Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 68304 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Or they're burning the bodies...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I think I've just seen two flashes of lightning out of my office window, but not heard any thunder.  Is that possible?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Sure, if it's far enough away and the wind is in the "wrong" direction.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

it was pretty close from the brightness of the flash, wind away from me though

it was pretty close from the brightness of the flash, wind away from me though

Warning Geekfest.
(click to show/hide)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
When lightning struck our next-door-but-one neighbours, it just went BANG!, no rumble.

Lady H at #35 was on the phone and gotta jolt.

We lived ar #31.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
I've been within 'fucking hell that was close' distance of a lightning strike twice.  On both occasions it was just a BANG!, though there was a sufficiency of rumbling from other events in the run-up to it.

I've also been within 'you haven't got a pacemaker or anything?' distance of TEH BIG SPARKS in what was then UMIST's high voltage lab.  An almighty CRACK! is a fair description, enhanced by the whole thing taking place in a building optimised for earthing and the manoeuvring of large pieces of hardware, rather than pleasant acoustics.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

ElyDave

I've been "fuck that was close" as it hit the telegraph pole at the bottom of the garden path. It was definitely loud

"oh shit that fried the TV"

Phone line was also welded into the socket and it took BT 2 days to sort the village out

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
I can remember hearing the cast-iron radiators & pipes in our old school building clicking with the EMP from a nearby flash.
Où sont les merguez d'antan ?

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Lightning struck the ground right next to me as a youthful BMXer. It wasn't nearly the most dangerous thing that happened to me on that bike. It made me fall off (like I needed the help) and lie there in the road until I could see anything other than the colour neon purple and my head stopped ringing. I expected there to be a huge crater but there was just a disappointing 2p piece-sized area of perfectly melted tarmac.
!nataS pihsroW

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.