Author Topic: KT Tunstall Thetford Forest  (Read 1139 times)

Maladict

KT Tunstall Thetford Forest
« on: 07 June, 2008, 12:51:42 am »
Great gig - the rain failed to materialise too!  It was a fairly balanced mixture of stuff from the first and second albums, plus a couple of songs I'd not heard before.  The highlights included the self-backing using a beatbox on "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" among others.  The performance was powerful and gutsy.

The music was broken up with some good witty repartee as well; now I know something about bats which I didn't.  I also liked the bit about "Funnyman" being inspired by a friend who'd had psychological problems - which kind of put the song into a different context to where I'd placed it from casual listening and made it far more poignant.  In fact there were several songs where I became more aware of the meaning of the lyrics because I often listen to music whilst working for instance, and thus don't necessarily focus so much on the music itself.

The baked potatoes etc were being served in biodegradable containers which are, apparently, edible.  It was also announced that all the refuse from the concert would be recycled.  We saw one person who had cycled there.  Pretty much everyone else (like us) appeared to have got there by car.  It did occur to me that I might be able to cycle there, but as there were two of us, the car would've still gone anyway.

Thetford Forest does seem to be a nice venue and I'll be keeping an eye out for other stuff there.

Re: KT Tunstall Thetford Forest
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2008, 12:44:29 pm »
The forest gigs are great. I've seen Paul Weller and the Beautiful South in Dalby Forest the last couple of years. Unfortunately this years gig is Status Quo so I'll be giving that one a miss. You can can camp at the ones in Dalby forest so you could cycle their and cycle back the next day. I bet Thetford is the same as they are all run by the same Forestry Commission organisation.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2008, 01:57:26 pm »
Some of the best gigs we've been to are the summer outdoor ones - we have some fantastic venues in this country for this. My top magic moments:

1. Peter Gabriel at Blickling Hall - The almost never ending rendition of 'Biko', with massive audience participation in the closing stanzas - all in the pouring rain. Bloody brilliant  :thumbsup:.
2. Mark Knopfler at Beauleigh - despite him having a throat infection. Awesome.

Maladict

« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2008, 02:00:50 pm »
The review in one of the Norfolk rags complained about the poor weather.  Were they actually there, or do they think that "not sunny" = poor?  It had rained all day, there was a very light drizzle which stopped just before the show started, and we all stayed dry.  A couple of references were made during the gig to the weather having been kind to us.  I'd been studying weather forecasts all week in true Audax stylee and we were very lucky.

Heaven knows how they'd have described the weather on the first night of PBP.  :)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2008, 09:13:42 pm »
I saw Katie Tunstall back when she was still singing in Oi Va Voi (a sort of folk rock / New Klezmer band). She seems to try not to mention this these days. Mind you, she wasn't even the most talented person in Oi Va Voi  - which was definitely the violinist (whose name I have forgotten).