Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 234528 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #500 on: 10 October, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »
I am Glad you did not buy UFO at the gig as otherwise I should have been forced to kill you utterly to DETH
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #501 on: 10 October, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »
Ha, but I did hear three tracks live, so there...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #502 on: 11 October, 2014, 10:11:06 am »
Wednesday, the relocated should-have-been-in-Fibbers James Yorkston gig.  I've never liked Fibbers all that much but I really like Yorkston and seeing as he chose a no_Cubs Wednesday it'd have been rude not to.  Then I'd had an email telling me it was going to be in the New Fibbers, and then another with the even better news that it had moved to the Fulford Arms.  Although I hadn't been there before I'd heard good things, and the good things were true.  Plus they have decent beer, and sensible-for-York prices - although with it being a school night I stuck to the lime and soda.  Turned up proper early at doors, as it is a much smaller venue and we thought it might get busy so won a tall table with bar stools, convenient for the bar and with a good view even for shortarses.

First support - some chap in a hat with a shonky fake accent.  Deano commented (most discreetly, since it was clear that half the people in venue knew him) that the hat was the most interesting thing on stage.  I pointed out that was unfair, since the double bass resting in a corner clearly had real charisma.  He started promptly at 8 and I checked my phone at one point to discover that he'd actually only been going for 17 minutes.  It felt rather more.  I really don't like people talking through gigs, but this time was almost wishing they'd talk up a little as the conversations seemed like they might be more interesting.

Second support - Boss Caine, the second time I've actually caught a full supporting set from York's hardest working gigging musician.  No hat, but another fake accent although he does it much better and what's more some of his songs are actually pretty bloody good.  I shouldn't like him at all as there are a number of my instant turn offs (like the accent) in the mix, but somehow I kind of do.  Plus he got the sympathy vote for having discharged himself from hospital and borrowed a guitar from a friendly music shop owner he bumped into en route from hossie to venue in order to get to the gig.  First support chap and his noisy friends talked throughout and therefore lost him his one remaining 'at least he tried and his voice (if not his guitar) was in tune' point.

Hoping for Yorkston next, but no...

Third support - another chap with a guitar.  Ok, wish me luck... but we have to stay put, we've guarded out seats for the best part of 2 hours and if we go then we'll lose 'em and probably have to stand for Yorkston.  We're committed now... however, this chap-with-a-guitar turns out to be Adam Ross of Randolph's Leap.  What's this?  A Proper Accent?  And what's more, that's the accent he sings in?  Sneakily getting everyone to actually shut up and stop talking with comic passive aggression and a touch of manipulation?  A "sympathy story" that he apologised couldn't possibly compare with Boss Caine's but meant that he was nervous about barre chords due to a TOASTED MARSHMALLOW injury?  Spinach-induced-farting-Yorkston-on tour jokes?  I liked him.  And his songs.

Then Yorkston, and a double-bass player whose name I didn't catch apart from John.  A long set with, as he promised, no encore.  Some of the old stuff including a stonking version of Sweet Jesus, some of the new stuff which went down well with me.  A rambling spoken to music anecdote lasting a good 15 minutes about a visit to the Antiques Roadshow that trod judiciously the fine line between humour and taking the piss out of how much a Terribly Polite York audience will go along with you.  Self-described 'most miserable banter at a gig, ever!' including stories of dead dogs and poisoned rats.  And a cover of A Little Respect, which is apparently one of his standards.  The reworking raised a plenty of laughs, as is I am sure the intention.  And then I remembered the last time I heard it covered, by the incomparable Whyte Fyre, a band mostly comprised of teachers-wot-I-know, in the Edinburgh Arms (in the company of forumites as a post-Kate Rusby-after-gig) with vocals by the chap who taught the EldestCub in reception (apart from the high notes, which were provided by the bassist) and realised I'll not see their guitarist, Pete, laughing his head off at Andy's singing that one again since Pete very sadly died in March, and I had a bit of a quiet moment.  So there you go - James Yorkston, moving the audience almost to tears with Erasure covers.

I really wanted to go see him again, if only to find out how different the improvisations might be, but the Nottingham/Sheffield gigs were totally un-doable travelwise.  Heartily recommended.

ETA
Googlage tells me the bassist was Jon Thorne.  Who I've reviewed before!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #503 on: 12 October, 2014, 12:21:57 am »
Royal Festival Hall - Underworld Dubnobasswithmyheadman 20th anniversary concert.

Bunch of 40 and 50 year olds, giving it everything and pretending we were all 21 again.

Danny Boyle (he who made Underworld a million selling act) was in the row behind us dancing and singing along like a loon.

Fantastic night - nothing beyond the mid 90s in the set. Still an incredible live act. Karl is still sensational up front (and he is 57!).

Lost power to their racks at one point, they dealt with it just fine.

Amazing and certainly took me back to my very misspent youth.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #504 on: 12 October, 2014, 11:40:23 pm »
Rory McLeod at the Rose & Crown in ve 'stow.  He was this: excellent.  Unfortunately the venue doubles as a folk club, thus ensuring a ready supply of "support" acts who were not excellent.  Mostly I was reminded of what Tom Lehrer had to say on the subject.  And we each paid a tenner >:(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #505 on: 13 October, 2014, 01:39:25 pm »
Last night my sister took me to see Mnozil Brass at The Rose, Kingston.  Hard to describe, as funny as a funny thing, wrapped up in funny string.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #506 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:23:39 pm »
Johnny Marr at Cardiff University last night. Fantastic. Such a cool guy - sharp threads, good haircut, great attitude. Plenty of Smiths songs for us nostalgic 40-something blokes, and also a cover of a cover (I Fought The Law). Oh, and amazing guitar playing!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #507 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »
Royal Festival Hall - Underworld Dubnobasswithmyheadman 20th anniversary concert.

Bunch of 40 and 50 year olds, giving it everything and pretending we were all 21 again.

Danny Boyle (he who made Underworld a million selling act) was in the row behind us dancing and singing along like a loon.

Fantastic night - nothing beyond the mid 90s in the set. Still an incredible live act. Karl is still sensational up front (and he is 57!).

Lost power to their racks at one point, they dealt with it just fine.

Amazing and certainly took me back to my very misspent youth.
Missed out on that one. But I've got a ticket for Hammersmith in March :)

« Reply #508 on: 25 October, 2014, 06:52:17 pm »
Otway and Willy Willy Barrett at the Basement in York on Tuesday.

It was excellent, again, though Otway was a fair bit more restrained than even recent shows. And we were blessed to be in the presence of the World's Happiest Man, just to our right, who laughed at everything and was having Officially the Best Time Ever ;D

« Reply #509 on: 25 October, 2014, 07:16:37 pm »
For the last time in 2014 I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the O2 Academy in Leicester. It was a better atmosphere than the Bilston gig a few posts above, but still not really rocking. They did three songs from Urge for Offal, their new album, and lots of the old favourites. The lilac Harry Quinn got an outing, so it was a good job they played A Lilac Harry Quinn! The stewarding was very officious. I'm 53 and got told off for my exuberance!

Manchester is too far and so is Edinburgh, so I'll have to hope they play a little nearer in any upcoming gigs.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #510 on: 25 October, 2014, 11:58:16 pm »
Otway and Willy Willy Barrett at the Basement in York on Tuesday.

It was excellent, again, though Otway was a fair bit more restrained than even recent shows. And we were blessed to be in the presence of the World's Happiest Man, just to our right, who laughed at everything and was having Officially the Best Time Ever ;D

That brings back ancient memories,  I must have been 19 the last time I saw those 2 play in Liverpool!      I had a musical evening as well.  The RLPO playing in Liverpool Cathedral.   Elgar, Vaughan-Williams and the finale was Also sprach Zarathustra  :D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #511 on: 26 October, 2014, 06:23:48 pm »
After the somewhat earthier HMHB last week, I went upmarket and took my two girls to see the CBSO at the splendid Symphony Hall in Brum this afternoon. I should temper that by adding that it was a Cartoon Classics show, but very good, nonetheless. I'd never seen In The Hall of the Mountain King performed live before, so that was a bonus. We had great seats, perched right over the orchestra. It's a great way to introduce youngsters to the delights of live classical music.

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #512 on: 26 October, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »
Just for a change I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin2 in Bilston. Urge for Offal, their new album was on sale. Irritatingly I've pre-ordered it, so will have to wait. Despite other people's good reviews, I thought it was rather subdued, but then I do enjoy a good mosh and it never really got going. Saw lots of familiar faces and met some new people too. Roll on Leicester in a fortnight.

Saw Half man Half Biscuit at Manchester Uni in 1988 .. brilliant

« Reply #513 on: 26 October, 2014, 08:20:34 pm »
Just for a change I saw Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin2 in Bilston.
Saw Half Man Half Biscuit at Manchester Uni in 1988 .. brilliant
They're back at The Ritz in Manchester next month. G'wan, g'wan, g'wan...

fuzzy

« Reply #514 on: 31 October, 2014, 09:15:06 am »
Joan Armatrading last night atWycombe Swan.

Supported by a young singer/ songwriter Alice Walker. A very nice voice and interesting songwriting including a song 'inspired' by her day job as a nurse- 'I think I could kill a man' (she hasn't- she promises us!).

Joan had some tech issues early on but these were overcome. She played her stalwart tracks of course- Love and Affection, All the way from America- Willow- Me, Myself, I- The weakness in me, plus many that were either new to me or reminders of previously really enjoyed but forgotten tracks (Rosie). Some of her singing had me welling up a bit (Love and Affection- Weakness in me- Willow) as I think her songwriting is beautiful and her voice is like a mellow red wine.

A good night out.

fuzzy

« Reply #515 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:42:07 am »
Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook on their The At Odds Couple tour last night at The Hexagon, Reading.

I loved Squeeze back in the day and they played all the staples (Tempted, Pulling Mussels, Black Coffee in Bed, Labeled with Love etc).

Their playing is still crisp and enjoyable and the voices remain as good as ever.

A good night out.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #516 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:18:34 am »
Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook on their The At Odds Couple tour last night at The Hexagon, Reading.

I loved Squeeze back in the day and they played all the staples (Tempted, Pulling Mussels, Black Coffee in Bed, Labeled with Love etc).

Their playing is still crisp and enjoyable and the voices remain as good as ever.

A good night out.

I went to see Squeeze play at Leeds T&C (as it was then), back int he '90's.

A throughly enjoyable night out, it was.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #517 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:48:12 am »
Had a mini night out yesterday. Saw in my Twitter feed that Young Husband were playing a short and stripped-down set at a local cafe in 45 minutes time. 10 minute walk, Arrived at 8:30, took in their set (good), was back home by 9:40.

fuzzy

« Reply #518 on: 10 November, 2014, 08:45:55 am »
Last night, at the Hammersmith Apollo, whilst Dancing With Myself, I heard a Rebel Yell that it was a Nice Day For A White Wedding :thumbsup:

My ears are still ringing :D

ETA: 80's legend Rusty Egan was in the audience, 2 rows down from me.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #519 on: 18 November, 2014, 11:33:58 am »
Rory McLeod at the Rose & Crown in ve 'stow.  He was this: excellent.  Unfortunately the venue doubles as a folk club, thus ensuring a ready supply of "support" acts who were not excellent.  Mostly I was reminded of what Tom Lehrer had to say on the subject.  And we each paid a tenner >:(

Miss von Brandenburg writes:

Quote from: Miss von Brandenburg

cat expresses how we felt at the floor show at the Rory McLeod gig

« Reply #520 on: 19 November, 2014, 08:48:58 am »
Robert Plant in glasgow at the weekend was very good. His latest album "lullaby and the ceaseless roar" isnt my favourite by a way, but the tracks were very good at the concert: in fact fewer than I thought were from that album. Im a big fan of guitarist Justin Adams who was on terrific form.

Last night, Trampled by Turtles in glasgow art school. Fantastic. Small venue, so you felt up close to the band.  Couple of the set were standouts for violin (fiddle ?) then mandolin solos trying to out-do each other. Last bit of their encore, they came into the crowd with the support and stood playing in a circle in the middle of us.  Easily the best gig I've been to in ages.

« Reply #521 on: 22 November, 2014, 10:42:58 pm »
Just back from listening to Kyung Wha Chung & Kevin Kenner at St Georges Hall concert room in Liverpool.  Mozart, Prokofiev,Bach & Franck.
A stupendous performance which got a standing ovation. 

Here's the same duo playing some Dvorak & Schubert.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WzmHsN3QTM4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WzmHsN3QTM4&rel=1</a>
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #522 on: 24 November, 2014, 12:34:39 am »
Just back from John Mayall in Dartford.  He's only six months younger than Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) FFS :thumbsup:  Ably supported by King King who are three moonlighting geography teachers and a heavily bekilted Scotsman on guitar and vocals.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #523 on: 24 November, 2014, 08:49:03 am »
John Mayall is immortal.  I shall be very sad if I am ever proved wrong about this.
Getting there...

essexian

« Reply #524 on: 24 November, 2014, 09:42:58 am »
Carter USM- The final comedown.

Over the last 25 years or so, I, and at times my long suffering considerably better half, have stomped around the country to watch what I consider to be one of the best bands this country has ever produced: Birmingham Hummingbird, Wolverhampton Civic, Northampton Roadrunner, King Tuts Glasgow, Dudley JB, The 100 club, London Astoria and of course, Brixton Academy have all been visited at one time or other (although my considerably better half often seemed to find something else to do instead of travelling for hours to see a band play for 90 mins...strange that.  :facepalm: )

With that in mind, it was hardly surprising that I was one of the 5 000 odd (take that whatever way you wish!) people who attended what was billed as Carters final ever gig…according to Jim Bob he is going to concentrate on writing fiction from now on; while Fruitbat is going to become a serial killer….. from a lead guitarist to an axe manic…. Good fit that!

After a rabble rousing support set from the most wonderful Sultans of Ping (Give him the ball and a yard of grass; Stupid Kid; Veronica; U talk too much) it was time for the main event….

Now sadly John “Fat” Beast, the bands original lighting man and member of the Crazy Carter Crew died early this year, so we were not treated to the sight of a naked 25 stone bloke introducing the band as normal….so instead, as a rather moving tribute, the band were introduced by 15 or so semi naked members of the CCC with Johns name written on their chest. Nice and fitting I thought.

What to say about Carter USM live…. I suppose you have to be there but the band like to play and the crowd like to mosh….. I have been in the moshpit once… and that almost killed me! Saturday night was no different; I left the venue knackered as normal!

I don’t suppose it is worth going over the set list but they played most of their biggest songs BUT missed out one or two I would liked to have heard… perhaps they should come back and do another final, final gig?

Anyway, this review isn’t going anywhere and I realise I lack the writing skills to do the band the justice they deserve, so I’ll simply say thanks to Jim and Les for some of the greatest gigs I have ever been too; while even after all this time, their music still holds up as worth listening to I feel.

Carter USM 1987 to 2014 RIP.