Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano Plus  (Read 36042 times)

Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus - fit?
« Reply #25 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
Rear tyre is getting large cuts very rapidly - and puncturing on a weekly basis.

So looking for something fastish and puncture-resistant.

I have a Chrina rim - so fit can be difficult. What are the Durano Plus like compared to, say, Krylion Carbon?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus
« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »
Different type of tyre. Durano is more robust but not as light rolling. I don't think you can have both qualities in one tyre. That said Krylions aren't meant to be mega durable, they are more like racing tyres with a teeny bit more resistance to puncture and wear.

If you are using Chrinas then you probably be pleased with the Duranos. Highonbikes usually have a good price

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »
I know they are different types - I'm trying to get a fit comparison.

I know that even used continental GP4S are nearly impossible to fit. Vittoria go on after a fight. Paselas need stretching. Krylions are similar to vittoria.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #28 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:23:10 pm »
Can't help you there, other than to say they slip on nicely onto Open Pros

« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:37:48 pm »
I had an Open Pro - the paselas just about fell off it. I could remove them one-handed.

They were difficult to fit to the Chrina. Require tyre levers to get on the rim.

This is why I'm asking. I could get a tyre and find it won't go on the rim.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 12 August, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »
I have Durano Plus 25s on Chrinas on the fixed.  Don't think they were especially difficult to get on, but I'll be reminded soon anyway, as they are getting worn out and need replacing.  I've had the new ones since I first felt a flat band on the tyre surface, but that was more than a thousand km ago ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #31 on: 12 August, 2011, 04:09:33 pm »
Ah, great, that's the info I needed.

I'll shop around for a cheap one (hah, bloody hah).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:14:06 am »
Fitted 25mm Durano Plus to the rear yesterday and rode home on it.

It's double the weight of the tyre it replaced, so I expected it to feel a bit sluggish when pulling away from lights. I didn't expect it to feel so squirmy - a bit like a tyre that's going flat. I put 105psi in it - maybe more would be better.

Unexpected side benefit of the foam insert is that it soaks up quite a bit of vibration.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
I run mine at 145 psi - like it says on the tyre wall.

« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:13:18 pm »
Funny you say that - my tyre sidewall says max pressure 115

<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »
Mine are 115 (700x25c).  I run between 110-115.  No problems here.
Getting there...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #36 on: 17 August, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »
I think of 145 psi to be the upper end of what you'd pump a 23 to.  In a 25, it'll certainly give a very firm ride for all but super-heavyweight riders, to put it mildly.

Personally I use up to just over 9 bar for 23s, and up to just over 8 bar for 25s, regardless of make/model.  (Bar units are easier to read on my track pump gauge).  I'm under 11 stone.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #37 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:35:38 am »
Biggsy, has anyone told you that you are a skinny git?  ;)

I upped the pressure to 110-115 (gauge not all that accurate).

Tyre doesn't feel squirmy anymore. Rolls considerably faster. Feels like I'm riding on wooden wheels, but I guess I can learn to put up with that if it means no punctures.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #38 on: 18 August, 2011, 09:52:30 am »
I once had a pair of Vredestein Tricross tyres. They were identical in every way but for one of them being marked 120psi max and the other 145.

I never inflate to more than about 115 anyway

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 15 July, 2012, 05:51:58 pm »
Well, it had to happen sooner or later - got a puncture in my rear Durano Plus this morning. Looking at the tyre, it's not that surprising - the tread is so thin that the blue puncture protection layer is showing through in places.

Still, nearly 6000km before getting my first puncture... can't really grumble about that.  ;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #40 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:32:26 pm »
I wonder if anyone can furnish me with the actual widths and heights of the inflated Durano Plus in 23/25/28/32mm nominal widths?

As we know, some manufacturers' actual dimensions differ substantially from the stated nominal ones - I have a good idea of Continental's for instance, but not for Schwalbe, and in particular not for the Durano Plus.  Playing with tyre sizes and frame/mudguard clearance always benefits from having such knowledge before purchasing.....

Oh, and if you could mention what rim it's on when measured, that would be ideal.

Many thanks!

« Reply #41 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:34:29 pm »
In my experience, all schwalbe are fairly close to their stated size.

continental are much skinnier, as are Panaracer.

Michelin are sometimes wider.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #42 on: 28 November, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »
I have measured my DPs in the past and iirc they were close enough to the stated 25C, give or take a fraction of a millimetre. That's on CXP22 rims.

Edit: Just under 26mm, in fact - http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8585.msg1262624#msg1262624

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Holy Thread Resurrection
« Reply #43 on: 28 November, 2012, 02:49:40 pm »
Just to keep things going I fitted Durano London Editions (700x23) this Autumn on my fixed, thus far the tyres have been reliable, faster rolling than the M+racers that I would normally run. I run them at 130-140PSI as at 95kg of sheer muscle I ain't a light thing :p . I have had flats whilst running these but that has been down to real crap valve seals, don`t think they like the higher pressures!

« Reply #44 on: 28 November, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »
I've just fitted my Pompetamine winter bike with Durano Pluses since they now come in 28mm (wire bead) too. A test ride of about a mile indicates they roll well and seem no less comfortable than the 35mm tyres the bike was wearing before.

I now have all 3 of my road bikes in Durano Plus. I probably shouldn't say this, but 1 visitation in 14,000 miles is testament to how great these tyres are  :D

« Reply #45 on: 30 November, 2012, 09:59:39 pm »
Thanks for the info on the 25mm Durano Plus, citoyen!

Also thanks mrcharly, but is anyone able to confirm how close the 23/28/32mm tyres are to their stated sizes?  How about your new 28s, Feline?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:34:34 am »
I have 25s on a Chrina rim and they are spot on 25mm
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #47 on: 14 December, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
Foghat, take the rim width into account.  A wider rim makes a tyre wider but shallower, and vice versa.  So it's no good getting a measurement from somone with different width rims (unless you know how to correct the difference mathematically).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #48 on: 14 December, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »
Thanks for the info on the 25mm Durano Plus, citoyen!

Also thanks mrcharly, but is anyone able to confirm how close the 23/28/32mm tyres are to their stated sizes?  How about your new 28s, Feline?  :thumbsup:

My 28mm ones measure 27mm in the wild (on DT Swiss wider rims) although I used a ruler to measure this bcz I don't have calipers.

« Reply #49 on: 14 December, 2012, 11:23:47 pm »
Thanks Biggsy - indeed, that's why my original post asked for people to state which rims they were measuring their tyres on.

Great stuff, Feline - thanks!

For contrast, Continental's excellent '32mm' Top Contact measures 27mm wide on an Open Pro.