Author Topic: Bending wood  (Read 6194 times)

Re: Bending wood
« Reply #25 on: 07 January, 2011, 12:15:12 am »

I think I'll end up making a simple former - I can probably get away with supporting it in a few places on the outside of each  bend, but I'll definately make it out of wood as I think it will look nicer than carbon fibre (and be easier for me to deal with!)

We tend to use MDF front & back (usually screwed to a base, sandwich styrofoam in between and then cut with a hot wire.

I use vacuum bagging to apply pressure. It can be done with one of those bags for packing clothes in (they are available in Wilkos), connected to a vacuum cleaner.

I haven't tried  to make anything as curved as your example, though.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #26 on: 07 January, 2011, 08:49:15 am »
I haven't tried  to make anything as curved as your example, though

Fnarr! Fnarr!

Coat. Hallway.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuzzy

« Reply #27 on: 07 January, 2011, 02:54:02 pm »
Zipper,

Follow these instructions closely-

Await the next Zipper/ Moton confluence.

Grovel around in the gutter to locate the Moton head subsequently removed by TEH BEAR using TEH SHUVEL.

Take the retrieved head to your friendly local taxidermist.

Have said taxidermist slightly reduce the head then preserve and mount on a plinth (may I suggets nicely polished mahogany or ebony?).

You now have an attractive and conversation starting stand for your new cans.

Hope this helps (though prolly not).

« Reply #28 on: 07 January, 2011, 03:45:30 pm »
WTF are the ones at front right? They're mahoosive!
Like having Marshall 4x12 cabs strapped on the side of your head...

They're Stax electrostatic headphones - which is what I've got and want to find a nice home for.

Heard some attached to Linn LP12/Ekos/Koetsu > Exposure pre when I was 15. Startling.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #29 on: 07 January, 2011, 03:52:59 pm »
Thought I'd better point out that when I've got wood it most definitely won't bend.

*leaves thread immediately*

22 replies before someone said that.  Standards are slipping!
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #30 on: 07 January, 2011, 04:08:10 pm »
It should be relatively straightforward to do with a former and layering up thin pieces (we did it with veneer and PVA at school, many years ago). For the shape I think you'd need to have a three piece former - one for the inside, then cut the outer former along the top so that it can be put into place from the sides and clamped, rather than having to slid in from the front. Obviously that can be cut from a single block of wood - make the cut in the shape you want the finished piece, then cut the top piece along the top.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #31 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »
The laminated former route will be a pain in the butt.

Get yourself some oak faced ply - 1" thick. Cut out head shapes and glue/clamp them. Plane, sand, varnish. Result a beautiful, stable, weighty and delightfullu grained stand.  The ply layers will look lovely when shaped and varnished and the oak facing will give a good face finish.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

gordon taylor

« Reply #32 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:40:39 pm »
Too much faff for me...

I think I'd get a big log and shape it roughly with a chainsaw.

Done.  :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #33 on: 07 January, 2011, 06:51:56 pm »
I would buy a sheet of 18mm ply/mdf, make a template and route it out about 10 times and then glue together, then a roundover bit to make it all smooth and paint it nice. If you do make them, make them smaller than your head, so they still have the spring effect when you put them on for a secure fit.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium