Author Topic: iPad? Or something else?  (Read 10443 times)

Clandy

Re: iPad? Or something else?
« Reply #25 on: 23 November, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »
"The problem is you can't always select certain bits on text on many webpages in order to cut and paste them.". Cut and pasted on iPhone4.

POP.

« Reply #26 on: 23 November, 2010, 01:00:44 pm »
I'm not saying you can't cut and paste you tit  ;D  I'm saying you cant cut and paste everything!

Clandy

« Reply #27 on: 23 November, 2010, 01:14:10 pm »
I'm not saying you can't cut and paste you tit  ;D  I'm saying you cant cut and paste everything!

;D

« Reply #28 on: 23 November, 2010, 02:00:33 pm »
Early adopters of the iPad were the traditional fanboys, but now there's going to be a backlash when normal adopters realise they can't get to the sites they want to get to. No 4oD, so no Channel 4 shows, no ITV player so no ITV shows, just BBC. 

I got my first iPhone before OS 2 and app store launched, when all you could do were download widgets, essentially cut down webpages that required an internet connection for them to work. Looking back it was a pile of sh!t, but as a fanboy I still raved about it.

« Reply #29 on: 23 November, 2010, 02:05:59 pm »
There is something about the whole iPad/iPhone experience that seems to steer you a certain way.

It's gone full circle with the Microsoft/Apple thing, when Apple users felt ther were somehow freer.
If it's freedom you want... don't get an Apple device.

(...says a mostly contented iPhone user  ;D )

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2010, 02:35:19 pm »
The evil genius being that most of the time, it's what most of the people want.

The ipad is absolutely beautiful for comics, by the way. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »
The evil genius being that most of the time, it's what most of the people want.

Ah yes. The illusion of choice.

Clandy

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2010, 04:32:56 pm »

« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:55:43 am »
Having been tempted by the ipad, and reading through about iOS4.2, it would appear that you need to have a separate machine running iTunes to make it work properly, do software updates, etc.  Is this correct, as presumably it stops it from being the only computer you would need to own.....

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:56:49 am »
They'll upgrade for you in an Apple store if you take it in. But you can't do upgrades over the air.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Clandy

« Reply #35 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:04:40 pm »

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »
Cheers for all the info everyone. Time to get saving I think. The iPad is looking the winner for me, hopefully the 2nd generation one will come out soon(if there will actually be one)
The Samsung alternative just looks too small, and I think the BB will also be abit too small.
Can't see the Acer pictures at the moment because I'm just on the mobile site so I'll have to look at those tomorrow.
Cheers

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #37 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »
I like mine a lot, it's probably the best gadget I bought this year.  You can type pretty quickly on it, landscape keyboard is fine for touch typing.  It's the most used computer in our house by almost an order of magnitude.

Ural is right though, sometimes you can't easily select text, such as a FB status, whilst you can select comments on that status.  It's not a major hassle, there's usually an easy workaround.

p.s. Ural, I'm feeling genuinely sorry for you.  Have a man hug and a kiss. :-*
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #38 on: 27 November, 2010, 10:54:08 pm »
Tried the galaxy tab in PC world today.

Everything was fine, until I tried two finger zoom in the browser - rubbish - no real time zoom, only a zoom to an undetermined size once fingers were removed.

Very disappointing. The user interface will make or break these things, and apple have set the bar high.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 27 November, 2010, 11:20:29 pm »

Very disappointing. The user interface will make or break these things, and apple have set the bar high.

That's the key, and the key that is often forgotten.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #40 on: 01 February, 2011, 01:28:36 am »

Everything was fine, until I tried two finger zoom in the browser - rubbish - no real time zoom, only a zoom to an undetermined size once fingers were removed.

Interesting take on Galaxy sales from a Samsung Exec here...
It is simpler than it looks.

Clandy

« Reply #41 on: 01 February, 2011, 09:05:41 am »

Interesting take on Galaxy sales from a Samsung Exec here...

Unsurprising. I have used both iPad and Samsung side by side, there really is no comparison. The Samsung was clumsy, as if it had been deliberately crippled, when compared to the iPad. The only thing stopping my buying an iPad is the lack of usb connectivity, if it had that I'd buy one tomorrow.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #42 on: 01 February, 2011, 11:45:31 am »
What do you want to connect via USB?

There's a dongle to connect a camera, keyboard available and software to mount drives

Clandy

« Reply #43 on: 01 February, 2011, 11:47:34 am »
What do you want to connect via USB?

There's a dongle to connect a camera, keyboard available and software to mount drives
\

If it is to replace a laptop I will want continual access to my 1Tb external drive which holds music, videos, photos etc. I really like Apple kit, I have an iPhone, an iPod, an iMac, but without USB or Firewire, the iPad is of little use to me.

« Reply #44 on: 01 February, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »
If folk find the iPad difficult to use they can always buy an iMage which effectively turns it into a laptop  :D ;D

« Reply #45 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:25:45 am »
So, the iPad2 is announced; evolution, not revolution.  Tempted by it still, but also by the 25% reduction on the current models.

So, iPad1 on the cheap, iPad2 or neither....

« Reply #46 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:29:57 am »
I would love an iPad 2.  I think I'll ebay my iPad 1 in the next few months and upgrade.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #47 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:34:31 am »
If the evolution of the iPod, iPhone and Kindle are anything to go by (to pick just a few obvious examples), you might find you're better off waiting for iPad 3.

It seems that third generation = maturity in tech terms.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #48 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:48:45 am »
Absolutely, but still, the new model has substantial improvements, maybe enough to tempt me to pay to upgrade.  One rumour has it that the iPad 3 will likely have the retina display.  Eye candy!!

« Reply #49 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:50:51 am »
I still haven't found a good enough need for one yet.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."