Author Topic: A Kent ride on Saturday 20th November  (Read 6565 times)

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
A Kent ride on Saturday 20th November
« on: 14 November, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »
In my role as a ride leader for Lewisham cyclists I am doing this next Saturday

Saturday 20th November North Kent ride c.40 miles      
Head out to north Kent and the Swale district.  Quiet and flat country lanes for the most part.  Heading to the Shipwright’s Arms for lunch, through Conyer and Teynham.  If there is time, we may stop for tea in Lenham.      

Meet time: 8.20 am   Place: Outside Halfords in Catford      

We will ride to Bromley South for the 9.23 train to Bearsted.  If you wish to meet us at Bromley South, be there for 9am.      

If you wish to get the train to Bromley South from Catford or Crofton Park, you can, but ring me beforehand, please.      

Jane 07972084422

You can see a photo of the pub on the Lewisham Cyclists website.
clicky

It's quite a quaint little pub with lots of that ale stuff in wooden barrels behind the bar bearing strange names. Some more info here for those that like this stuff.
clicky

I'm just doing the ride because I like the quiet lanes round there- one hill to start with.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A kent ride next Saturday
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2010, 04:22:55 pm »
Bearsted for 9.20 - doable. Will give this some thought.

Our daughter used to live in Bearsted before she bought a house in central Maidstone.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2010, 04:48:51 pm »
The 9.23 is from Bromley South, Wow. It gets to Bearsted about 10.20 I think. A bit late for winter but us soft Londoners find it hard to get out of bed early.
There's one hill at the beginning (we have to get over the North Downs) - either Hollingbourne or Cold Blow Lane (no- we're not heading out to Millwall) depending on how I feel on the day.  Back to Beartsed is easier because it's further east and the North Downs dip a bit then drift away gently as you go eastwards.  I will try to post a bikehike or bikely route but have had trouble doing so, so far. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2010, 05:32:29 pm »
Arrives in Bearsted at 10.07. Eminently doable.

« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:08:26 pm »
Its a lovely ride - I did it with Jane, Kats and Pippa earlier this year.
Pub for lunch is a good'un, as is the one significant climb just after the outset from the station.
The lanes which follow are sublime.
Not yet sure whether I'll be able to make this one... decision to be made closer to the date...

« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »

Not yet sure whether I'll be able to make this one... decision to be made closer to the date...

are you not riding to Brighton on Friday night?

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:24:11 pm »
are you not riding to Brighton on Friday night?

FNRttC?
One of two rides currently held in balance......

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2010, 09:40:28 pm »
I probably would have done this ride, if I wasn't doing the FNRttC.

Trying to do both, is probably not a good idea. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2010, 09:49:54 am »
I shall be coming along on this.

I'll meet you all at Bearstead Station. James will deliver me by car and then visit his parents in Tonbridge.

Both doggies will also be squeezed into the car with my trike so it will be interesting!!!!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2010, 04:56:38 pm »
Looks like I will be coming along too, and I might be bringing my polish friend too, although he is a maybe. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2010, 12:15:38 am »
Jan and I are intending to strap the tandem to the back of the car and drive to Bearsted.

Leaving here at 8.30 should give us plenty of time.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2010, 07:52:30 am »
Well, we are up, breakfasting and aiming for an 8.30 getaway.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:14:11 am »
We'll be leaving at 8:30 too, with a Trike and two doggies squeezed into our car.

See you at Bearstead Wow & Mrs Wow. I think you will be able to reassemble your tandem more quickly that I can do the trike as it's in several bits...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »
Just back from this.
It was a good ride. Lots of misty vistas. Perhaps too many visitations (I being guilty of one of them  :-[).
Some superb lanes, previously covered in gunk. Most of said gunk now covering my bike.
Excellent pub with open fires, on the very edge of Kent as we know it, serving superb home made nom.

Thanks, Jane for plotting and leading - thanks all others for a fine day out.

I can see this being a regular ride during warmer months.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #14 on: 20 November, 2010, 07:47:06 pm »
OOoooh relief, home! That was a lovely ride, many thanks to Jane for leading such a beautiful route  :thumbsup: Alas that there was no heating on the train back, hopefully my tootsies will thaw out pretty soon  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:36:58 pm »
That was a grand ride.  I think I took the wrong bike (i.e. one without Marathon Plus :-\ ).

We rode with the gang up & over the North Downs and to the pub for lunch.  I had a faerie strike less than a mile from the pub, which was annoying, because I had Pasela TGs on :(

I walked to the pub so I could change the tube in more comfort.  But I couldn't find the problem, and I got hit again in almost exactly the same spot.

Jurek very kindly agreed to leave us his pump so we could fettle roadside and not hold everyone up.  We went to Faversham, where Butterfly gave me a brief tour, then we took the train home.

A great ride in very good company.  Thanks to all.
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16 on: 20 November, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »
Had a good day today!

The trike had to suffer the indignity of having its front mudguards and wheels removed, plus its boom shortened, in order to fit it in the car with Big Dog and Small Dog (Small Dog goes in a crate which makes her a bit larger overall). So we arrived at Bearstead Station and then had to empty the car of dogs before extricating the Trice and rebuilding it. Poppy (the puppy) very much enjoyed meeting everyone and bouncing around as usual.

We set off up a bit of a whopper of a hill. Which then carried on a bit more, and more, getting steeper. A good workout and certainly warmed me up!

The roads were mostly OK but quite skoggy in places so the punctures that we had aren't particularly surprising. Still we made reasonable progress, including a bit of off-road (part of the NCN1). We passed Swale Marina and they had the doppelgänger for our boat in there which was a bit unusual.

Lunch was at the Shipwright's Arms at Oare which was a fab pub. I stationed myself near the open fire which was just wonderful.

We set off again at 2:30pm, shortening the route a little as time was marching on. Just after I rang James to say it was about time he left his parents' house to come and pick me up I got a puncture. We pumped the tube up again and it seemed to hold but after another half mile it was down again so Ianrauk helped me change the tube. We then decided to see if we could catch everyone up again in the remaining 4.5 miles, despite having stopped twice to fiddle with my puncture. We both went excessively fast down hills and along narrow lanes in the dark (and my light batteries really need to be recharged as they were a bit naff) and finally caught up with the blinking lights as they were approaching Bearstead Station. James was waiting there for me so the trike had its wheels and mudguards removed again and it went into the car, being surrounded by dogs.

A nice 90 minute drive home listening to a talking book and a much-appreciated hot shower.

A good day and thanks to Jane for organising it!

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2010, 09:08:43 pm »
Thanks Jane for organising this ride.
Had a great day out with good company to a super pub with home made grub to match.
Never been down Hollingbourne Hill in the dark - quite a thrill.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #18 on: 20 November, 2010, 09:14:58 pm »
Had a great day out with good company to a super pub with home made grub to match.
Never been down Hollingbourne Hill in the dark - quite a thrill.

Ahh it was lovely to meet you Alan, great to have 3 of the Taffia on the ride  :thumbsup: Thank you so much for leading me back to Bearsted. That downhill on Hollingbourne was feckin' interesting, especially when you see your own shadow appearing and you think that its another cyclist!

« Reply #19 on: 20 November, 2010, 09:35:37 pm »
A nice 90 minute drive home .....
90 minutes from Bearstead to yours? That's going some...
Did you just say "Home James" ?  ;)

Had a great day out with good company ....
Good to have your (informed) company today, AlanD. Hopefully see you on other rides soon.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 20 November, 2010, 10:04:10 pm »
A nice 90 minute drive home .....
90 minutes from Bearstead to yours? That's going some...
Did you just say "Home James" ?  ;)
Not quite, I was the driver, he the passenger! But when the hot shower at home is calling, one is able to make reasonable progress...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #21 on: 20 November, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »
A very good ride, rather hillier than anything Essex or Suffolk has to offer.

Jan and I were late:-

1. Because our alarm clock is a bit crap
2. Because I was struggling with my arthritic left wrist and it was quite hard to get the tandem on the bike carrier
3. We had to stop for petrol, the warning light having come on
4. I needed a pee.

Clarion helped me take the tandem off the back of the car and while we were assembling it Jan paid for the parking.

Everything that needs to be said about road conditions and hills has been said. I recognised bits of the route because it coincided with FNRtWhitstable in a few places. Jan and I were always the slowest, although a few people staged a few punctures just to make us feel better.

The pub was a gem. The beer was gravity-drawn and very well kept. The steak pie and chips were of the highest quality and clearly home-made. The landlord told us that most of his visitors who travel there from Southend come by boat (there's a deep tidal creek separated from the pub just by a sea wall).

We lost three who decided that the train from Faversham was a better option than cycling back to Bearsted and certainly there was a very long grind to the top of the North Downs. However, we were rewarded with some excellent views across Maidstone and its environs, and as Jurek says, this ride would be a delight in May.

Jane was pleased that she managed to turn it into a bit of a night ride as well, and we fair hurtled down the hills over the last two or three miles back to Bearsted, whence Jan and I dropped in on our daughter where, after we'd watched Martha have her bath, s-i-l treated us to an excellent beef stew.

I'm sorry if I wasn't my normal cheerful self today but I spent the entire day grappling with the problem of pain caused by my immune system attacking the cartilage in my left hand and wrist.. There were times when I was worried I wouldn't be able to apply the back brake sufficiently to stop us, but once we were on the hills we managed OK.

Thanks to Jane for a good day out.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
Re: A Kent ride on Saturday 20th November
« Reply #22 on: 20 November, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »
Thanks to everyone who came along- shame we couldn't have spent longer in the pub- it's so cosy and quirky- I will try and plan a ride that actually ends there so those that like such things can imbibe and relax to their hearts content and then just pootle the 2 miles or so to Faversham station (that would include me).  I would like to thank  Alan for his local knowledge and, I think now, much better route out of Bearsted than I had originally planned. Ian and Jurek, too,  for tail ending a lot of the way and sorting many of the mechanicals so quickly and unobtrusively I was hardly aware of their occurrence.  Thanks to everyone for the banter, chat and cheer despite the fact that this is not a largely flat ride after the hill at the beginning, as I had described it and that is what some of you were expecting. I kept hitting a hill and thinking, oh dear, I forgot about this one.  As I said on the ride, there must be some cyclist mental mechanism similar to the one women have that has enabled the massive growth of the human race- you just forget how bad it was after you've done it, until you do it again. (and that could mean either of two things). Thanks also to Jurek for reminding me quickly enough whenever I missed a turn so we only had a few yards to backtrack. Great to see Butterfy and Clarion, Gary and Jan who I hadn't seen for a while on a ride and to meet Poppy- love at first sight on my part.  Respect to AH for descending the hill with Ian at what must have been breakneck speed after her visitation. And sorry Wow,  this time my cherry(ies)  remained firmly in my Barley as I forgot all about the cake I made for the ride.  Mario's munching it right now for his pudding.  So sorry you were having a tough time with your wrist- my apologies if my ride description was a bit misleading.  If I wasn't such a dinosaur I would have GPS and you would have had prior knowledge. Anyway, if we hadn't had to wait a bit for you and Jan we would have missed that glorious bit of the ride at the end.
Thanks also to Gary and Alan (B) ( although they may not see this) for the chance to tease (wearing shorts on what turned out to be a very cold descent of a long, steep hill in the dark- tee hee, made me feel toasty warm.)
   We ended the ride in the dark, crisp and clear autumn air under a practically full moon with the lights of Maidstone twinkling in the distance from our extended viewpoint along the Pilgrims Way.  Absolutely beautiful and made up for not going on the FNRttC very nicely, thank you.  And thanks to you all- goodnight.

« Reply #23 on: 21 November, 2010, 08:56:19 am »
Sounds like you all had a good time, mostly.  You must have a re-run, possibly in the sunnier and warmer months, and preferably away from the full moon (...and no I'm not about to turn into a Werewolf, because of the FNRttCs!)
Actually, it is rocket science.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #24 on: 21 November, 2010, 09:19:03 am »
We did have a great time- I just felt a bit bad for underestimating the hill quotient and not providing people with the evidence (GPS track) beforehand so they could judge it and pace themselves accordingly- I know how annoying it can be when you go riding with a mate (I'm not speaking of anyone in particular, am I , fhills?) and they don't let you in on the ride's little secrets because they think you like surprises!  And Wow was suffering with his hand quite badly which is not good when you're descending.  I felt it may have made it worse. Maybe it's time for this old dinosaur (me that is) to give in and get a GPS!  I'm thinking about it- that will be about as great a concession I make to improved cycling technology- my down tube levers and toe clips will be buried with me when I die.  (They amused Suleyman no end on the ride anyway).