Author Topic: Cycling Season  (Read 8661 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Cycling Season
« Reply #25 on: 29 October, 2010, 11:51:24 pm »
This seems a strange way of doing things. I can see that having a cut-off made things simpler when the points table was maintained manually, but a rolling 12 month period would IMO be a fairer way of doing things. Surely a SR series is just as worthy of recording if it is in any 12 month period as it is if it is in a 12 month period starting on 31st October?
With the SR I'd tend to agree. Except that it's slightly easier to ride your 200/300 in (say) August/September (assuming you want to ride one of the calendar May-July 400/600s), as oppose to squeezing them into (say) Mar-Apr. Assuming one can only ride about 1 event a month. That's a lot of assumptions, but I hope you get the idea ...

But anyway, I guess it's a historical thing, what with the SR initially existing for PBP qualification i.e. only Jan-June rides counting.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #26 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:27:28 am »
This seems a strange way of doing things. I can see that having a cut-off made things simpler when the points table was maintained manually, but a rolling 12 month period would IMO be a fairer way of doing things. Surely a SR series is just as worthy of recording if it is in any 12 month period as it is if it is in a 12 month period starting on 31st October?
With the SR I'd tend to agree. Except that it's slightly easier to ride your 200/300 in (say) August/September (assuming you want to ride one of the calendar May-July 400/600s), as oppose to squeezing them into (say) Mar-Apr. Assuming one can only ride about 1 event a month. That's a lot of assumptions, but I hope you get the idea ...

But anyway, I guess it's a historical thing, what with the SR initially existing for PBP qualification i.e. only Jan-June rides counting.

Just realised that although I have ridden a 200, 300, 400 and 600 in a 12 month period, I did not qualify for a SR. I actually did the 600 first!

September 2008 - Middle Road 600km

March 2009 - Cheltenham Flyer 200km
April 2009 - Elenith 300km
June 2009 - Middle Road 400km

The Audax of 200km or more that I did in 2008 was a 200km in March!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #27 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:53:21 am »
Hi Chris. This is the first Ive heard of this. As far as I know it does not matter how you do your SR series over the 12 month cycling season 200, 300, 400, 600 or 300, 600, 200, 400. You still qualify. Then again I have only just got my head round the new AAA rules so could be wrong ?

« Reply #28 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:59:10 am »
The order in which they are done isn't important but they have to be done in the same season.  That's how it is. I don't know why. It would make listing the awards in the handbook impossible if no deadline existed.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #29 on: 30 October, 2010, 11:23:33 am »
Well I discovered the 12 AAA points I have acumalated over this season are the new AAA points. I only got my head round the new rules as of last night after completing a 110km event with 3 AAA points that I did yesterday in the Pennines. As I was grimping up them hills yesterday my thoughts were Im wasting my time and nearly threw in the towel (you really have to work for 3 AAA Points over 100km and I suffered pain) Also the weather turned, visabilatie was zero for a few hours on the top of the fells. It all makes sense the new rules with the AAA as the old AAA points system did not work over the longer distasnces, the new formula for AAA solves this problem. Anyway I was concerntrating on distance this year and wanted to do LEJOG though I never got to do the LEJOG (another story). I was not expecting any AAA points this year so to get twelve points Im still happy, at least I will get the Roll Of Honour and get myself in the Handbook.  :)

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2010, 11:36:56 am »
Was it a perm you did ? Which one ? With regards to the new system working; I don't like the thresholds. A 200km with 2795m of climb qualifies for no points wheras one with 2805m qualifies for 2.75 points for only 10m more climbing which. 10m isn't much and probably imperceptable in a 200km ride with only ~2800m of climb.  NB I am being theoretical, I don't know how rigourously the AAA Man applies to the regs to borderline examples and if the different of 5m is large enough to be measurable.

BTW how many AAAs were you awarded for Fleet Moss Rando ? 1.5 ? or a new amount under the new scheme ?

« Reply #31 on: 30 October, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »
Your theoretical 200 with 2795m climbing in 200km would be likely to qualify for 2.5 AAA points as it would probably have the necessary 2540m in a 180km section or (EDIT) 2.25 if it  had 2280m in 160km.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #32 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
OK. the perm I did yesterday was Mike Wigleys. Goyt Super Grimpeur 108km. And the Fleet Moss perm 200km I did last week was advertised as 1.5 AAA. After reading some more info on the Fleet Moss perm and what you have told me maybe I won't get the 1.5 AAA for the Fleet Moss as it says 'about 2700 metres of climbing and AAA points are under review' on the AUK web page.
So maybe theres a lot of perms advertising the wrong AAA points as it is up to the organiser and AA man to solve the problem between each other? Also is it the case we are going to have this problem into the next season and beyond ?

mikewigley

« Reply #33 on: 31 October, 2010, 08:37:57 am »
OK. the perm I did yesterday was Mike Wigley's

Get your card back to me ASAP so that I can get it validated for the current season.  (This applies to everyone as the scramble now begins to get the 2009-10 season results finalised in time for the awards ceremony at York).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 31 October, 2010, 04:18:16 pm »
Well I discovered the 12 AAA points I have acumalated over this season are the new AAA points.

IIUC, there is no deadline to get your 'new' 20 points for a badge. So those 12 points won't go to waste  :thumbsup:

( I think 20 points in a season gets you on some other list, but I'm not sure which ...  :-\  )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #35 on: 31 October, 2010, 04:49:00 pm »
OK. the perm I did yesterday was Mike Wigleys. Goyt Super Grimpeur 108km. And the Fleet Moss perm 200km I did last week was advertised as 1.5 AAA. After reading some more info on the Fleet Moss perm and what you have told me maybe I won't get the 1.5 AAA for the Fleet Moss as it says 'about 2700 metres of climbing and AAA points are under review' on the AUK web page.
So maybe theres a lot of perms advertising the wrong AAA points as it is up to the organiser and AA man to solve the problem between each other? Also is it the case we are going to have this problem into the next season and beyond ?

You talking about The Fleet Moss Rando the other week brought  it to my attention since I believed it was the one from Claughton and not from Halifax. The latter is one I could do from home by getting a train to Hebden/Mytholmroyd/Tommerden (all of which are on direct train and on my Metrocard). Thus I looked at it.  200km needs 2800m of climb to qaulify for any AAAs though 100km sections with 1500m or more will qualify it too.

I presume it'll stay as it is until someone challenges it by asking the organiser and/or the AAA man, maybe you should drop them an email to get them to review it. If nothing changes by next spring and if I decide to do it, I'll check this with the organiser and the AAA man. I  ain't riding up Fleet Moss for no AAAs, I can design a GPS AAA to get the points and ride from home. Let us know what AAAs you get awarded when it comes through.

pizzicatooff

• Night riding is inevitable
« Reply #36 on: 01 November, 2010, 12:06:46 am »
As the organiser of The Other Fleet Moss Randonnee when it was held as a calendar event, I can confirm that the AAA man has done extensive work on this in the past, trying to find a continuous 100km section eligible for AAA points. It was not easy.

This effort was successful eventually, and the AAA points quoted for the permanent event are accurate - OK, as accurate as anything else in this territory can be.

The points will also be applicable when the event makes a return to the calendar in late July 2011. That was checked prior to the event being approved.

You talking about The Fleet Moss Rando the other week brought  it to my attention since I believed it was the one from Claughton and not from Halifax. The latter is one I could do from home by getting a train to Hebden/Mytholmroyd/Tommerden (all of which are on direct train and on my Metrocard). Thus I looked at it.  200km needs 2800m of climb to qaulify for any AAAs though 100km sections with 1500m or more will qualify it too.

I presume it'll stay as it is until someone challenges it by asking the organiser and/or the AAA man, maybe you should drop them an email to get them to review it. If nothing changes by next spring and if I decide to do it, I'll check this with the organiser and the AAA man. I  ain't riding up Fleet Moss for no AAAs, I can design a GPS AAA to get the points and ride from home. Let us know what AAAs you get awarded when it comes through.