Author Topic: El Supremo events for 2009  (Read 16765 times)

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
Re: El Supremo events for 2009
« Reply #25 on: 20 July, 2008, 05:57:04 pm »
Just remember the first rule of audax: don't ever lean your bike on El Supremo's van/trailer :)

I fear you are mistaken, Mr MV.  That is the second; the first is not to try to enter one of his events on the line.   :)

BR
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

border-rider

« Reply #26 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
You are, as usual, correct :)

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:35:55 pm »
We should start an Audax glossary;

Supremo (adj) = mostly downhill

bikebagg

« Reply #28 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:44:43 pm »
you could try reading the thread; I was referring to a (somwhat humerous as they all are) letter Dave sent me having read the latter part of it via an unknown source, I have never referred to Dave as cantankarous, why would I do so having in the past enjoyed his organisation, good humour, catering and indeed invaluable help on my own event?

Martin, please accept my apologies. 
It was my clumsy attempt to reply to the person who originated the cantakerous tag to Dave Hudson.  I jumped into the thread from a link and I did go to the start so I do realise you did not refer to Dave in such a way.

Like you I think it would be very difficult to find a more dedicated Audax supporter and organiser than Dave Hudson.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:49:20 pm »
Just remember the first rule of audax: don't ever lean your bike on El Supremo's van/trailer :)

I fear you are mistaken, Mr MV.  That is the second; the first is not to try to enter one of his events on the line.   :)

BR

A close third "Thou shalt not rest your lips gently on the person of El Supremo".

Somebody could have told me.  :'(

I mean, I couldn't have been the first to snog him, surely.  ???

H

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:23:45 pm »
Miss out the "-" 

; followed by )  appears on t'forum as  ;)

Martin

« Reply #31 on: 20 July, 2008, 10:27:21 pm »
Miss out the "-" 

; followed by )  appears on t'forum as  ;)

so it does ;)

frere yacker

« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2008, 10:05:46 am »
Had a crack at Dave's (lumpy) 400km permanent yesterday; more in hope than in determination - egged on by Dave's note that nobody has done it yet.

Noon start from Pease Pottage meant that the traffic around Horsham, Chichester and Winchester was a tad on the heavy side; even on B roads.  Some nice stretches of road - to Rowland Castle and the hills north of Denmead.  To be fair, I am not sure whether these latter hills are on route as I think I took a wrong turning (a left marked Droxford, which was correct but I think there must have been a later turning.  Cue *big* detour as I could only salvage the ride by navigating my way back to the A272 crossroads at West Meon, and I know this was not on route!)

By sunset, my motivation dissolved.  I got to Sutton Scotney with an hour plus in hand, studied the routesheet, and realised "I've done these roads many times this year" and wasn't inspired enough to push on (out 90km to Leigh Delamare and then retrace to Sutton Scotney in the dark, followed by a scoot along the A272 through Petersfield to Billingshurst then back to the start). 

So I pootled back to Winchester to get a train back to Redhill; grinning in the dark like a loon, feeling carefree and proud of the rides I've done this year.  More importantly a feeling of anticipation for next year (two years ago, I made the mistake of pushing on in similar circumstances and come the change of season took around 6 months off the bike).  In other words, my audax season is now in care and maintainance mode.  Two more 200s and Martin's 100   before it all kicks off again in November/December :)

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 27 September, 2008, 11:26:28 am »
to prove what a good sense of humour EL S has  :)

« Reply #34 on: 14 October, 2008, 11:34:23 pm »
slightly off topic, but would the stollen and mince pie run in december be more forgiving in the hilly department or does Dave expect folks to working off all that sugar and fat?

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2008, 01:34:58 am »
lol. i have put on a couple of pounds...

so long as it doesn't go through crundale, sounds like nowhere near.

Martin

« Reply #36 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:11:21 am »
so who's up for an El SR?
(keeps hand down)

I'm doing his 200(x2)/300; will come and laugh and point help on the 600

Rob

« Reply #37 on: 06 March, 2009, 08:34:00 am »
so who's up for an El SR?
(keeps hand down)

I'm doing his 200/300; will come and laugh and point help on the 600

Doing the 300 & 600 this year.   Haven't got chance for a 400 'til June, though, so will need to make the jump between distances.

frere yacker

« Reply #38 on: 06 March, 2009, 09:20:57 am »
I suspect the only ride I will do is the 170km Sportive in early April.  Essentially because it is the only one of his rides with AAA points that doesn't clash with another event I have pencilled in.

Will return to his longer (I was going to say proper) audax distance rides (both calendar and permanent) next year.

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 06 March, 2009, 11:09:54 am »
I suspect the only ride I will do is the 170km Sportive in early April. 

I'm pretending I haven't entered that one  :o

Tiger

« Reply #40 on: 06 March, 2009, 11:56:59 am »
I did a bunch of his rides in 2007 and reckon his organisation and route planning is tops. I woudkl do more if hailsham was not such a bastard to get to/from at ride times. As for food etc - nobody else sets out a table in a layby with stuff better.  And his pre-order WoW cafe system is spot on for fast food.

« Reply #41 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »
to prove what a good sense of humour EL S has  :)

Excellent, only just noticed this!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #42 on: 06 March, 2009, 12:29:44 pm »
I did a bunch of his rides in 2007 and reckon his organisation and route planning is tops. I woudkl do more if hailsham was not such a bastard to get to/from at ride times. As for food etc - nobody else sets out a table in a layby with stuff better.  And his pre-order WoW cafe system is spot on for fast food.

unless you have a large saddlebag BobYak trailer it's actually cheaper to enter one of Dave's events than just go out and do your own ride.

Anyone know where the feed stops on his 600 are? I'm not required at the finish as it's a post card job.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:30:29 pm »

Indeed - in fact you warned me against entering the 170 km Super Sportive on a previous post.

Specifically:

You might want to give the April Super Sportive a miss unless you are a superman

I'm almost certainly not so will probably enter as a mere mortal and struggle.

:)

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »

Indeed - in fact you warned me against entering the 170 km Super Sportive on a previous post.

Specifically:

You might want to give the April Super Sportive a miss unless you are a superman

I'm almost certainly not so will probably enter as a mere mortal and struggle.

:)
I'm certainly not planning to do it on a compact like last summer's; or on the bitser which I'm also hoping to do a GdS on this year

« Reply #45 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:04:32 pm »
Hi, lined up for the Hailsham Venta 300 and travelling down with family (4 in total) for a long weekend... I ride, they visit Brighton/Battle etc.

Any accomodation advice/recommendations/bewares welcome

Craig

Martin

« Reply #46 on: 09 March, 2009, 11:19:53 pm »
Hi, lined up for the Hailsham Venta 300 and travelling down with family (4 in total) for a long weekend... I ride, they visit Brighton/Battle etc.

Any accomodation advice/recommendations/bewares welcome

Craig

Hailsham Travelodge is a favourite

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
Re: El Supremo events for 2009 - El's 400 Perm Ride Report
« Reply #47 on: 28 July, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »
Having had the route sheet for some time now I decided to bite the bullet and ride this one. I work Saturday evenings so the 2.00 am start (avoiding traffic) as suggested by the man himself didn't appeal, both on comfort and safety grounds (lack of sleep). As it was I managed a magnificent four hours of scrappy sleep after watching the days Tour de France highlights and finishing my prep. So, Pease Pottage at just before 7.00 am Sunday Morning for the start. A few colleagues at work had expressed interest in my plans (The usual, How far? Where to? ... on a bike?) so a photo on facebook and off I went. (This also has the advantage that Mrs C can track my progress and not worry)
Heart Rate stuff:
After the previous weeks Ide Hill Grimpeur (recommended) I had been out midweek to test my Max HR on a suitable Hill. There are plenty near me but I went for Boxley Hill just North of Maidstone. It lurks on El Supremo's  Medway Meander Perm between Boxley and Bredhurst and has been described as 'Entertaining' I rode as close to the limit with out getting off as I could etc etc. i didn't really consider the process a great deal until seeing Bradley Wiggins (chapeau!) dropping off the front group on a big climb. "He's blown" said one commentator. "No, he's just pullling back out of his red zone to recover" said another (something to that effect anyway). An idea evolved. I've never really bothered with the HR beyond seeing what happens on a trainer and certainly not on an Audax ride, but I do have a tendency to push too hard and then sag badly so instead of riding to speed I rode to HR zone. Using a Garmin 705 (NOT for navigation- ahem!), this was easy. The zones show as numbers ie Zone 3 would be 3.0 3.1 3.2 etc. I got up to 5.6 on Boxley Hill in my red zone but the 'Burn' starts at around 4.3. The plan was to ride somewhere in the high 3's and in a gear that gave roughly 80 r.p.m. (I have tried 90 but can't sustain it through the day) Enough of that for now.
The ride:
The run down to Chichester was pretty straighforward  and quiet traffic-wise so no real problems, apart from mis-counting the MRABS in Storrington. I realised almost straight away and the next Left put me back on track. My perspex route sheet holder disintegrated just before Eartham. Thus ruined, I resorted to keeping the laminated sections in my back pocket. Not really a problem but alternative arrangements will have to be made in future as remembering two or three instructions at a time can lead to mixups!. I Arrived at the Sainsbury's checkpoint just as they opened and settled down to breakfast. So far so good. The HR caper was working well and I allowed myself to go just into the 4 zone on climbs but no further than 4.3. Sit down take it easy etc.
I had also set the Garmin to show calories and had something to eat (mouthful of energy bar etc) every 500 calories. this was all rule of thumb (sorry girls) but it was working.
Stage two was the first visit to Sutton Scotney with some nice lanes. I got my knickers in a twist near Clanfield when a roundabout appeared  unexpectedly in the road. It was marked on the route sheet but i was already on the next line and looking for a crossroads! Fortunately, the inclusion of a pub name in a later instruction produced a suitable "That Way!" from a local. They don't know the road names but they know where the pubs are! Onwards. Another food break at the Texaco garage at Sutton Scotney (now has a 24hr ATM outside)
On to Leigh Delamere the longest leg at 89k. The weather was gradually closing in. Cool enough for arm warmers and a gilet but not so bad and the lively SW wind was more a help than a hindrance. Once again some familiar bits from other rides, including the delightful (!) climb out of Marlborough. The rain did start to appear on this section, though I can't remember where and It wasn't bad enough for rainwear until just before Leigh Delamere so I put up with it until the stop. At this point I felt pretty good and was not sure if I had been moving quickly enough but the Garmin informed me that I had averaged (including stops) 20k.p.h. That'll do me!
By now, the heavens had opened and I was never so pleased to see a motorway service station. I say this, after a lifetime of such places in the middle of the night on the way home from work, usually with terrible food.  More than half way and in good time, I sat down to fish and chips. When it arrived at the table I didn't like the look of the batter but, it  was truly excellent and really hit the spot. The mushy peas had entertainment value on way back, too!
I wasn't in a massive hurry to leave as the rain had set in, but an hour is quite enough so I suited up in Rainlegs and an Oxygen, top shoe covers, cap under my bash hat to which I had added my headlamp for later. It was still light but the prospect of fiddling with the elastic straps in the rain wasn't pleasant. In Chippenham, there was a choice of through the town centre or around the Ring Road. The former had a short walking section (cycling prohibited 9.30-7.30pm) but clever timing had me there just after 7.30. Not so clever navigation of the RABS found me on the Ring Road... Doh! Anyway, deja vu set in here as it must have been at a similar time of day with similar weather conditions to that of the Midhurst 600 last year, that I climbed the knee cruncher towards Bishops' Canning and on through Pewsey. I can only guess that the scenery looks beautiful in bright sunshine having not seen it other than through rain streaked glasses! Night set in and the pace steadied, if only for safety's sake . I was still feeling fine and in spite of the rain was enjoying myself. I quite like riding in the dark. At Sutton Scotney, the Texaco was closed but the alternative of the A34 services was available around the corner. This was a bit disappointing as the eateries were all locked up effectively leaving just a petrol station with nowhere to sit down. Next time I will carry food from Leigh Delaware and use the ATM at the Texaco. I must have been tired by now as I hung about for 40 mins. faffing with stuff and changing my sock for dry ones.
The next Leg to Midhurst was uneventful though I did notice I was having difficulty getting up into Zone 3. OK, i was travelling slower but it meant i could take more uphill dashes with out blowing. Answers on a postcard!
Midhurst was closed as well, so another ATM and a Bakewell Tart which I had carried from Sutton Scotney. Shorter, sensible break this time and on to the last bash.
A fairly familar route this section with the long drag up to Pease Pottage looming ever larger. It didn't help that the magic figure of 24hrs was going to be missed by minutes (7 actually) but the arrivee felt good anyway. It was also nice to see my car was still there just around the corner from the last checkpoint for a 7 o'clock finish. One last photo for facebook (I do wonder what everybody thought given that most of the photos were of petrol stations!)  a change of clothing and home to bed.

410km, 24h 7mins, 3010m climbing, 13,800 calories. A really good ride (apart from the weather- but that was anticipated) and a different way (for) me of regulating myself. Another valuable spin-off from this was that I didn't suffer dead foot at any time, probably due to not 'forcing it'. That was a first!

Recommended!

Andy T-V   
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #48 on: 29 July, 2009, 09:28:46 am »
The 400 perm is very much a ride one has to be in the mood for and which I suspect would benefit from company.

When I tried it as a solo ride 10 months ago, I got bored after around 100km, plodded on for a bit and then decided to jump on the train back home.  It was just too tempting when the sun was setting and the prospect of a lonely, cold night didn't appeal (part of the problem being I decided to start from PP at noon, the idea being I'd be rested).

What I rode was pleasant enough, albeit very familiar from other elS rides.

PS: Is there any news of elS events in 2010?  I couldn't see mention of them in the event planner on the AUK site.

AJB

« Reply #49 on: 29 July, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »
I was planning on giving the 400 a go this coming weekend (Saturday 1st August 2009) . The write up was timely, and since I nearly always end up riding towards the back alone, no different to normal.

With regards to El's 2010 events, he sent me the following dates when I mentioned I was intending to complete his SR series next year:

7th March 2010 Uppertea 200at 07:30
17th April 2010 Hailsham (Venta) 300 at 03:00
8th March 2010 Hailsham 400 at 09:00
22nd March 2010 Midhurst 600 at 06:00

Anton