Author Topic: Bye Lance  (Read 288201 times)

Toady

Re: Bye Lance
« Reply #1525 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:18:42 am »
Small story in the Metro about a guy who bought 10,000 "Science of Lance Armstrong" DVDs last year at £1 each, hoping to make a tidy profit. 

‘They will make good tea coasters, wind chimes or bird scarers. I could make a big tower or build a big domino toppling track for my three-year-old.  I’m sure someone will come up with a good idea for them,’ he added, with more than a hint of desperation in his voice.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/21/man-struggling-to-sell-10000-lance-armstrong-dvds-after-cyclists-doping-admission-3360686/

« Reply #1526 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:54:53 am »
...I have never liked the stupid American 'deal' concept.   You get someone who has only murdered two people to nark on someone who has murdered 20 and call the first guy a hero and let him go with a token sentence. It's discrimination  and wrong. ...
It's much, much worse than that.

You get, e.g., the instigator of an armed robbery which turned into a murder, perhaps the person who pulled the trigger, to shop his subordinates, & execute them while giving him a relatively short sentence.

In some cases, there's evidence that criminals have shopped people who weren't even involved, & got innocent people locked up or even executed, in order to reduce their own sentences.

In financial crimes (& sometimes not necessarily even crimes), the state is now using criminal charges as a money-raising scheme, shaking down firms in 'settlements' which are effectively payments for the privilege of not having their business disrupted by investigations which would cost them more than paying up, regardless of whether anything is found to justify a prosecution.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1527 on: 22 January, 2013, 11:57:35 am »
Small story in the Metro about a guy who bought 10,000 "Science of Lance Armstrong" DVDs last year at £1 each, hoping to make a tidy profit. 

‘They will make good tea coasters, wind chimes or bird scarers. I could make a big tower or build a big domino toppling track for my three-year-old.  I’m sure someone will come up with a good idea for them,’ he added, with more than a hint of desperation in his voice.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/21/man-struggling-to-sell-10000-lance-armstrong-dvds-after-cyclists-doping-admission-3360686/

Has he viewed one yet?

It might show the science of storing blood, avoiding drug tests and injecting EPO?
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1528 on: 23 January, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »
I got given a 6-DVD box set of official TdF DVDs for Christmas  :thumbsup:

Two of the DVDs are the LA years  :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1529 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:19:49 pm »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1530 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:44:07 pm »
That story isn't entirely accurate. He didn't tell riders when they "came close to testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs", he told them if their hematocrit levels were close to the prescribed limit, which isn't the same thing at all.

Thing is, the 50% limit was an entirely arbitrary number and pretty meaningless. A rider with a naturally low hematocrit could use EPO to boost it to maybe 45% and they'd be getting much more advantage than a rider with a naturally high hematocrit - say, 47%.

The bio passport should, in theory, be a much more useful guide to whether or not a rider is using EPO since it reveals abnormal changes in blood levels over time.

I'm no fan of Verbruggen, but if you consider that one of the reasons for banning EPO is that it was killing young riders, warning them when their blood levels were getting dangerously high seems a sensible move.

On the other hand, the UCI could have done an awful lot more to combat EPO use if they'd really wanted to.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

Bye Lance
« Reply #1531 on: 23 January, 2013, 07:22:31 pm »
Yebbut IIRC safety was the ostensible reason for the 50% rule. High hematocrit isn't in itself a reliable indicator of EPO use, as that muddle-headed article seems to suggest.

I don't believe the UCI ever actually cared about catching riders using EPO.

d.

welshwheels

• stop eating cheeseburgers big boy!!!!
« Reply #1532 on: 23 January, 2013, 07:53:15 pm »
I think Lance Armstrong should be commended for being able to ride a bike on drugs, I tried it once, hit a dog and ended up in a canal.
 ;D  sory if off topic  as you were ;)
struggling up hills since 1981 !!!

« Reply #1533 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:12:08 pm »
Yebbut IIRC safety was the ostensible reason for the 50% rule. High hematocrit isn't in itself a reliable indicator of EPO use, as that muddle-headed article seems to suggest.

I don't believe the UCI ever actually cared about catching riders using EPO.

d.

I agree... especially when you consider that a high HCT just meant a few weeks off, not very ignominius.

« Reply #1534 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:38:27 pm »

Somewhat OT, but I read an article recently about the effects of pre-emptive dosing with NSAID's, the theory being that taking e.g. ibuprofen before exercise would allow harder training. It may do, but it also may promote increased bleeding in the small intestine. Which in turn may prove injurious to health.  The human body is a very complex organism.

As someone who takes ibuprofen daily and who needs a top up at 140kms just to get round a 200, I am convinced that this is absolute tripe. I don't get any benefit from pre-emptive use; it's not performance enhancing because there really is no benefit if it is not treating a genuine problem. (Mind, my wife administers EPO to patients at work and she has never noticed any miraculous effects either).
Perhaps the best training drug would be acid (and a conviction that you were God or LA). Might get dangerous in traffic though!

« Reply #1535 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:46:15 pm »
I think a lifetime ban would be in his interest though.  I don't think he yet realises how unpopular he would be at these events.  I picture a chorus of booing as he makes his way along the triathlon course.

(As for whether event organisers would want him...of course they would..they'd get big money from TV companies to cover events that would normally remain anonymous).
Some good points there.

I believe he's done some big-ish triathlons (Ironmans?) since retirement. I don't think they got much media coverage (outside the bike/triathlon nerdweb!).

Anyone know how welcome he was at those?
[Obviously these were before the recent admissions, but i'd still like to know.]

The organisers wouldn't get much money for the TV coverage if the audiences were apathetic or pxxed off about LA. His presence could have a very negative effect (I might be an anti-social oddity but I refuse to watch sports people I don't like even if I follow the sport. I can't be the only one. I also turn off for certain french commentators).

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #1536 on: 24 January, 2013, 08:30:07 am »

The organisers wouldn't get much money for the TV coverage if the audiences were apathetic or pxxed off about LA. His presence could have a very negative effect (I might be an anti-social oddity but I refuse to watch sports people I don't like even if I follow the sport. I can't be the only one. I also turn off for certain french commentators).

The main reason why I lost interest in the tour over the 7 'Armstrong' years.

citoyen

Bye Lance
« Reply #1537 on: 25 January, 2013, 08:22:10 am »
Interesting response on twitter from Vaughters to Wiggo's latest comments about Lance - says Wiggo and Lance were "BFF" in 2009 & it was Lance who persuaded Wiggo to leave Garmin.

Others have pointed out that Vaughters could have told Wiggo then what he knew about Lance but chose to remain silent. 

d.

« Reply #1538 on: 25 January, 2013, 09:21:19 am »
There was a reason that Garmin introduced a biological passport system, and set out their stall as a 'clean' team. There'd be no point in doing that in a 'clean' environment. Wiggins' position in 2009 was partly down to Millar, and of course Vaughters.

« Reply #1539 on: 26 January, 2013, 06:14:58 pm »
In his third interview with Oprah, Armstrong reveals what he really believes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUKZD6eqgo&feature=player_embedded

« Reply #1540 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »
Ever get the impression that the UCI are just toying with us?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-disband-independent-commission

The UCI today announced that it will scrap its Independent Commission in favor of a "truth and reconciliation commission"  (TRC).

Or, to paraphrase someone on Facebook, they are dropping the forensic investigation in favour of an extended coffee morning.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1541 on: 28 January, 2013, 10:43:21 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmgMUFzmDss&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CmgMUFzmDss&rel=1</a>

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bye Lance
« Reply #1542 on: 29 January, 2013, 07:21:22 am »

The UCI today announced that it will scrap its Independent Commission in favor of a "truth and reconciliation commission"  (TRC).

Truth & Reconciliation?? Are they really serious? It's only cycling and I'm pretty sure that tens of thousands of innocent people were not dragged out of their beds and 'disappeared' or tortured as a result of cycling.....

Sounds to me like more 'jobs for the boys' -
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1543 on: 29 January, 2013, 08:37:20 am »

Or, to paraphrase someone on Facebook, they are dropping the forensic investigation in favour of an extended coffee morning.

As WADA and USADA has refused to cooperate with the UCI's 'independent' investigation unless it incorporated TnR, I guess this is a logical development.

citoyen

« Reply #1544 on: 29 January, 2013, 09:48:11 am »

« Reply #1545 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:09:21 am »

As WADA and USADA has refused to cooperate with the UCI's 'independent' investigation unless it incorporated TnR, I guess this is a logical development.

I'd phrase it differently. It appears as if the UCI has made it impossible for WADA to get on board. The UCI have pulled the plug before the scheduled meeting in two days time that was meant to reconcile the evidence processes. The UCI never presented any.

It stinks

« Reply #1546 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:13:54 am »
Did we all see this story in yesterday's Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/lancearmstrong/9831270/Lance-Armstrong-doped-during-cycling-comeback-insists-USADA-chief.html

This is about Tygarts appearance on 60 minutes.
He's doing his best to try and mitigate Lance's obvious lying on the Oprah show.

Armstrong has to work with USADA, if he wants any sort of presence in sport, but he is trying to avoid it and obfuscate. Tygart and Armstrong had a meeting before Christmas about a possible confession, and the terms. Armstrong walked out in anger.

citoyen

« Reply #1547 on: 29 January, 2013, 10:29:55 am »
He's doing his best to try and mitigate Lance's obvious lying on the Oprah show.

Good luck to him with that.

d.

« Reply #1548 on: 29 January, 2013, 11:06:55 am »
I'm looking forward to the statement later today from the commission. I hope and expect it to be scathing .

« Reply #1549 on: 29 January, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »
not sure if this has been posted before, I'm usually a bit behind the times  ;D  but should prove interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21227052