Author Topic: Clarkson on Top Gear  (Read 48628 times)

Clandy

Re: Clarkson on Top Gear
« Reply #25 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »
He is better just being ignored ,complaining just panders to his ego.

Complaining will eventually get results, saying nothing won't.

« Reply #26 on: 06 February, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »
Ever heard of satire, Clandy? It's self-parody.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #27 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:12:27 pm »
No, I think we SHOULD complain. However, I have submitted a complaint against the BBC for wasting my license fee.....  ;)

"It is negligent and offensive for the BBC to allow Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear to encourage drivers to "cut up" and act aggressively toward cyclists on our roads as he appeared to do in this evening's program. This is not the first time that the BBC has allowed Mr Clarkson to has voice his vendetta against cyclists and it is wholly unacceptable.
It is also unacceptable and negligent for the BBC to propagate the misinformation and falsehood that paying "Road Tax" (which was abolished in 1936) gives motorists the "right" to drive on our roads. Cyclists do have that right (along with certain other classes of vehicle, eg horse drawn vehicles) to be on our roads under law. Motor vehicles are allowed on the roads under license only. As part of this license, drivers are required to obey the law (as embodied in the Highway Code - a large section of which lists their responsibilities toward vulnerable road users), a point totally ignored, both in spirit and in fact, by Mr Clarkson and the Top Gear program.
I object most strongly to the BBC wasting my license fee on encouraging irresponsible and dangerous driving and on propagating misinformation."

I am not holding my breath....

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »
why does Clarkson look so strange?

because his head's gone so far up his arse it's come out the other end

« Reply #29 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:21:07 pm »
He did once try to beat the crap out of Piers Morgan, so he's not all bad.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #30 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
Ever heard of satire, Clandy? It's self-parody.

+1

And it will make the petrolhead all paranoid about being videoed.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #31 on: 06 February, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
� Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates accomplishments, talents, skills, contacts, and personality traits to the point of lying, demands to be recognised as superior without commensurate achievements);

� Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequalled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion;

� Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions);

� Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation - or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (Narcissistic Supply);

� Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favourable priority treatment; � Is "interpersonally exploitative", i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends;

� Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or accept the feelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others;

� Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly;

� Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law", and omnipresent (magical thinking). Rages when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted by people he or she considers inferior to him or her and unworthy.

Sound familiar?

Nightfly

« Reply #33 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:01:48 pm »
What about organising a critical mass to Clarkson's place in Wiltshire? He has plenty of space. A few thousand cyclists turning up may give him something to think about. There's a Tornado or F16 jet on his front lawn or there was. What a tool.

Clandy

« Reply #34 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:13:01 pm »
What about organising a critical mass to Clarkson's place in Wiltshire? He has plenty of space. A few thousand cyclists turning up may give him something to think about. There's a Tornado or F16 jet on his front lawn or there was. What a tool.

Last I heard he lived just outside Chipping Norton. His house is marked on Google Earth.

Nightfly

« Reply #35 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:20:08 pm »
I'm a huge fan of Top Gear. But this time I've had enough | Steve Coogan | Television & radio | The Observer

Coogan's Bluff  ::-). He's setting himself up for a job as presenter when the three twits get sacked. Coogan knows a thing or two about cars. I would start watching TG if Steve Coogan and Chris Barry started presenting it which would mean I would have to buy a TV license as I don't watch TV any more as it is all sh1t as demonstrated by this bigoted crap show.

Nightfly

« Reply #36 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »

Last I heard he lived just outside Chipping Norton. His house is marked on Google Earth.

Well where ever it is. He is such a huge ar$e you could not fail to find him.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #37 on: 06 February, 2011, 11:57:52 pm »
I didn't see it, but...

Complaint submitted:

During Top Gear on iPlayer today Jeremy Clarkson stated that cyclists deserve to be 'cut up' by motorists on Britain's roads, or words to that effect

... so did he say "cyclists deserve to be 'cut up' by motorists on Britain's roads" or did he say something else?

Why do you write the "words to that effect" bit?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Clandy

« Reply #38 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:05:45 am »
I didn't see it, but...

Complaint submitted:

During Top Gear on iPlayer today Jeremy Clarkson stated that cyclists deserve to be 'cut up' by motorists on Britain's roads, or words to that effect

... so did he say "cyclists deserve to be 'cut up' by motorists on Britain's roads" or did he say something else?

Why do you write the "words to that effect" bit?

Because I didn't have the transcript of the programme to hand. Why don't you look and listen for yourself, the link has been posted.

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #39 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:12:14 am »
Hammond was talking about cyclists wearing cameras on their helmets "to video examples of road rage and people cutting them up on their [the cyclists'] bikes"
Then Clarkson said: "But cyclists deserve it"

...followed by more ant-cyclist, anti-French bullshit.
Then the old "who pays road tax?" chestnut.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #40 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:34:51 am »
Curiously I tweeted this earlier today:

"Stewart Lee nailed the Top Gear mentality with this: http://bit.ly/hskxF8"

« Reply #41 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:39:44 am »
They should bring back the Top Gear presenting team of William Woollard and Noel Edmonds

Furious

• Pedal Head
    • Rijidij.net
« Reply #42 on: 07 February, 2011, 12:50:48 am »
Steve Coogan was spot-on with his piece in the observer too.
Especially the bit about the bullies.

I suspect Hammond was only scripted to mention cyclists' cameras so that Clarkson could spout his drivel.
Wer sein Fahrrad liebt, der schiebt.
He who loves his bike, will push it.

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #43 on: 07 February, 2011, 08:50:12 am »
Letter of complaint sent today... I couldn't just let a public statement by someone who's salary I contribute to to go unchallenged.

Dear Sir,

This is a letter of complaint regarding Top Gear, 6th February 2011 and the comments made by Jeremy Clarkson about cyclists “deserving it” during the news section of the programme.
Jeremy Clarkson appears to be a well educated gentleman and probably understands the difference between an irreverent comment and incitement to hatred, however Jeremy may not be aware that for many people he is a thought leader and his comments help shape public opinion.

Within the show on the 6th February Jeremy countered one of Richard Hammond’s lines about cyclists using video cameras to record examples of road rage with “cyclists deserve it”.  Whether this is funny or not can be set to one side, Jeremy validates the views of those who believe that cyclists do indeed deserve to be victims of road rage.

To prove the point that cyclists deserve it, Jeremy then shared some arguments on the subject; a cyclist scratched his car once and cyclists don’t pay road tax.

Possessions and emotions can lead to some strange behaviour, you can see owners of new cars park at the farthest reaches of the supermarket car park to avoid their new car being scratched, or taking up two car parking spaces so someone doesn’t park too close.  Anger at damage to personal belongings flares up quickly and can lead to hot blooded responses which are later regretted.  In matters of road rage the car itself is often used as a weapon to threaten or hurt others.

The view that a cyclist “deserves it” and “he scratched my car” are inflamed further if the cyclist shouldn’t have even been on the road in the first place (because he doesn’t pay road tax).  It doesn’t take much to see that cyclists should be run off the road as they are obviously a menace to society.  Obviously the statement that “cyclists don’t pay road tax” is flawed on every level and I’m sure Jeremy knows this.  If he doesn’t then the legal team at the BBC ought to correct him.

Jeremy has validated factually incorrect statements about the rights of cyclists to even be on the road and has given justification to less well educated people in using their car to hurt vulnerable road users.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Rapples

« Reply #44 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
Given my age, I will probably be around to see Clarkson's demise, although I expect it will be related to his beer gut and general lifestyle rather than a hideous accident involving a Bugatti Veyron.  Oh well.

Yes, it's a shame for James May to die first in that way, and in a Bentley.  He was always such a careful driver :'(

« Reply #45 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:28:00 am »
If I'd have known what he would come out with the day before - I wouldn't have been so genial as he drove past the cafe in Chipping Norton in his noisy flash Merc....(upon leaving said establishment to fight the wind back to Tewkesbury on Mr. Pickwick Takes flight..) >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:31:40 am »
Jeremy Clarkson appears to be a well educated gentleman

Factual corrections:

1.  Clarkson is no gentleman

2.  He's not well-educated; he went to Repton.
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #47 on: 07 February, 2011, 10:28:35 am »

I actually think that's a very good idea, with some suitable banners. Need to make sure it appears on TV though. The theme could be to protest about his comments, rather than actually getting him sacked. And of course impeccable conduct by the riders will be required.

and btw you'll need good directions, the jet (actually a BAC Lightning) was removed after complaints from the neighbours

Clandy

« Reply #48 on: 07 February, 2011, 10:37:29 am »

« Reply #49 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:22:05 am »
I still think he's more of an Alf Garnett figure. He cycles round his village etc. No one would pay him to write articles or appear on TV if he was sensible.