Author Topic: 10 hours per week to train for PBP- how should I invest my time ?  (Read 4862 times)

david.ness

Another PBP newbie question from me I'm afraid. I want to make sure that the 10 hours per week that I've got available for training are invested wisely. I can currently do 100 miles in a day back to back for 3 days. Everything I've read in this forum says it's about spending time in the saddle, but equally I'm mindful of putting in "junk" miles. To get the most from my training where should I spend my time ?
I'm keen to use either Heart Rate or Power Zones to be scientific about this. 

Thanks in advance.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: 10 hours per week to train for PBP- how should I invest my time ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »
I assume you'll have the odd weekend for something longer like the qualifiers etc.

I did LEL on my 10 30-minute commutes which is 5 hours/week so you could be fine - it all depends on what else you've done.
After a certain distance it's not the cycling itself that'll get you, but how you manage eating and sleeping - can you manage 5 days in a row on only 3 hours sleep a night, are you going to be able to eat enough without feeling sick, do you know what sort of foods you will cope with (I prefer real food and don't seem to have trouble with lack of sleep - though of course it caught me afterwards)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2011, 09:35:40 pm »
That's roughly what I've got. Here's an average week for me:-

5 hours commuting (10 x 30 minute commutes pushing quite hard)
2 hours interval training (5x5 and 2x20) on a stationary bike in the work gym
1.5 hour weekend ride (if not doing a qualifying Audax)
1.5 hours 5-a-side football
5+ hours drinking

I expect to finish with little time to spare, hopefully with some sleep each night.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2011, 11:48:43 pm »
10 hours is plenty.

I think a mix of short rides (20km) at high pace and longer one at audax pace will do the trick.

I think that 300 are really useful because on long rides you need to do a bit more than 300km everyday. So if you start in the morning thinking "I just need to do a 300 today and I know that a 300 won't destroy me"; psychologically you will feel good. 300km rides happen to be 15-17ish hours rides if you are an average rider but you can do say only one a month from march or april (unless you do a longer one as a qualifier) and the rest of time concentrate on regular short rides which are easy to fit in your schedule.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2011, 12:14:26 am »
I'm pretty inexperienced but will relate you two anecdotes of my own:

In 2008 I tried to ride an 8 day end-to-end (i.e. something over 100 miles a day) and failed. Didn't have the fitness (or experience) and succumbed to injury at halfway only!

About six months ago I comfortably rode my first 600k brevet (the Border Raid) on a pretty slow vehicle - a recumbent trike. This was not dissimilar from the distance I managed on my 4 days of e2e attempt in one go.

Before the end-to-end attempt I had a regular diet of 175 mile weeks (35 miles a day of mainly open road commuting ~ 2 hours a day).

Before the 600k I was riding just 8 miles a day to work, slowly through the city centre. But I did have six 200km brevets under my belt, which had got me used to riding the longer distances.

So, FWIW I'm not convinced you should prioritise intensity too much, unless you are definitely getting in longer rides anyway. Personally, I'm (trying to) get in three quality sessions of aerobic work a week, with a view to moving on to longer rides when we get into audax season, at which point I'm going to switch my midweek routine to harder pace.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2011, 12:41:14 am »
Lots of useful info here. This is one of many helpful articles at ultracycling.com

Ultra Cycling:  Endurance  Training

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »
Crikey  :o

I only have a ride every other weekend and our mid-week pub ride scheduled in as on-the-bike-time on the road to Paris.

Should I be alarmed?

H

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

I only have a ride every other weekend and our mid-week pub ride scheduled in as on-the-bike-time on the road to Paris.

Should I be alarmed?

H

unless you remember bringing along your infamous thong.
Chief cat entertainer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2011, 05:49:10 pm »
/Eddy Merckx

Ride lots.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Hummers

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2011, 06:57:27 pm »

Should I be alarmed?

H

unless you remember bringing along your infamous thong.

The Thong has passed from me to another deserving of its power.

H

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »
Another PBP newbie question from me I'm afraid. I want to make sure that the 10 hours per week that I've got available for training are invested wisely. I can currently do 100 miles in a day back to back for 3 days. Everything I've read in this forum says it's about spending time in the saddle, but equally I'm mindful of putting in "junk" miles. To get the most from my training where should I spend my time ?
I'm keen to use either Heart Rate or Power Zones to be scientific about this.  

Thanks in advance.

You have to be able to do a 200km ride in under the BRM time limit by March time
Then follow with a 300,400 and 600.  This is the build up.  If you can do a 200 then you can do a 300 etc

Then there is a gap between qualifying and PBP.  You might do some actual "training" in this part.  Work on your main weakness.  For example climbing.  Only work on one thing, there isn't enough time to do much

You probably don't need training as such.  You probably need to do 400 and 600 rides to get your mental state sorted out.  And you don't need to do this length of ride until May

Training with a HRM is all about speed and power.  You don't need much speed or power to ride a 400/600/1200 audax

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 09 January, 2011, 03:56:09 pm »
I'd agree that you don't need to do strength, power or hill training for PBP (though a bit of hill work will make it easier - it's not flat)

But I do think that speed training could help.  The faster you can go the more sleep time you get, and for many that's the big logistical issue.  You don't need to be putting in 7-hour 200s, but I think it would be a big help if you could be able to do a flat 200 in 9 hours, a flat 300 in 15 or a flat 600 in under 36 with a sleep stop.

Those aren't requirements, of course, and very many people get round PBP who haven't done any of those things, but it would make it a lot easier in my view.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2011, 05:38:10 pm »
.. speed training could help.  The faster you can go the more sleep time you get, and for many that's the big logistical issue.  You don't need to be putting in 7-hour 200s, but I think it would be a big help if you could be able to do a flat 200 in 9 hours, a flat 300 in 15 or a flat 600 in under 36 with a sleep stop.

I agree with this, a bit of speed training could be good.  I am not a great one for training, not sure what the best exercises would be

« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2011, 08:41:52 pm »
Something else that can help IMO is some upper body/core strength training. I did both before 2007 PBP & last years Mille Miglia and I really think it helps with the long hours on the bike. Nothing strenuous, I do 3*12 reps once a week of exercises for the upper body, and some Pilates as well, when I can find the time to take one of the gym's classes.

I have a chronic problem with one shoulder, not originally caused cycling, and some specific weight exercises given to me by the Physio after MM set it off something rotten will hopefully allow me to get around PBP.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »
.. speed training could help.  The faster you can go the more sleep time you get, and for many that's the big logistical issue.  You don't need to be putting in 7-hour 200s, but I think it would be a big help if you could be able to do a flat 200 in 9 hours, a flat 300 in 15 or a flat 600 in under 36 with a sleep stop.

I agree with this, a bit of speed training could be good.  I am not a great one for training, not sure what the best exercises would be

Ride with Postie and  Scampi and  try to keep up with them.

H

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:55:05 am »
I'd agree that you don't need to do strength, power or hill training for PBP (though a bit of hill work will make it easier - it's not flat)

:o

But I do think that speed training could help.  The faster you can go the more sleep time you get, and for many that's the big logistical issue.  You don't need to be putting in 7-hour 200s, but I think it would be a big help if you could be able to do a flat 200 in 9 hours, a flat 300 in 15 or a flat 600 in under 36 with a sleep stop.

Flat 200 in 9h. Check. Grand tour de stour.

Flat 300 in 15h. Check. The Dean.

Flat 600 in 36h. BCM is 619 so I'll call that 36h (took 36h23) for a flat 600.

Panic over.

Those aren't requirements, of course, and very many people get round PBP who haven't done any of those things, but it would make it a lot easier in my view.

Yes. It was not easy in 2007 when I had done none of those things. If I can do that lot again this year (but not the Dean as I can't make it) then I'll hopefully get some sleep this time!