Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 75057 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #700 on: May 31, 2020, 09:55:32 am »
I splashed out on some Small Batch filter roast. It's where I'd go for a nice cup of filter from work, when I need a change from work espresso (I know, 1st world problems is over there). Anyway, still tasty.

« Reply #701 on: July 13, 2020, 10:23:06 am »
Today if I can find a kettle lead I will be trying out a Russell Hobbs / Wedgwood coffee percolator that looks exactly like this one:

I found this at the back of a cupboard when clearing my Mum and Dads house out. I haven't see a peculator bar a moka pot type one for decades so this bit of 70s retro might be fun.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #702 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:43 am »
It seem Russell Hobbs designed the worlds first electric coffee peculator the CP1 in 1952. Mines a CP3 but looks very much the same bar the floral design and 70s colours.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #703 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:12 am »
Good luck with that.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #704 on: July 13, 2020, 11:10:44 am »
I bought a kilo of Lavazza Classic 100% arabica from Waitrose last week.

It is shite.

« Reply #705 on: July 13, 2020, 11:20:39 am »
I bought a kilo of Lavazza Classic 100% arabica from Waitrose last week.

It is shite.

The golds not very good either. The only one I like is the Qualità Rossa but that's in a drip machine not an espresso machine.

« Reply #706 on: July 13, 2020, 11:32:28 am »
The CP3 is up and running. The indicator light doesn't seem to work but maybe that comes on when its brewed.
Its rattling and bubbling away.

« Reply #707 on: July 13, 2020, 11:57:23 am »
And it worked and the little light came on when it had finished. A bit bitter. Might try using boiling water next time.

« Reply #708 on: July 13, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »
No! doesn't work. It depends on pulsing up the water and turns off when the bottom temperature reaches 80 or some such. That's really as good as it gets. Put it together with something like "Lyons Coffee" if you want something authentic and possibly more drinkable

« Reply #709 on: July 13, 2020, 12:30:24 pm »
No! doesn't work. It depends on pulsing up the water and turns off when the bottom temperature reaches 80 or some such. That's really as good as it gets. Put it together with something like "Lyons Coffee" if you want something authentic and possibly more drinkable

Thanks for the warning on using boiling water. I think your right re trying a coffee that's less bitter to start with. To be honest its not going to get much use, more of a curiosity and I'm fond of the styling and the fact it was my Mums's. Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #710 on: July 13, 2020, 01:12:24 pm »
Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

Didn't think there was any.  No, wait! Sag bags. They were great. <google, google> Oh. They call them bean bags these days. "Sag bag" seems to be an impolite anatomical epithet.

« Reply #711 on: July 13, 2020, 01:33:26 pm »
Plus it annoys the hell out of Mrs Pcolbeck who really doesn't like 70s styling :)

Didn't think there was any.

Don't tell Bang & Olufson that:

1970s Beomaster 2400

« Reply #712 on: September 08, 2020, 06:01:53 am »
Nescafe Gold Blend. I ran out of proper coffee. I was sure there was a packet of emergency Lavazza Rosso at the back of the cupboard but nope there wasn't ...

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #713 on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:23 am »
Not a bad idea, that ^^^.  Packed in nitrogen, isn't it, so that it doesn't oxidize? Though I suspect they all are these days.

Last year the mayor & council gave us a basket of goodies for our 50th wedding anniversary.  It included a packet of pre-ground Grand-Mère coffee, which is what Cleo could have used for lack of an asp. We still have it: we might hand it down to our kids for use as a doorstop.