Author Topic: The Good Deed Thread. Let's make the world a better place.  (Read 21816 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: The Good Deed Thread. Let's make the world a better place.
« Reply #125 on: 26 March, 2011, 08:00:23 am »
On Thursday, when I was volunteering at the bike rescue, a lady stuck her head round the door to ask if we had a lock she could but.  Since the worksop and the shop are separate, we don't have any for sale stock.  And whilst we could have looked after her bike while we were there, we would be finishing a couple of hours before she was leaving the place she was off to.

So I lent her one of my locks - just the Abus twisty-coil cable one (which is my 'cafe lock' and the one I use to lock through the saddle rails if I'm locking up somewhere a bit dodgy) rather than the D-lock or the sturdier kryptonite cable.  I tied the key on a bit of string so that when she'd finished she could tie it onto the lock and post the lot through the letterbox into the workshop.  I shall find out next week if she did.

I've only just noticed that actually I've got two rides out this weekend where I would normally take that lock and will now have to take one of the heavy ones!

« Reply #126 on: 26 March, 2011, 01:58:51 pm »
On Thursday, when I was volunteering at the bike rescue, a lady stuck her head round the door to ask if we had a lock she could but.  Since the worksop and the shop are separate, we don't have any for sale stock.  And whilst we could have looked after her bike while we were there, we would be finishing a couple of hours before she was leaving the place she was off to.

So I lent her one of my locks - just the Abus twisty-coil cable one (which is my 'cafe lock' and the one I use to lock through the saddle rails if I'm locking up somewhere a bit dodgy) rather than the D-lock or the sturdier kryptonite cable.  I tied the key on a bit of string so that when she'd finished she could tie it onto the lock and post the lot through the letterbox into the workshop.  I shall find out next week if she did.

I've only just noticed that actually I've got two rides out this weekend where I would normally take that lock and will now have to take one of the heavy ones!

I'd offer to lend you my cafe lock, but I'm in Eccles...

We helped a little old lady today - she did ask us to - to get her laden shopping trolley down a slope, because she was afraid of being run away with.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #127 on: 26 March, 2011, 07:57:53 pm »
Not a good deed that we've done, but one that we were on the receiving end of....

After a perfectly pleasant train journey to Northallerton we went for a lovely pootle with the Tiermat clan, then back to the Tiermat House of Coffee where I checked online the trains back to York.  And discovered that they were all cancelled due to signal problems at York.

So Tiermat and Mrs T. divided us and our bikes between their cars and, together with TLD, drove us all the way back to York where TLD had some beans-on-toast for tea with the Cubs and they've just set off to drive all the way back again.  Especially heroic when you consider that Mrs T. had just ridden the furthest she's ever ridden, after a couple of years off the bike!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #128 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:38:10 pm »
Yesterday morning, as I came up alongside a VW Polo, I noticed that the passenger side door mirror was folded in.  After checking with the driver via the medium of inadequate mime, I folded it out for him.

I wonder how long he'd been driving before he even noticed it...
Getting there...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #129 on: 26 April, 2011, 10:38:10 pm »
I saw a bloke on the tube today holding a pair of crutches, standing on one foot and flexing the other, clearly in some amount of pain.  So I stood up to give him my seat.

Pity the entirely-fit-bloke saw the seat and darted in there before man-on-crutches could get there, but it's the thought that counts.  ::-)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #130 on: 27 April, 2011, 07:05:42 am »
I saw a bloke on the tube today holding a pair of crutches, standing on one foot and flexing the other, clearly in some amount of pain.  So I stood up to give him my seat.

Pity the entirely-fit-bloke saw the seat and darted in there before man-on-crutches could get there, but it's the thought that counts.  ::-)
If I didn't know better, I'd highlight the potential innuendo in the words
entirely-fit-bloke.
Sorry to hear that your act of kindness got taken-advantage-of.  Don't let it stop you (or anyone else out there) giving it a try.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #131 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:04:14 pm »
I remember a similar incident on the Warsaw metro. Two old ladies got on, one of them sat in a free seat near the door and the other stood near here. I can't remember if she was with a stick or anything but she seemed to be having trouble keeping her balance on the swaying train. Between me and her were several teenagers who ignored her, so after a couple of stops I got up and offered her my seat. Oh no, she said, she wanted to stand next to her friend. Fair enough, so I go to sit down again and one of the other teenagers has nicked my place!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #132 on: 27 April, 2011, 08:32:51 pm »

I'd have invited the crutches bloke to sit on the fit bloke. Or sit on him myself, that'd learn him...

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #133 on: 21 May, 2011, 05:56:30 pm »
At 1655, the train arrived in Plymouth; it had left Glasgow at 0700
this morning.  It then turned round to form the 1723 back to Leeds.  The only
other occupant of first class made huge tutting noises about how filthy it
was, "and how I've paid so much for a ticket, and should have a clean table".

I found a plastic bag in my luggage, and picked up half a dozen coffee cups,
a few biscuit wrappers, and assorted rubbish.  I explained to her that it's
either a bit of rubbish on the tables, or "Sorry Madam we can't let you board
the train as we're cleaning it."

She asked me if I worked here; so a bit of a white lie when I said no.

She then apologised for being grumpy, and thanked me for restoring her
faith in people.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #134 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
A good deed I witnessed. On Friday, after school broke up for half term (as it still gets called contrary to roolz), a boy from my son's class was riding round the garden outside the school on a bike with two half-pedals. Each had broken off along the axis of the axle (is that a tortology?). So their teacher appeared with a spare pair of pedals and fitted them! This is the teacher who, Little Cudzo informed me, spent Easter riding his bike around Wales.  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #135 on: 30 May, 2011, 12:46:38 pm »
The other day I had a bus day ticket which I had done with for the day so I gave it to someone at a bus stop to use.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #136 on: 30 May, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »
There was an "epidemic" of that several years ago when they introduced timed tickets on the buses, valid on any service for a certain time after stamping, in place of the previous one-ticket-per-bus system.

simonp

« Reply #137 on: 30 May, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »
I offered* to help some people off the train with their luggage, even though my wrist is still not quite right.

* Offer declined, but she said I should count it as my good deed for the day.

« Reply #138 on: 30 May, 2011, 06:14:47 pm »
Because they are gits?

Did he? And if so, was it sufficiently gracious?

yes he did*, no he wasnt gracious at all. 

* - but I'm 6'2" and built like a brick outhouse.  He wasnt. 

I do find that this helps when suggesting an altruistic act.

I feel somewhat less persuasive now I am 2/3rds the man I used to be.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #139 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »
Not once, but twice, on the same train this evening, I had to make use of train-fu.  Passengers too young (or too foreign) to remember doors that have to be opened by pushing down the window, then using the handle on the outside.  Cue a dash to the vestibule to let them out.

The BREL-built Mk3 Coach.  Carlsberg don't make coaches, but if they did...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #140 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:28:24 pm »
Not once, but twice, on the same train this evening, I had to make use of train-fu.  Passengers too young (or too foreign) to remember doors that have to be opened by pushing down the window, then using the handle on the outside.

I noticed that problem on the train back from York last week.  Lots of hanging around looking confused in the vestibule before someone who knows what's going on opens the door.  Not helped by the inability to read signs that people seem to be overcome with whenever they're faced with a train-related unintuitive door scenario.  The staff do seem wise to the problem and will open doors from the outside where possible.

(I never understood what the problem was with fitting a handle to the inside of the door.)

ObGoodDeed: Many tens of hours mutexing the toilet cubicle on trains with button operated door locks, saving many elderly, non-engish speaking and otherwise inattentive people from embarrassment.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #141 on: 03 July, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »
I thought that all slam door stock had been withdrawn from service on "safety grounds". Evidently not - just as you still see the occasional Routemaster in London (and don't they look old-fashioned now they're not everywhere!)

« Reply #142 on: 03 July, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
On a return from Berwick a few years ago, on a very hot day, I got on an old slam door train, it was bliss. The lovely guard lady said because it was hot, she was leaving the windows open, so there was a cool breeze through the train. Lots of legroom, and comfy seats.

Sadly, it broke down just outside Newcastle, so we were backed into the station, and transferred to the next (modern) train - two trainsworth of people on one train, and aircon that couldn't cope...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #143 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:15:44 am »
(I never understood what the problem was with fitting a handle to the inside of doors)

Well, there were an awful lot of 'suicides' on the trains until they fitted central locking.
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #144 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:31:41 am »
I seem to recall "The Tamworth Triangle" (whatever that means). 
The press were telling that us that there was an epidemic of falling out.
(So probably two in the same month, or something)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #145 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:52:18 am »
Last week I pulled a small child out of the stream. He had run ahead of his mother, who was on crutches, and he couldn't clamber up the steep bank. I had to lie on my front and reach down to him, and once he was part-way out another passer-by did the rest.

When his mum picked him up an hugged him, she was covered in lovely mud.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #146 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:10:47 am »
Good stuff.  The kid saved by Santa.
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #147 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:48:16 am »
After that my directing a carfull of young ladies to wher they might be able to park their car for the tennis yesterday pales into insignificance

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #148 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:24:40 am »
After that my directing a carfull of young ladies to wher they might be able to park their car for the tennis yesterday pales into insignificance
Was that a good deed, or flirting?  ;)

Yes

HTH :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #149 on: 04 July, 2011, 11:29:11 am »

You didn't offer them your furry balls to play with too did you?
It is simpler than it looks.