Linked Events

• York or therebouts-ish ride: 12 March, 2011

Author Topic: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!  (Read 39392 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
We did have a conversation when we paused for a 'Catrike+Valencia at the Givendale sign' photo-opportunity

about what would happen if Arch's cunning molished-from-velcro handbrake went wrong before she got clipped in and ready to set off and she essayed a descent of Givendale Lane backwards, using the view afforded by one small rear view mirror.  The sign isn't actually quite at the top of the optical illusion you see, but it's a good excuse to stop :)

I did offer to go and stand slightly downhill and catch them if the hill start went wrong!

By the way, did we mention the scones?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
That reminds me ...
If my bar-bag turns up in time, I'll be taking my 'proper' camera with me :)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
By the way, did we mention the scones?
With, in the foreground, what looks like a big gravy boat to dunk them in... ;D
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I now have some train tickets.  Rather a lot of them:

(don't worry, half of those are for the Hilly 50)

Had a somewhat extensive chat about middle ear problems and motorcycle touring with the ticket office man while that lot printed out.

I also note that London Midland's enter-your-booking-number screen is still invisible to the protanopic.  I may winge at them some more.

Took the scenic route home via 45km of skoggy laney goodness.  Knee still works   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

That is a mighty fine collection of bits of orange cardboard!  And \o/ for still-functional knees.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
  And \o/ for still-functional knees.
+1.

Note how, even though BR is now dead & buried, its double-arrow symbol lives on.  It's even do-able in Ascii Art.

-->-
-<--

Which train company logos can be done like that?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
  And \o/ for still-functional knees.
+1.

Note how, even though BR is now dead & buried, its double-arrow symbol lives on.  It's even do-able in Ascii Art.

-->-
-<--

Which train company logos can be done like that?

Totally random fact time: the 'double arrow' symbol (or the 'arrows of indecision' as they seemed to be known by railwaymen) is still used because it has become a de-facto symbol for all things railway (stations etc.) to folk in the UK, whether or not they actually remember the BR era.

GNER attempted to have all traces of BR branding removed from signs etc. at York station after privatisation but were told to jog on for the very reason stated above. Double arrows=railway (station)

Personally, the only way you'd get me on a train now is under anaesthetic - just because I'm a rail enthusiast doesn't mean I have to travel on the bloody things ;)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
I now have some train tickets.  Rather a lot of them:
[Photo; imp complains he's out of orange.]
(don't worry, half of those are for the Hilly 50)

I hope this isn't evidence of a LOGIC FAIL, but if you're stoking Wow's tandem at Cheam/Morden, how come you need bike reservations?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Insurance against any manner of cockup that may require me to go solo.

It now seems likely that the tandem, if not Wowbagger himself, may not be in attendance, so paranoia FTW.

Any room for an errant Scouser ?  I promise not to nick anyone's wheels (but make no such binding commitments re CL's CakeMountain)   :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

The more the merrier  :)

I do hope I don't get us all lost, mind.....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
The more the merrier  :)

I do hope I don't get us all lost, mind.....
Don't worry - I'll be carrying two forms of GPS1, so if getting lost is on the agenda we might as well make a decent job of it.

1 - 'Regular' Garmin GPS and my home-brewed iPhone app. Plenty of margin for error there I reckon :)

CrinklyLion

Is that because of the risks of crinkly navigation, or the abundance of gps in attendance?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I wonder if there's merit in organising a ride where the objective is to deliberately get as lost-with-the-aid-of-GPS as possible?

Would probably need some sort of geohashing-esque awards system for the various forms of GPS navigation artefacts - being lead onto motorway-class roads; up railway lines; into rivers; across minefields; dubious ferry-based long-cuts; dead-end sustrans paths; infinite loops and so on.  As well as the variety of exciting and unexciting ways that GPS units can fail.

Hmm...

I don't think it's really possible to get lost around there.  You may, of course, see that as a challenge.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
You're just saying that because you hate GPS. 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Ah, so you're bitter because you're a leftie.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
I don't think it's really possible to get lost around there.  You may, of course, see that as a challenge.
Oh it is.
After one particular nagivational facepalm on an Audax up in the Wolds more years ago than I care to remember, I came out of the control at Thixendale cafe to find that some wag had written 'L' and 'R' on the appropriate sides of my route-sheet holder ;D

For some reason, I find the distinction between left and right confusing at times, although admittedly matters have improved since I learned to drive(!)

Ah, so you're bitter because you're a leftie.

That's only cos we have trouble with tin-openers.

CrinklyLion

I can remember in infant school, in Cottingham, not being able to get the correct shoe on the  correct foot so my mum wrote an L on the left shoe and an R on the right shoe. Then I came home and asked if she could write L and R on my feet. Then someone helpfully taught me that "you write with your right".  This was not particularly helpful to (resolutely cack-handed) me.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
I wonder if there's merit in organising a ride where the objective is to deliberately get as lost-with-the-aid-of-GPS as possible?

Would probably need some sort of geohashing-esque awards system for the various forms of GPS navigation artefacts - being lead onto motorway-class roads; up railway lines; into rivers; across minefields; dubious ferry-based long-cuts; dead-end sustrans paths; infinite loops and so on.  As well as the variety of exciting and unexciting ways that GPS units can fail.

Hmm...
Those on the last solstice WARTY will recall the "short cut" that I suggested across fields, over/under electric fences, past cows etc.  The chainrings of the Grasshopper work quite well as a single-track threshing machine.

"It'll be fine, it's marked on the map" isn't always the case.

Tickets bought .  ETA York station 09:35,  and if I don't get back by 18:40 you'll have another houseguest  ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark