Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011  (Read 178547 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2011
« Reply #500 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:25:49 am »

but are we really saying that the open carriageway is so narrow, with no escape outlet,
YES

Umm..I'll be looking to cadge a lift in a caravan then or something.
Would this disqualify me from PBP?  :)
[Please say 'YES']
Garry Broad

« Reply #501 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:40:16 am »
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #502 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:41:35 am »
making the whole ride 640km.

I'll take my chances, I think.

So this 600k qualifier that was actually 619k has become 640k? I'll take my chances too, and hope I can get the bike on to the bit reserved for workmen and guess it's a Saturday so they won't be there. What does the team think?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #503 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:50:30 am »
Is the concrete barrier wide enough to ride along the top of it,stunt stylee? :demon: ;D

LEE

« Reply #504 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:52:16 am »
Is the concrete barrier wide enough to ride along the top of it,stunt stylee? :demon: ;D

Is it possible to ride on the construction-worker side of the barrier?

« Reply #505 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:55:34 am »
Is it possible that we're all adults, doing this out of choice, and although Blacksheep has to be seen to risk assess such things, we might actually manage to make a decision for ourselves when we get there?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #506 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:58:23 am »

It went that way the first time I did it.

I was going to make a humourously-intended comment containing phrases such as.....
route sheets in latin
carved in heiroglyphics
proper RomanRoadRoute
when God was a boy

but thought better of it due to....
respect due (I've seen the vid. of you going down Llanberis Pass on fixed  :o)
I remembered that I'm older than you
 ;)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #507 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:02:41 am »
Umm..I'll be looking to cadge a lift in a caravan then or something.

Draft it, maybe, after first mebbe having a word to the driver to take it real slow...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #508 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:03:21 am »
Is it possible that we're all adults, doing this out of choice, and although Blacksheep has to be seen to risk assess such things, we might actually manage to make a decision for ourselves when we get there?

+++++ :thumbsup:

BUT

we will have ridden some distance from Mac when we encounter these roadworks so to turn back and re-route at that point would be to add even more to the route.  The decision has to be taken at Mac.  I'm leaning towards the coast road given that I recall traffic on the 470 being pretty unfriendly as it was last year.

Extra thanks to Mark and Richie for riding the route and being able to offer this advice though.  Imagine if we had simply got there and encountered the roadworks in ignorance!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #509 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:12:42 am »
  Imagine if we had simply got there and encountered the roadworks in ignorance!

this occurred to me on one occassion & I did this....

Is it possible to ride on the construction-worker side of the barrier?

with the co-operation of the workers,on a the long long climb out of Chesterfield en route to Bakewell

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #510 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:17:35 am »
Yes we did manage to pass relatively easily, it was a week day, the lorry driver was using his brains - we both gave each other respect, and hey presto - no problem. The same ocured for Ritchie Tout the following day. On Saturday, you will have to face the wrath of on-coming traffic - much of it (like your selves) recreational. They tend to have a differing mindset.

This is tricksy. Lottsa scope to piss other traffic off in both directions because if the road is narrow nothhing bigger than a mini is going to be passing me whilst I'm climbing. One the one hand I'm pretty thick skinned on the other happy to step now and then to let traffic pass, but that assumes there is somewhere to step aside to, which Mark suggests not. Maybe a good idea to buddy up on this stretch for mutual support and reduce impact on other traffic.

How long is the longest stretch of single lane road, Mark?

Chris N

« Reply #511 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:21:58 am »
Just ride it and stop being such pansies.  It'll give you a good excuse not to hang about on the climb.  If it really bothers you, turn right in Corris and follow NCN 8 north to Cross Foxes.

Photo of roadworks here: Roadworks on the A487:: OS grid SH7513 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #512 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:24:36 am »
i've already compiled my gps track and won't be changing it; as long as controls are in the same place i should get there one way or another. forecast looks quite good, few short showers. i'll be packing my stuff and getting on the train to bristol this evening. see you at the start and on the ride!

LEE

« Reply #513 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:36:16 am »
Just ride it and stop being such pansies.  It'll give you a good excuse not to hang about on the climb.  If it really bothers you, turn right in Corris and follow NCN 8 north to Cross Foxes.

Photo of roadworks here: Roadworks on the A487:: OS grid SH7513 :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!
That photo tells me it's easy enough to hop over the barrier and cycle and/or walk if needed.

Thanks.

Walking it will be preferable to an hour diversion around the coast in my opinion.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #514 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:36:34 am »
Photo of roadworks here
And there even appears to be a Portaloo for the use of passing cyclists.......
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #515 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:41:31 am »
Just ride it and stop being such pansies.  It'll give you a good excuse not to hang about on the climb.  If it really bothers you, turn right in Corris and follow NCN 8 north to Cross Foxes.

That photo tells me it's easy enough to hop over the barrier and cycle and/or walk if needed.

Unless the road the other side of the barrier has been dug up since that photo, that'd make cycling or pushing a bike along it tricky.

Just let all of the cars go infront of you and then set off behind them in the middle of the road. When you encounter cars coming the other way (which you surely will) pull over to the grassy bank and let them all pass. Continue cycling until the cars/trucks/lorries come up behind you again. Pull over and let them all pass. Lather, rinse and repeat until you're through the roadworks. It's not tricky, avoids having to deal with stupid overtakes, is courteous to the other road users and maximises your safety.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #516 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:44:52 am »
3. there’s been chat on this thread about drop bag facilities at Dolgellau (Kings YHA presumably). Is this official or is it a rumour/assumption/guess? I can’t find any mention of it in the information e-mail.

Sorry to be a wuss - my first attempt at this one, so I have no previous knowledge to fall back on!

From the Calendar page, facilities:

BD C F L P R S T Z (4/5)
Parking free or reasonably priced, at start
Camping at or near start
Toilets at the start
Left luggage secure(ish) at the start
Refreshments free or reasonably priced, at start and/or finish
Food some free food and/or drink provided on the ride
Bag Drop facilities en route
Sleeping facilities en route
Showers

« Reply #517 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:45:37 am »
Just let all of the cars go infront of you and then set off behind them in the middle of the road. When you encounter cars coming the other way (which you surely will) pull over to the grassy bank and let them all pass. Continue cycling until the cars/trucks/lorries come up behind you again. Pull over and let them all pass. Lather, rinse and repeat until you're through the roadworks. It's not tricky, avoids having to deal with stupid overtakes, is courteous to the other road users and maximises your safety.

That's what I was thinking. Just ride up there and see how it is on the day. It looks as if the bank on the right hand side (as you climb) is going to be reasonably accessible, though there is a barrier at one point in the photo.

Obviously the ideal will be if a tractor or underpowered car/caravan is there that you can tuck in behind  :)

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #518 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:47:09 am »
PS - anyone planning to dine at The Boar's Head in Aust at about 6 tomorrow?

probably won't get there til about 19:00 ish

LEE

« Reply #519 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:48:22 am »
3. there’s been chat on this thread about drop bag facilities at Dolgellau (Kings YHA presumably). Is this official or is it a rumour/assumption/guess? I can’t find any mention of it in the information e-mail.

Sorry to be a wuss - my first attempt at this one, so I have no previous knowledge to fall back on!

From the Calendar page, facilities:

BD C F L P R S T Z (4/5)
Parking free or reasonably priced, at start
Camping at or near start
Toilets at the start
Left luggage secure(ish) at the start
Refreshments free or reasonably priced, at start and/or finish
Food some free food and/or drink provided on the ride
Bag Drop facilities en route
Sleeping facilities en route
Showers

PloddinPedro

Simply fill a day-glo bag with lots of Cake and write "This bag is full of Cake" on the side.  Hand it to Mark at the start and ask that he leave it in a very prominent position at Kings.  Now simply arrive at Kings an hour after me.

simonp

« Reply #520 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:48:47 am »
PS - anyone planning to dine at The Boar's Head in Aust at about 6 tomorrow?

probably won't get there til about 19:00 ish

I’ll be there at some point.  Perhaps 6-7ish.

« Reply #521 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:51:46 am »
This year will be the first time I've driven to this - how are the Travelodge now about you leaving a car there on the Saturday night? (I have Friday and Sunday booked).

« Reply #522 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:53:45 am »

PloddinPedro

Simply fill a day-glo bag with lots of Cake and write "This bag is full of Cake" on the side.  Hand it to Mark at the start and ask that he leave it in a very prominent position at Kings.  Now simply arrive at Kings an hour after me.

The problem with your plan is this:

You may not be so lucky this year. I'll be helping at Dolgellau. I suggest you get a move on going to the bridge and back, lest I start getting the munchies and instead of helping feed you lot, I help myself to all of your food.

You have been warned. ;)

« Reply #523 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:54:27 am »
How are you today Jasmine? Are you riding?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #524 on: 13 May, 2011, 11:07:52 am »
This year will be the first time I've driven to this - how are the Travelodge now about you leaving a car there on the Saturday night? (I have Friday and Sunday booked).

They're fine.  it's a huge car park.  But they won't look after bags for you overnight :-(.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?