Linked Events

• York or therebouts-ish ride: 12 March, 2011

Author Topic: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!  (Read 39409 times)

Re: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting!
« Reply #100 on: 26 February, 2011, 07:29:21 pm »
Is that because of the risks of crinkly navigation, or the abundance of gps in attendance?  ;)
I've had a better1 offer

1 hillier

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: York or therebouts-ish ride 12/3/11 - Lungs and Knees and Weather permitting
« Reply #101 on: 27 February, 2011, 02:06:51 pm »
So that gives us about 8annahalf hours to get round 55ish miles. I hope we don't have to lose the pub stop! :)

I've had a better1 offer

1 hillier

Ah. I'm really not very likely to be able to trump that offer then.  Since the first 20ish miles of this one doesn't require use of the granny ring, even for me, and is spent escaping the flatlands and heading to the nearest optical illusions of any note which we only really skirt the edges of in the next 15ish miles before reverting to crinklyflat normal :)

MsCharly is now seriously considering this. She's a little worried about being able to ride so far - furthest in recent history was under 30miles and she rarely rides more than 3 miles.

Will have to have a fettle at her blue bike; I don't think it's seen tarmac for months.

If we have a Kim attending, does that mean some cake needs to be of the -[wheat] variety? It is just -[wheat] or are other ingredients verboten?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Wheat, what?

While I'm a fussy wossname and eschew fruity nutty things in cake, I have no problem with wheat.   :-\

(I do have all manner of digestive problems exacerbated by greasy or overly acidic foods, but if your cake's greasy or particularly acidic, you're doing it wrong.)

My intention for this ride is to a) (hopefully) get all the way round  and  b) have fun.  I'm not going to even attempt anything heroic, and I don't see it being a particularly fast ride.  There will be knee-resting breaks.  As such, I expect this'll be quite a good ride for the MsCharlys (and Postman Pierses) of this world.  If her bike's okay comfort-wise, I expect she'll be fine.

CrinklyLion

That would be excellent if she did come along :)  I don't anticipate the pace being particularly fast either!  And there's a number of bail out/short cut options if she wanted.

My planned route for the day is about 55 miles in total.  The wiggly way (about 10 miles) to Stamford Bridge where we can have a stop for the public loos, to pop into the shop, maybe eat a little cake.  Then another 5 miles through Fangfoss to Bolton, where we head off to Bishop Wilton to flirt with hills and go the very wiggly way via Millington woods and the cafe there to Pock - about another 20 miles.  If it proved necessary you could cut bits of that 20 miles out, have an independant lunch stop in Pocklington and hook back up with us there for the return leg.  Or, as an emergency option if all else fails, if she gets to Pocklington and decides that she's had enough we can store the bike at my mum's (my sister will be driving through in the week and would prob bring it back) and stick her on a bus back to York!  Although, of course, that might all be a cunning plan to separate her from the prettiest blue bike ever.  Which just happens to be my size....

Sorry, Kim, I thought there'd been a thread where you mentioned denying teh wheat.

Crinkly, this is a bit of a posh ride where you have arranged stops at public loos; I thought the usual arrangement was a close evaluation of nearby hedges.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

His Leggship commented on the FNRttC recce run to Cleethorpes that the quality of cafe stop is critical, and that the provision of loo stops has a profound impact on the number of gurls that will join a ride, and the perceived pleasantness of the ride for said gurls.

So the fair weather+co-operative knee plan is a loo stop in SB after 10 miles, a cafe stop in Millington about 12 miles later, possibly a Tea+Pee stop at a mate's house in Pocklington about 13 miles after that, and then pop into the pub in Warthill about 13 miles after that before the last 6 or so miles back to the Den.

And we may stop elsewhere, for the eating of cake and the playing of Pooh Sticks.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
[...]  the last 6 or so miles back to the Den.
You may wish to inform those of us not In The Know[tm] about the location of said Den, unless there's going to be an alternative meeting point.

My first session at the physio is next week, so barring hell, damnation and/or the Rapture, I plan to be out the following weekend with the Bat Bike.

Simon

I can vouch for the quality of the loo stop in Stamford Bridge, recently refurbed.  Annoying type automatic hand washer, but you can't have everything.... Also, for those purchasing calories at the Coop, the cheese pastry twists are rather good!

I'm sorry not to be able to make this one, but I'd already planned the grand first Mother/Friend-who-happens-to-be-a-boy meeting.

My friend-who-happens-to-be-a-boy is planning to bring his bike over that weekend, in case of a possible Sunday pootle. He seems moderately keen.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Just checked the trains, I will be arriving in York station @ 08:55, so anyone who doesn't know the way to the Crinkly den, and is arriving around that time I shall be more than happy to herd you in the right direction :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Just checked the trains, I will be arriving in York station @ 08:55, so anyone who doesn't know the way to the Crinkly den, and is arriving around that time I shall be more than happy to herd you in the right direction :)
Well if all else fails I'll loiter with intent near the Shell garage at the top of Melrosegate and set off in hot pursuit should any large(ish) group of cyclists pass by. My bike will be easy to recognise - it's black. Its rider will be easy to recognise too - he's a fat bastard :)

Well if all else fails I'll loiter with intent near the Shell garage at the top of Melrosegate and set off in hot pursuit should any large(ish) group of cyclists pass by. My bike will be easy to recognise - it's black. Its rider will be easy to recognise too - he's a fat bastard :)

A good plan, scuppered if CL takes them down the cyclepath... (which I suspect she won't)...

CrinklyLion

I'll send everyone a pm about addresses and phone numbers and stuff. But not tonight because I'm knackered, and went to bed before the kids had even had tea. It would be handy to know who is planning to drive over so I can think about whether I need to think about extra parking. Right, off back to bed!

CrinklyLion

Well, I sent instructions for Den location and my number to (hopefully) everyone.  If I've managed to miss you off, gizza shout!

Thanks, C. 

I think I'll be cycling down to this.  Might even go via the Moors if I'm up early enough.

CrinklyLion

Yer blinking nutter  :)

I'm working on a route to York which is more interesting than the A167-A168-A19, but also less familiar than the lanes route which I'm too-familiar with. 

Darlo-Osmotherley-Hawnby-Wiggy-York is the current plan.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
What sort of time do you plan to finish this ride?  My plan for the weekend is a club run, which will probably get back to York around half four.  By my estimation you'll be starting to head back from Pock around then?  Don't be surprised if I ride out to join you for the last bit.

CrinklyLion

See, there's that 'plan' word again. 

We need to be back in York by 6:40 or andrew will be stranded and trainless.  If we can ride quick enough I thought we'd stop off at the pub in Warthill for a pint or two on the way back.  Howsabout we text you when we're setting off from Pock?

CrinklyLion

I'm working on a route to York which is more interesting than the A167-A168-A19, but also less familiar than the lanes route which I'm too-familiar with. 

You could pass within shouting distance of my Auntie Ruth's house in Ingleby Arncliffe, I reckon.  She makes much better cake than me...  Actually, one day we should do a forum ride there and make her feed us! :)

You could pass within shouting distance of my Auntie Ruth's house in Ingleby Arncliffe, I reckon.  She makes much better cake than me...  Actually, one day we should do a forum ride there and make her feed us! :)

Would it be compulsory for Deano to shout?

Saturday 19th March.  The scene: Auntie Ruth's house.  Auntie Ruth is just going about her morning business when she is puzzled to hear a distant shout of "Hello Auntie Ruth", Dopler shifting to the south...

But not as puzzled as she is when, 8 hours later, 72 random cyclists turn up, demanding 'better cake'.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
See, there's that 'plan' word again. 

We need to be back in York by 6:40 or andrew will be stranded and trainless.  If we can ride quick enough I thought we'd stop off at the pub in Warthill for a pint or two on the way back.  Howsabout we text you when we're setting off from Pock?

That sounds like a good plan.

I noticed you talking about hills without using scare quotes earlier, now you're talking about plans.  When will this madness cease?!

OK - I'm definitely on for this. Had my pass out approved last night (I've had to cook the evening meal 10 nights in a row to get it !!!) and I have rail tickets.

Unfortunately they are not on the trains I'd been planning (some git has beaten me to it and pinched the bike space both ways...) so I'll be at York by 8:30 and have to catch the 18:56 home. I was half considering joining Deano on the way down as the east coast site kept messing me around, but common sense has prevailed.

How deep is the ford at Hawnby likely to be - or have they built a bridge these days. It's years since I've been there but remember getting very wet...

I feel a bit of a git about this - I'm the closest person to the station, but really can't offer parking space for bikes, cars or people. Rest of family don't usually surface until after 11 on weekends, and my pass out will be rescinded for the rest of my life if people turned up at the door at 9am.

I'll just have to bribe daughter out bed (probably with offer of bacon butty at station) and meet people at the station, methinks.  Should be able to help navigate through york to the crinklyden.

MsCharly is quite excited about this ride (warning; said state may induce squealing at times).  I gave her extra motivation last night by informing her that if she completes it, she will have ridden further than her elder brother ever has in a single day. That thought induced a Glow Of Happiness.
<i>Marmite slave</i>