Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 234469 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #675 on: 11 December, 2015, 08:59:22 pm »
Happy Mondays at the O2 Academy in Oxford.  They played the whole of "Pills 'N' Thrills 'N' Bellyaches" in order, as this was its 25th anniversary tour.  Then Hallelujah and W.F.L. for an encore.  Bez was brilliant.  Shaun Ryder still doesn't sing in tune but makes a very genial frontman compared to the old days when he sat down for entire gigs and just couldn't be arsed.  Not really sure how he's still alive as he must have taken more drugs than anyone else on the planet.  Rowetta really can sing.  The mix was a bit poor, with drums, bass and vocals about all I could hear (through earplugs, admittedly).   They are basically a funk band with somewhat idiosyncratic vocals, so the bass-heavy mix might have been A Thing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #676 on: 11 December, 2015, 09:25:06 pm »
Shaun Ryder more drugs than Keef?  Do leave off...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #677 on: 13 December, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »
Thursday: Jeffrey Lewis and Los Bolts at Wharf Chambers

I've seen Jeffrey Lewis loads of times, and I've never seen him play a bad show, so rather than boring everyone with the details of set lists and the proportion of new songs:old songs, I'll concentrate on the important things, such as the atmosphere of the venue, the quality of the support, and the grumpiness of the sound tech.

The Wharf Chambers makes a decent venue. I liked its air of general leftiness and lack of advertising, in a bit of Leeds which is mostly bistros and bars nowadays. In fact, I liked it so much I bought the company joined as a member (it's a co-op, and only members and guests can get in, so I didn't really have a choice). It's the sort of place where people meet and plot revolutions, or at least imagine that they do. Decent beer, too, pretty cheap, and only ten minutes from the station.

The first support was the house band, whose name I've forgotten. The tickets advertised someone called Mush, but I'm sure they said something else. Probably just as well that they remain anonymous - it seemed to be pitched somewhere between performance poetry and utter shite. Imagine a middle-aged Rik from the Young Ones backed by a bad Fall covers band. Mind you, it may have been a slow builder of a set, as they were making a right racket by the end, when we were having a smoko out in the beer garden.

Second up - probably Downdime. Again, we only lasted a couple of songs. If you put a woman centre stage with a microphone and don't let her sing, then it's bound to lead to disappointment, and that was the least of their crimes. I survived Britpop, and the scars really never healed, I'm not going through that again. Some decent gurning from the bassist, and that was the highlight of their set.

The performance area is a converted storeroom at the back of the venue, but I was pleased that it was fairly easy to get some sort of view of the headliners. Top gurning from the new drummer with cool hair (it started out as a quiff but was a fringe by the end of the show), but not a lot from Los Bolts, thought it was advertised as a double-header with her and Jeff Lewis. We thought the sound tech had forgotten to switch on her mic. She was good when she eventually made herself heard.

It was a decent mix of quiet songs and loud numbers, with a rap-tastic spoken word encore including a bonkers version of Heroin for the modern age. That was probably even better than his Sonnet Youth project where he made a sonnet of every Sonic Youth song (though thankfully he only performed one per show). He's a ferociously independent performer, I can't wait till he's back. Hopefully with better t-shirts, as you'd expect from a comic book artist. Pick it up, Jeff!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #678 on: 13 December, 2015, 03:59:02 pm »
Only seen Jeffrey Lewis once chiz, at which gig his pictorial history of the Russian Revolution inna-Subterranean-Homesick-Blues-video-stylee made the entire clientele of The Windmill off Brixton Hill piss themselves laughing.

« Reply #679 on: 13 December, 2015, 04:00:35 pm »
We had the Fall of the Soviet Union, funnily enough.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #680 on: 13 December, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »

« Reply #681 on: 13 December, 2015, 07:42:14 pm »
Leftfield at the Warehouse Project. They played from 1.30am until about 3.15am. I'm tired today.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #682 on: 13 December, 2015, 10:19:29 pm »
Clare Teal and Jason Rebello at JW3. A comfortable, chatty, friendly gig and a few bits were sublime.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

fuzzy

« Reply #683 on: 17 December, 2015, 08:43:56 am »
Last night I was at the Hammersmith Apollo (again) where the support act was Andreya Triana. A very nice voice and I particularly liked her track 'A Town Called Obsolete'.

She was followed by the star billing- Caro Emerald. Wow but this girl can sing! She started her set completely fooling most folk in the stalls (including me) by commencing her singing from the front of the circle whilst the band did their thing on stage. A fantastic night which had the whole audience on their feet, clapping along and boogying at the end.

« Reply #684 on: 18 December, 2015, 02:05:37 am »
Limehouse Lizzy again tonight at one of the smallest venues they play - The Grapes at Bury St Edmunds - a small-town pub.  :thumbsup:

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #685 on: 24 December, 2015, 08:34:03 pm »
Limehouse Lizzy again tonight at one of the smallest venues they play - The Grapes at Bury St Edmunds - a small-town pub.  :thumbsup:

Might have them come and play at the Limehouse Town Hall soon :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #686 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »

:thumbsup:

Sign upto their newsletter - they sometimes decide they can fit an extra gig in and put out a 'Anybody got a venue in the XXXX area we can play next week' appeal.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #687 on: 26 December, 2015, 01:48:08 am »

:thumbsup:

Sign upto their newsletter - they sometimes decide they can fit an extra gig in and put out a 'Anybody got a venue in the XXXX area we can play next week' appeal.

They've been trying to play here again for years since the last time. Sadly never works out.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #688 on: 01 February, 2016, 12:55:04 pm »
They Might be Giants. Fun, loud, high energy and pretty funny interactions with audience. Thye have a big back catalogue and were on stage over 2 hrs. We had to leave in 2nd encore, it was a school night. Recommended  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #689 on: 01 February, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »
They Might be Giants. Fun, loud, high energy and pretty funny interactions with audience. Thye have a big back catalogue and were on stage over 2 hrs. We had to leave in 2nd encore, it was a school night. Recommended  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: I saw them in 1990, just after "Flood" came out.  One of the best gigs I have ever been to!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #690 on: 01 February, 2016, 09:02:38 pm »
James Yorkston/the Withered Hand/Pictish Trail a week or so back.  Well worth travelling to Edinburgh and the cheap Premier Inn room in Haymarket :D

« Reply #691 on: 02 February, 2016, 08:51:44 am »

:thumbsup: I saw them in 1990, just after "Flood" came out.  One of the best gigs I have ever been to!

Bizarrely they were playing as part of Celtic Connections.
Also went to see Patty Griffin as part of CC too, I really enjoyed but she wasn't as good as I'd hoped. I didn't think her voice was on top form, and less Americana stuff in her set list.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #692 on: 03 February, 2016, 08:36:40 pm »
Woo, we haz Explosions In The Sky ticquets for that Manchester :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #693 on: 06 February, 2016, 03:22:33 am »
Sunday night, Hozier at the Brixton Academy. Not sure what I make of him (there were bits of the show that, in a kind of funk-rock-folk way, reminded me a bit of Jethro Tull, and it was definitely less bluesy than when we saw him at the Garage in April or May), but my wife loves him. (Audience highlight was probably the woman 3 yards away from us who declared that she really loved the song he'd just said was 'about kissing someone else' - her boyfriend took umbrage, and after a full-on but muted domestic, they left.)

Monday night, the Transatlantic Sessions at the Festival Hall. Fab. Just stunning. We'd got tickets (got lucky with returns) after seeing Rhiannon Giddens on Jools Holland at New Year - she was in many ways the highlight, especially a storming performance of Black is the Colour that left jaws collectively dropped - but everyone else was great as well. It was a real joy to see musicians so self-evidently enjoying themselves; vocals from Karen Matheson and Cara Dillon, a cover of Wish You Were Here from the Milk Carton Kids, Aly Bain fiddling away ... and an undercurrent of black humour suggesting that the chief musical connections to be explored were themes of misery and death.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #694 on: 07 February, 2016, 11:18:20 pm »
A good gig at that Waiting Room in Eaglescliffe tonight, where I started my evening with a bowl of beetroot and butterbean soup, fresh artisan bread, real butter, £4.65.  Marvellous.

The support act was a beardy hipster type with an acoustic guitar and those jeans you can't pull up properly, and that show the crack of your arse.  Oh, please.  Wear proper trousers.  His name was Luke or something.

*googles* Trev Gibb.

Anyway, he was all right actually, he managed to get the words 'anthropogenic' 'lacrimal' and 'quotidian' into his lyrics, which got some points, and he was very listenable.  But when he stopped in the middle of a song to get the waitress to take an order more quietly, I wanted to punch him, the great ponce.  You wouldn't see Bowie put off by a wee bit of whispering, you badly-jeaned twat.  Have a bit of class.  And pull your bloody trousers up.  But I'll forgive him because of playing a number on the out-of-tune piano in the corner.  Actually, he wasn't bad.

So, the main act, The Shooting Of.

Very, very interesting sound.  I ran out of 80s artists to label his influences:  Bowie was a big factor in his lyrical references.  And he sounded like Madness, and Howard Jones, and Depeche Mode, and Fad Gadget, and Kraftwerk, and that guy who used to play the one man band at the Cleveland Centre in 1986.  The one with the jack russell terrier.  And he played the stylophone and the kazoo and the harmonica.  Make of that what you will:  as I said, very interesting.  Intelligent lefty lyrics about ghosts and austerity and the end of the world.  Hmmm.

He's playing in Darlo next week.  I'll probably go actually.  I might even buy the album. 

Except I promised not to buy any more music.  Bugger.

He covered two Bowie songs and a Kraftwerk song, and he didn't murder Bowie and only murdered Kraftwerk a little bit.  More rehearsal of that one wouldn't have hurt.

Milk please, no sugar.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #695 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:48:46 am »
Ooooh me feet!  Just in from a bangin' evening of blues-rock courtesy of Stevie Nimmo & Ben Poole.  Stevie is the older brother of King King frontman Alan and hav a very interesting Stratocaster (right-handed body, left-handed neck, non-standard bridge pickup).  Ben Poole is a small skinny square-faced youngster who can play guitar more than just a bit.  Stevie was up first, then Ben, with the same bassist (Douglas Adams' little bother, from the look of him) and drummer, plus a different Stevie on keyboards.  And all five for a cracking rendition of 'Goin' Down' as an encore.  They're playing the Forum Music Centre in Darlington tomorrow tonight if any of the Darlo Massive is at a loose end...

ETA: afterwards some clot asked me if I was Tom Araya, bassist/shouter with USAnian thrash metal bozos Slayer :o

« Reply #696 on: 12 February, 2016, 12:24:32 pm »

Theyre playing in glasgow also. Barrowlands, I don't think its sold out. I got a ticket just the other day.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #697 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:25:57 pm »

Theyre playing in glasgow also. Barrowlands, I don't think its sold out. I got a ticket just the other day.

Yes, closer to home but midweek, and far enough away to be a ballache midweek.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #698 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:36:54 pm »
Ooooh me feet!  Just in from a bangin' evening of blues-rock courtesy of Stevie Nimmo & Ben Poole.  Stevie is the older brother of King King frontman Alan and hav a very interesting Stratocaster (right-handed body, left-handed neck, non-standard bridge pickup).  Ben Poole is a small skinny square-faced youngster who can play guitar more than just a bit.  Stevie was up first, then Ben, with the same bassist (Douglas Adams' little bother, from the look of him) and drummer, plus a different Stevie on keyboards.  And all five for a cracking rendition of 'Goin' Down' as an encore.  They're playing the Forum Music Centre in Darlington tomorrow tonight if any of the Darlo Massive is at a loose end...

Bugger, we could've made that.

ETA: afterwards some clot asked me if I was Tom Araya, bassist/shouter with USAnian thrash metal bozos Slayer :o

And what was your answer?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #699 on: 12 February, 2016, 10:55:24 pm »

Bugger, we could've made that.

They're in Bingley tomorrow and then taking a few weeks off; the flyer is at home though, and I'm not.

And what was your answer?

"Why, yes!" I said1.  "You have caught me, like a Treen in a disabled spaceship!"  Actually the clot phrased it like a lat. master would when explaining "questions expecting the answer 'no'".

1: Lie.