Author Topic: ACP's Super Randonnee  (Read 7471 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: ACP's Super Randonnee
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:52 pm »
It's a bit of a myth that the Pyrenees are steeper than the Alps. I've climbed all the major cols in the Pyrenees and none of them averages over 8%, with the exception of shorter ones like Marie Blanque and Portet d'Aspet. On the other hand, in the Dolomites you will easily find long climbs (cols) that exceed 8%... the mighty Passo Giau and Mortirolo just to name a couple.

What the Pyrenees have less than the Alps is probably traffic. On a two hour ascent of the Tourmalet in June, you are likely to see a dozen cars at most. That is of course true until you tackle the climb to Andorra from Aix-Les-Thermes...  :o

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:25 pm »
I guess it doesn't really matter which range is steeper - we're not planning the routes! Probably easier to judge each event as they are.

[I'm also eyeing these things up. For the reasons LWAB gives, the Welsh one looks 'tougher' than the rides in high mountains on the continent. But I'm slightly drawn to it; I know some of the climbs, and the general area - so that helps with the logistics and with just having a "warm feeling" that comes with a bit more fore-knowledge. Plus it's (relatively!) on my doorstep, so I could slot it into any spare 4-5 days, and not spend a fortune.

But I have a load of other big rides planned for 2018, so the SR600 may well wait another year ... whilst some more Brits write some ride reports for me to study!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 05:37:38 pm »
What's the time limit for the Welsh SR Randonneur version? Is there going to be a Tourist version too?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:00 pm »
60 hours for all of the SR600s at randonneur standard.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »
60 hours for all of the SR600s at randonneur standard.

Nice!! Much more civilised than 75 for a 1K

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 07:41:20 pm »
http://www.ara-breisgau.de/superrandonnee/strecke/

Walter Jungwirths book 1000 Kilometer Süden about the Mille de Sud is one of the much better books about cycling, so I would expect his super randonee 'Belchen satt' to be a cracking ride.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2017, 09:37:12 pm »
Report here:

http://heimatnomadin.com/belchen-satt-2016

A couple of mentions of 18% gradients and some very dour weather in the report.  Chapeau to Leona!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 06:26:48 am »
So, assuming I can do 200 km in 12 hours, which I believe I can on that terrain... it's basically 3 days with the luxury of being able to check in a B&B at a non embarrassing time and even have breakfast!

It all sounds very civilised... the Welsh C6 appears to pass through Llanwurst at Km 400... perfect!

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »
HK and I have finally decided that next year will be 'der Tag' for us and the SR600 (how many years has it taken?).

I am a big bloke and not a natural climber, so to maximise enjoyment, it'll help if:
- the descents allow real time gains, rather than riding the brakes
- the climbs are long and steady, rather than short and steep
- conditions tend to be dry and not too hot sometime between June and September
- there are some stunning views

https://randonneuredintorni.wordpress.com/super-randonnee-delle-dolomiti/ was suggested on another thread.

The new Welsh SR600 is out. That many Welsh climbs in one hit doesn't appeal to us.

Amongst the high mountains, HK thinks that the Alps might be best for us, as the Dolomites tend to be wet and the Pyrenees steeper, while there is a lot of food/ accommodation at frequent intervals in the Alps.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would check the Austrian one then, roads are good so high speed descents are an option. Traffic relatively civilised and plenty of touristic accomodation.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Ivo. It would pick up another country for me too.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 07:42:06 pm »
Where would I find details of the Welsh SR600? None of those on the perm list seemed like an obvious match, but perhaps I’m being daft  ???

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 07:50:45 pm »
It is in the final stages of being set up.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:56 am »
So, assuming I can do 200 km in 12 hours, which I believe I can on that terrain... it's basically 3 days with the luxury of being able to check in a B&B at a non embarrassing time and even have breakfast!

It all sounds very civilised... the Welsh C6 appears to pass through Llanwurst at Km 400... perfect!

I think I would look to plan 240km, 200km, 160km to take the stress out of the last day.  Depending on daylight hours at the time/place of the ride, I would try to start 12 hours before sunset, so there woukd only be a small amount of night riding in day 1. OR start daily at 6 and forego the breakfast in the hotel in favour of all daylight riding and a civilised evening meal. It's only the same distance as the BCM with 33% extra climbing but a whole extra day to ride.
   Eddington  87 miles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 08:50:48 am »
Does it work like other perms, in that you can start at any control point en route? Looking at the Welsh one, Aberystwyth seems a good start point... 200 km to Llanberis (bunk beds at Pete's Ets) and another 200 to Brecon (plenty of accomodation, I would assume). Plus the benefit of finishing in a town and being able to have a decent meal + drinks  ;D.

Also, Aberystwyth has a station, should things go pear shaped, whereas Knighton doesn't

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 11:34:56 am »
Does it work like other perms, in that you can start at any control point en route? Looking at the Welsh one, Aberystwyth seems a good start point... 200 km to Llanberis (bunk beds at Pete's Ets) and another 200 to Brecon (plenty of accomodation, I would assume). Plus the benefit of finishing in a town and being able to have a decent meal + drinks  ;D.

Also, Aberystwyth has a station, should things go pear shaped, whereas Knighton doesn't

Good question as these will be sent off for validation by ACP

I have found the answer

"Those who have registered as Randonneurs must start from the official starting point. As Tourists, they can choose any other starting point on the cue sheet."

from page http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/422%20-%20Rules%20Super%20Randonn%C3%A9e.html

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 01:55:54 pm »

Is that Knighton on the Anglo-Welsh border? Sort of mid-Walesish? The one with a railway station on the Central Wales line?
That one has 4 trains a day each way to/from Shrewsbury or Swansea, with 2 on Sundays. Granted it's not the 6 or more trains per hour you get in that there London, but it's still 4 more than none!  ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional Circuit Commissaire

whosatthewheel

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:55 pm »

Good question as these will be sent off for validation by ACP

I have found the answer

"Those who have registered as Randonneurs must start from the official starting point. As Tourists, they can choose any other starting point on the cue sheet."

from page http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/422%20-%20Rules%20Super%20Randonn%C3%A9e.html

Ah, OK thanks

whosatthewheel

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 01:59:14 pm »

Is that Knighton on the Anglo-Welsh border? Sort of mid-Walesish? The one with a railway station on the Central Wales line?
That one has 4 trains a day each way to/from Shrewsbury or Swansea, with 2 on Sundays. Granted it's not the 6 or more trains per hour you get in that there London, but it's still 4 more than none!  ;)

Well spotted

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 05:35:22 pm »
Just bumping this thread in the light of 2 things:
- Will announcing his near Bristol Tintern-to-Snowdonia SR600
- me riding the Tourmalet and reigniting my passion to follow in Marcus' footsteps. Read about them here: MJB and the ACP Super Randonnee Pyrenees

I'm sure we won't be rigorously tidy about such things, but it makes sense (to me!) to have 1 master thread so that e.g. Will's thread doesn't get overwhelmed by me banging on about how great Spain is :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles