Author Topic: Overheard today  (Read 63003 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Overheard today
« Reply #500 on: October 19, 2019, 07:36:41 am »
Last Sat.  M&S Cafe, Witney.

Voice No. 1 "Tomato and basil soup please."
Voice No. 2 "Chocolate sprinkles?"

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Dormant but requires tea
« Reply #501 on: November 11, 2019, 08:34:03 am »
"My pyjamas bring me joy."
Three women on a train discussing clothes. One of them had done a "programme" where you hold up each individual item from your wardrobe and ask "Does this bring me joy?" If the answer is no, you get rid of it. She got rid of half her clothes. (This programme would leave me naked. There's an awful lot of space between "joy" and "superfluous".)
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Guy

• You can trust me - I work for the government
« Reply #502 on: November 11, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
What a weird idea. Were I to discard the clothes that don't bring me joy I would be naked  :sick: except for the blue and white EDDY MERCKX cotton racing cap I was given when I was seven.

Books, on the other hand, do bring feelings of joy. As does my Brompton, which has supplanted all the others as No 1 Favourite Bike.
What duck?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #503 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:26 pm »
Clothes do function, not joy. This week, Aberdeen, winter coat. Function=not death.

Confused
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #504 on: November 12, 2019, 05:36:52 am »
Three women on a train discussing clothes. One of them had done a "programme" where you hold up each individual item from your wardrobe and ask "Does this bring me joy?" If the answer is no, you get rid of it. She got rid of half her clothes. (This programme would leave me naked. There's an awful lot of space between "joy" and "superfluous".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ea6i0J8W2U  This "sparks joy" decision making is A Thing and is intended to apply to more than just clothing.

I could use it to explain N + 5 for my bicycles, perhaps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #505 on: November 12, 2019, 08:29:09 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ea6i0J8W2U  This "sparks joy" decision making is A Thing and is intended to apply to more than just clothing.
Yes! I know the woman on the train mentioned a name in connection with it but I couldn't remember it. Her expressive skills are quite entertaining.  :D

I could use it to explain N + 5 for my bicycles, perhaps
Oh yes! "This one sparks joy when I'm riding fast on a sunny Sunday. This one sparks joy when I'm blasting through the woods covered in mud. This one sparks joy when I'm going to work on Monday morning, it's raining and the sun hasn't yet risen. This one sparks joy when I'm lost, cold, hungry and tired two hours from the next control at 2a.m. and this one sparks joy when I caress its shiny parts."
At some point in the ride, you might find yourself in Osaka with Spanish speakers where you had expected Edinburgh talking Greek. This does not mean you are lost, or even off route.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #506 on: November 12, 2019, 12:52:51 pm »
"This one sparks joy when it gets tangled in an electric fence during a damp comedy off-roading session..."
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #507 on: November 12, 2019, 01:33:27 pm »
"This one sparks joy when it gets tangled in an electric fence during a damp comedy off-roading session..."
I know we've had this before but... https://youtu.be/eUL56vrK75I