Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 131164 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #425 on: 06 July, 2015, 07:33:13 am »
Kibingo red bourbon. Makes the inner glutton plead for croissants to go with.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #426 on: 06 July, 2015, 08:25:30 am »
Poblado Coffi Espresso Blend - pre-ground for the Aeropress at work, but I have two bags of beans for the Gaggia at home. Pretty good. They've started supplying a few local restaurants and they can't get enough of it apparently.

Must order some of that!  What's the roast like?  Med/dark I guess?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #427 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:57:36 pm »
More like Lavazza/Illy than the glossy black chocolate look. I went through most of a pack of one of their other roasts (can't remember which one now) in a moka pot and that was very nice as well.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #428 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:08:20 pm »
Starbucks Kenyan.

It grinds up so beautifully, and is fragrant and deep and layered and delicious.

I don't know what they do to it in their cafes, where it is invariably an abomination suitable only for latte with syrup in it, but fresh ground for my filter it's absolutely lovely.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #429 on: 08 July, 2015, 07:08:48 am »
Inadvertent Yrgacheffe/red bourbon mix occasioned by not grinding out what was still in the burrs before topping up with Yrga.  Plummy.

« Reply #430 on: 11 July, 2015, 10:38:21 am »
Poblado Coffi Espresso Blend - pre-ground for the Aeropress at work, but I have two bags of beans for the Gaggia at home. Pretty good. They've started supplying a few local restaurants and they can't get enough of it apparently.

Good tip Rhys!  I dialled it in today and have had a couple of fantastic espressos from it.  Settled on 15.8g in, 30g out in 27s.  Lovely intense chocolate and caramel flavour, lots of body in the shot and a very subtle orange/plum citrus hint.  Very good indeed.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #431 on: 11 July, 2015, 10:58:58 am »
Nuffink. I've run out.  Did my last 15g of Yrga yesterday, reached for another bag this fair morn only to find it was Mexican decaff I'd roasted for the missus about six months ago.

Roasted my last 150g of Bob-o-link, 300g of Yrga, 300g of Kibingo this morning.  Mightily tempted to put some through the Porlex after lunch, if it gunges it up we've got plenty of rice.

Later: Kibingo was light but very good (plummy) in the Brikka, Yrgacheffe was bitter with a bit of body, not very pleasant.  Grinder's fine.

« Reply #432 on: 16 July, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »
After finishing a nice bag of Ethiopian I have started on the enormous bag of Lavazza Espresso beans I got at Lidl. Blimey there's a fair amount of caffeine in this one ! I drank the whole jug this morning and I think I might be quite productive today.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #433 on: 20 July, 2015, 07:44:38 am »
Sounds like you got a good dose of robusta, it has about a third more caffeine than arabica.  A couple of years back I got a taste for Javanese robusta and could hardly get to sleep after lunch.

This morning I had a double shot of mostly Bobolink with a remnant of Yrgacheffe that was in the grinder.  Thick and velvety, wonderful rounded flavour. Had to force myself to just sip it. Nobbut the smell left now.

« Reply #434 on: 24 July, 2015, 03:36:02 pm »
I have been staying at my Mum and Dads to help out for several days. They drink Nescafe instant, not even Gold Blend. Thank God my wife told me to bring the Aeropress and I grabbed a bag of Sainsbury Kenyan on the way over other wise I would be drowning in tea by now. Irish Catholic family, when the going gets rough the frequency of tea making rises exponentially, I'm convinced every relative that walks through the door immedialy says "I'll make everyone a cup of tea then" and makes another at least once very ten minutes. I love tea but after the thirtieh cup of the day you do get sated.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #435 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:11:46 pm »
Great for the kidneys, though.

At my sister's place in Co. Down the water comes from the Mournes and every cuppa contains enough chlorine to clear a WW1 trench.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #436 on: 04 August, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
Just ordered some beans from Pact - a bag of El Aguila from El Salvador - because they had a promotional offer to get your first bag for a quid. Got to be worth a try...

If anyone else fancies it, use this code and you will also get your first bag for a quid:
http://pactcoffee.com/spread/DAVID-3Z5NVG@cp
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #437 on: 13 August, 2015, 06:31:35 pm »
Our new Jura Z6- may have tried a few too many new coffees and am now as high as a kite!

Grabbed a bag of these beans to go in it and they are quite good but I will be going back to the coffee bean shop for some of my favourites of theirs!

http://www.ucc-coffee.co.uk/products/coffee/orang-utan.html

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #438 on: 29 August, 2015, 08:07:46 am »
Did my last couple of roasts out in the garden and was fooled by the colour of the light. With bluer outdoor light the beans looked a lot darker than under tungsten. Result: underdone roast, too bitter.  Have been drinking it anyway and it has improved with time.  Burundi Red Bourbon. Will roast some more today and see what I can manage.

menthel

« Reply #439 on: 29 August, 2015, 10:14:17 am »
The new machine is working out very nicely but we are getting through beans at a rate of knots. Can anyone suggest some good value 1kg bags of beans ideally for less than £20 inc postage?

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #440 on: 29 August, 2015, 11:07:41 am »
GN: My Aeropress isn't dead, despite me leaving it out in the sun a couple of weeks ago. I don't think the rubber plunger is in the best shape, and it didn't feel great putting it together, but I just made a brew without it leaking all over the place.

BN: These beans are within the use-by date on the bag but tasting decidedly second-rate. They've been sat on the counter for probably a month or two now, but I can't quite bring myself to bin half a bag. Still better than instant, of course.

menthel

« Reply #441 on: 29 August, 2015, 11:26:38 am »
GN: My Aeropress isn't dead, despite me leaving it out in the sun a couple of weeks ago. I don't think the rubber plunger is in the best shape, and it didn't feel great putting it together, but I just made a brew without it leaking all over the place.

BN: These beans are within the use-by date on the bag but tasting decidedly second-rate. They've been sat on the counter for probably a month or two now, but I can't quite bring myself to bin half a bag. Still better than instant, of course.

You can get aeropress spares including the bungs online. In fact you can buy all the constituent bits online!

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #442 on: 29 August, 2015, 11:29:43 am »
Good to know, thanks - I think I got away with it this time but who knows how long it'll last. A fiver for a new bung is far preferable to shelling out thirty quid for a whole new thing!

menthel

« Reply #443 on: 29 August, 2015, 11:39:58 am »
Hasbean and aerobie have them for sure. Probably on Amazon too.

« Reply #444 on: 30 August, 2015, 07:55:15 am »
The new machine is working out very nicely but we are getting through beans at a rate of knots. Can anyone suggest some good value 1kg bags of beans ideally for less than £20 inc postage?

Rave signature blend is very good value and up there with the best - buy 2kg and you get free postage.

« Reply #445 on: 30 August, 2015, 08:50:44 am »
I've really gone off Rave coffee (and it pains me to say it.) They have lightened up their roasting style, and pretty much every bag I've bought over the last year has ended up unfinished. I'm almost exclusively drinking Coffee Compass (and the Jampit and Jagong are the best)

menthel

« Reply #446 on: 30 August, 2015, 10:30:08 am »
Thanks, I think I will try Rave next, they look good value.

« Reply #447 on: 30 August, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »
I've really gone off Rave coffee (and it pains me to say it.) They have lightened up their roasting style, and pretty much every bag I've bought over the last year has ended up unfinished. I'm almost exclusively drinking Coffee Compass (and the Jampit and Jagong are the best)

I agree although the Sig doesn't seem to have changed that much.  In fairness, the Londinium makes the lighter blends a lot more palatable in any case.  I've found the Burundi Buziraguhindwa, a medium roast, absolutely excellent as an espresso or in a latte.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #448 on: 07 September, 2015, 07:45:13 am »
I've found the Burundi Buziraguhindwa, a medium roast, absolutely excellent as an espresso or in a latte.

I'm very fond of Burundi coffees. As far as I can make out they're all Red Bourbon and, given the price of pesticides, grown without.  They have great fruitiness and seem to respond pretty well to a roast that's pushed to the verge of second crack.

The 300g I roasted on 29th August has melted away, mostly in the Brika, where it was good from 24 hours on.  I've just drunk the last few grammes as an espresso, rounded out with Yrgacheffe that I roasted on Friday.  Marvellous.

I have about 1.5 kg of unroasted Kibingo left but I'm now out of green Yrgacheffe. Heigh ho.

« Reply #449 on: 07 September, 2015, 10:48:49 am »
I thought I'd ask here for advice - I like coffee, but I don't drink huge amounts of it. I've an aeropress, moka pot, and drip filters at home, but only make coffee a couple of times a week at home - mainly the aeropress as it's least fuss. Is there anywhere that sells beans in small enough amounts to make it worthwhile buying the good stuff and not ending up with lots of stale beans? I generally prefer chocolatey and rich coffee to the lighter acidic styles; what blends would be good to start my explorations with?