Author Topic: Interesting or unusual planes?  (Read 396370 times)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Re: Interesting or unusual planes?
« Reply #100 on: 10 July, 2011, 01:04:35 am »
I'll bow to your greater knowledge and identification skills, I don't know either aircraft well enough to make more than a cursory call!

Tony's comment about swept wings is spot on though, the Hawk's wings aren't anywhere near as far swept as the Gnat, and that image looks like it has quite swept wings.

It looks like there's something suspended from the wing as well, and that sort of thing seems more common on the Gnat than the Hawk (although it looks like both can have clean wings or various objects suspended).
Steph posted a comment that she withdrew immediately, in which she said stuff about wing sweep and shoulder wings visible in the video. I worked on Hunters and Provosts, but Hawks were looked at as were Vampires and Argosies (we had some seriously old stuff...)

Martin

« Reply #101 on: 20 July, 2011, 01:44:49 pm »
not an unusual plane but owing to some fracas near the Med the RAF didn't have a Typhoon to spare for RIAT last weekend so BAe provided this tooled - up example;

I like this A10; only seen them on a flypast before. A bit like a one passenger airliner with a similar sound

« Reply #102 on: 20 July, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »
Just thought i'd slip this in;  in no way unusual, but here's one of the latest additions to my logbook:

« Reply #103 on: 20 July, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »
I'm ok with the plane - but what's going on with the half-car behind it  ???

« Reply #104 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:43:26 pm »
I'm ok with the plane - but what's going on with the half-car behind it  ???

It's the beaching gear, half car half forklift for moving the plane on terra firma.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #105 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:47:18 pm »
Wow.  Odd.

I guess that one's an Otter - what's the first?
Getting there...

« Reply #106 on: 20 July, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »
Bog standard Cessna 172, with floats and the back seats removed.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #107 on: 25 July, 2011, 05:01:12 pm »
Wow.  Odd.

Very odd! I'm guessing that there is a reason, but why go to the trouble of cutting a pick-up in half? What would be wrong with a whole pick-up?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #108 on: 25 July, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »
Wow.  Odd.

Very odd! I'm guessing that there is a reason, but why go to the trouble of cutting a pick-up in half? What would be wrong with a whole pick-up?

Looking at it, I'd guess there are a set of wheels obscured somewhere under the floats.  If you had three sets of wheels, with the steering ones in the middle, it wouldn't really manoeuvre.  The back half of the vehicle isn't needed, so get rid of it, and you'll have slightly more oomph for moving the plane.  With less stuff there, it also probably makes the whole thing slightly more manoeuvrable, you can reverse closer to something, by the distance of the bit of vehicle you've removed.
Actually, it is rocket science.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #109 on: 25 July, 2011, 06:55:09 pm »

P6101937 by windy_, on Flickr

The Isle of Barra plane that uses a beach as a runway.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #110 on: 19 August, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »
De Haviland Rapide, which flew over me one Sunday morning, so I continued on to Shoreham airport (Britain's Oldest Licensed Airport I might add) and took these:

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #111 on: 19 August, 2011, 02:12:26 pm »
Nice. :thumbsup:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #112 on: 19 August, 2011, 02:14:33 pm »
I like this A10; only seen them on a flypast before. A bit like a one passenger airliner with a similar sound

It's a flying gatling gun.  When they fire they emit a parping sound akin to a loud fart. 

« Reply #113 on: 19 August, 2011, 02:16:05 pm »
I've flown in a Rapide, a few years ago at Duxford.  The seats were like small directors chairs with canvas seats and backs on a metal frame. Not fantastically comfortable but a very enjoyable flight. Particularly as I was at the front and could see into the cockpit, Which has a fairly unique control column if I remember correctly.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #114 on: 20 August, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #115 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:51:52 am »

It's a flying gatling gun.  When they fire they emit a parping sound akin to a loud fart.

Apparently if they fire a long enough burst, they run a serious risk of stalling their engines.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #116 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:07:09 am »
On Sunday, walking near Lewes, a Flying Fortress, a Spitfire, and a Catalina. Not at the same time.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #117 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:01:04 am »
We visited Newark Air Museum on Thursday.  Lots of interesting stuff, including MiGs 23 & 27 (no 25 :( ).

Someone there loves Canberras.

And they have a Vulcan.
Getting there...

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #118 on: 30 August, 2011, 09:09:52 pm »
They also have/had a Lightning, on a plinth, near there, left to be vandalised. Dreadful.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #119 on: 30 August, 2011, 10:51:39 pm »
The Lightning is on the field now, but it is in a sorry state. :(
Getting there...

Steph

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #121 on: 31 August, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »
Crikey!  Well, the one we saw wasn't in anything like that bad a state.  Could be being restored, as the paintwork was in a very sorry, half-stripped state, so possibly the same machine, but I doubt it.
Getting there...

Steph

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #123 on: 03 September, 2011, 06:47:56 pm »
Last Wednesday, I finally got to go around Tangmere Military Aviation Museum.  It's quite a compact museum, with only 2 small hangars, but in the old Mess buildings, they have crammed in loads of displays and bits of aircraft interiors and equipment.

They're especially proud of their Lightning and Hunters, including the Airspeed record holder as flown by Neville Duke in 1953 from Tangmere:-

However, what impressed me the most was the replica Spitfire prototype:-

The original was destroyed just before the war, but this is one of several reproductions made.  Although this is a non flying version, it was built by a firm of aircraft restorers whilst they were working on a normal Spitfire, and it's supposed to be 99% accurate, and it certainly felt and looked very authentic to me.  Even though it's not the real thing, it represents an iconic step forward by British aviation.

Pictures of the other aircraft they have are shown here.

If you find yourself out that way, I recommend you spend an afternoon there.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Steph

« Reply #124 on: 05 September, 2011, 11:30:18 am »
When returning via Oxford from Shrewsbury, I saw my first VC10 in years on a landing circuit. Probably for Brize.