Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011  (Read 178278 times)

border-rider

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011
« Reply #50 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:28:26 pm »
You are confusing the BCM with the BC400 where you foolishly decided hour after hour in the pissing rain was a good idea.

Really ?

the night section of the 2010 BC

simonp

« Reply #51 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »
You are confusing the BCM with the BC400 where you foolishly decided hour after hour in the pissing rain was a good idea.

Chest infection, my arse!

I enjoyed that, perversely.  Apart from setting off from the overnight control into a cold damp windy descent.  The shimmy was my shivering.

simonp

« Reply #52 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:30:59 pm »
sleet

2009 was so hard core. And I missed it!
Yeah well ... the night section of the 2010 BC was pretty horrific, so I'm perfectly happy that I missed 2009's BCM!

It was just a bit wet & windy.  Shurely LEL toughened you up?

« Reply #53 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »

Nope, I really did have a chest infection, but even if I hadn't I'm not sure I would have ridden the whole thing knowing what the weather forecast was because for me Audax is about fun.  

I don't feel I have anything to prove to anybody. YMMV
 ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »
It was sufficiently wet-n-windy that Simon was forced to ride away from me an hour from Bwlch, claiming a need to warm up.

Suggestions welcome as to what he proved ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #55 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »

Nope, I really did have a chest infection, but even if I hadn't I'm not sure I would have ridden the whole thing knowing what the weather forecast was because for me Audax is about fun.  

;)

Well, I *could* have ridden back to Chepstow then waited til Sunday for my train.  It never occurred to me to do that, and I didn't really pay much attention to the forecast, as I figured it couldn't be as bad as the Border Raid '08 (which was the last event I packed on due to wind & rain).

simonp

« Reply #56 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:45:54 pm »
It was sufficiently wet-n-windy that Simon was forced to ride away from me an hour from Bwlch, claiming a need to warm up.

I proved I can ride past the control without seeing it.

« Reply #57 on: 01 February, 2011, 05:54:53 pm »

What I am looking forward to is attempting 60 mph on the A470 descent early sunday morning. 8)

I'm shit scared of that descent following my near-death experience in 2004.  I brake like a wuss down there now.

Last time I went down there (Mille Cymru) the bike did a death shimmy as I topped 70kph.

As MattH says, that is exactly my scenario (my downtube sheared off a month later so I imagine it had started to fail)

at one point (because the sleet had made my brakes almost redundant) I was making decisions about whether the dry-stone wall to the left, or the drop over the edge on the right, would provide the "softest" landing

I did the same thing. That descent was one of the highlights of last year but there were 2 cars coming up in the opposite direction and I was praying that one wouldn't overtake the other. Figured the safest option might be to go between them if it did   

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:36:08 pm »

Nope, I really did have a chest infection, but even if I hadn't I'm not sure I would have ridden the whole thing knowing what the weather forecast was because for me Audax is about fun
 ;)

You've clearly misread something in the Handbook.  One of us has, that's for sure.

« Reply #59 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »

It wasn't the cold that forced him to ride away  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #60 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:50:26 pm »

Was he using your specially prepared GPX file?
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #61 on: 01 February, 2011, 06:54:15 pm »

At the time, matt was more tired than me.  I could have waited, but I wanted to push on.  That's all there was to it.

« Reply #62 on: 03 February, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
Entry posted on Monday, routesheet returned yesterday. Top quality service from Mr. Sheep.

« Reply #63 on: 03 February, 2011, 01:52:24 pm »

At the time, matt was more tired than me.  I could have waited, but I wanted to push on.  That's all there was to it.

Long-distance riding can be a cruel business.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #64 on: 03 February, 2011, 02:08:55 pm »
sleet

2009 was so hard core. And I missed it!

It wasn't so bad.  It wasn't the worst I've done and I've only been riding it since 2005

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #65 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:46:59 pm »
When I first rode the BCM (or its prececesor) in 1989 (which was very hot), I was told that it always rains a lot in PBP years, and indeed 1991 was very wet. I'm not sure if it holds true for subsequent years. The only one which really stands out for
hard core
weather was 2002 when only 20 or so finished.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

border-rider

« Reply #66 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:50:36 pm »
When I first rode the BCM (or its prececesor) in 1989 (which was very hot), I was told that it always rains a lot in PBP years, and indeed 1991 was very wet. I'm not sure if it holds true for subsequent years. The only one which really stands out for
hard core
weather was 2002 when only 20 or so finished.

+1 to 2002.  That's the second worst ride I've ever suffered.

2007 was decent weather, as I recall, and I think 2003 was reasonable too.

« Reply #67 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »
2007 was wet for the first morning, that's about it. Sunny to finish.

DanialW

« Reply #68 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:07:40 pm »
2007 had a glorious second day, IIRC. Leaving Dolgellau early morning, I passed Ian H nattering to someone as they rode up the long climb.

Ian H: "Having fun?"
Me: "no"

And then I pedalled off, thinking to myself  "why did I just say that? This is actually rather brilliant." Later that day I rode with someone, who shall remain nameless, whose thin, grey lycra betrayed a red devil tattoo on their arse.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #69 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:05:35 pm »
a red devil tattoo on their arse
Another post that is useless without photos
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #70 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »
.................., and I think 2003 was reasonable too.

???, I must have been on a differant ride to MV.

It was raining at the start, and I recorded just over 400km of the ride in rain.

The weather on All the PBP qualifiers I rode in 2003 was fairly dire in one way or another.

Folk being blown-off their bikes on the Chelenham Flyer, The Heart of England was a very cold NE wind, which veered in the afternoon - so no payback. Reading 400 - into a monster head-wind all the way from Badby to Sutton Scotney, Brevet Cymru - riding in a constant tornado from Builth onwards, BC600 very soggy then high winds on the Sunday (yes they were south westerlies) But thanks to the organisers for puuting them on.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

border-rider

« Reply #71 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:44:11 pm »

???, I must have been on a differant ride to MV.

maybe it just felt fine compared to 2002 :)

« Reply #72 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »
The Bryan Chapman Scenic will probably not happen in 2012,

The same goes for my 300 in July 2012 - Mr Pickwick's tour of the Cotswolds.

There's usually about 15 to 20 finishers for each event - not enough to justify the initial registration.

Margins on the weekend's activiities aren't that great, and every BlackSheep event has to pay it's own way.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #73 on: 18 February, 2011, 02:21:53 pm »
Anyone already booked a room at the severn view travel lodge ?
I just checked and it is up to £42 already
If you want to get another person to share, PM me

« Reply #74 on: 18 February, 2011, 02:56:10 pm »
Booked months ago, before even getting round to entering the ride and it was £30 even then. I suspect that Travelodge is now checking the AUK calendar.

I would offer use of the other bed but I don't want to.