle path. It was only on my ride home that it occurred to me that it probably wasn't gritted. I hope they didn't get stuck.

Jackie popland offered me a lift home instead of the train, but I declined. I changed my mind when Mel Kirkland offered, thinking it'd be good to talk to someone for a change.
We spied John Radford and a friend along the A64.
Mel tried his best to get lost, but had me with a map and manotea with a satnav an we just about managed to keep him on track. Tears were shed and I haven't laughed that much in a while, probably since Ian H got his wheel stuck in a wall pumping his tyre up.
We also rescued Zoom, who had chosen to use the icy B roads instead of the A19 and had managed to put a hole in his tyre...

My freewheel started slipping after Howden, and after a stop for coffee & cake with Jim and Ed at Epworth Garden Centre the pawls wouldn't engage at all, so I cable-tied the big sprocket to the spokes (not easy when it's snowing) and got back without further mishap. The only time I had to ride on compacted snow was the last 400 metres down Willingham High St.

Many thanks to Ed and Jim for helping with the bodge.

When you get to Milton Keynes on Wednesday, I can fix your bike properly.

Gears!... ::-) :P

« Reply #223 on: 28 November, 2010, 05:56:06 pm »
Ian H Sir, are you now the new Chair..

Doffs cap.. :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm just reading the instruction book that came with the gavel. Keith will be a hard act to follow.

« Reply #224 on: 28 November, 2010, 06:29:16 pm »
Tears were shed and I haven't laughed that much in a while, probably since Ian H got his wheel stuck in a wall pumping his tyre up.

Sir is this in the Manual..  :thumbsup: to Keith..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021