Author Topic: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...  (Read 6404 times)

Re: It's ok for someone to nearly drive into you...
« Reply #25 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:25:34 pm »
As much as it would be ideal to calmly, politely and rationally explain your position, have the other road user listen to you and acknowledge they might have been at fault and apologise, followed by all parties going on their way, carefully, attentively and considerately using the road for the remainder of their journeys, happy with the amicable outcome, it doesn't usually work like that.

Torrents of abuse and shifting the blame onto the victim through some daft non sequitur are the more common outcome, indeed sometimes also from others who were not involved (like in Biggsy's case). I'm not suggesting that you always get the best results from going nuclear straight away, but that sometimes being polite and calm ends up in you getting walked all over.

If you've ever had a really close call, it's hard not to take it personally. You have my sympathies, Biggsy. Driving is a responsibility that most people don't take seriously enough.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #26 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »
Thanks.  I wouldn't have got so angry if only I had some acknowledgement of existing (after the event).  The threatening behaviour from the other guy made it worse as well (getting out and coming towards me).

Usually I don't even bother reacting at all for this kind of thing, but in this case I had a strong feeling right away that the driver needed to be made aware of their error.

So I was angry about two things: a dodgy driver, and someone who thinks a dodgy driver is ok because they're a certain age.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 05 March, 2011, 03:42:05 pm »
Biggsy, you lowlife: even the Crays looked after their mum!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 05 March, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »
Of course it's not ok for someone to nearly drive into you. But banging on the roof is a touch much imo bearing in mind that they did not actually hit you.

I agree. Difficult to reach the roof when you are under the wheels, though. Still, as a mAsTa, perhaps you'd be willing to demonstrate the technique?

« Reply #29 on: 05 March, 2011, 04:49:40 pm »
Whether they are little old ladies, sweet ickle gurlies, innocent Childe Harolds or Santas on their way to start their shift, bad drivers are dangerous, especially if they're bad drivers because they aren't really in the same world as the rest of us at the time.

No need to let anyhting get you upset or wind you up, but sometimes, things do. Have you never been angry or upset? Lack of emotion is a bad place to be.

Of course I have and I can tell you it does not get you anywhere.

You may have only come across drivers (not to mention motorcyclists, pedestrians and other cyclists) who behave sensibly at all times and never endanger you - which I think unlikely - but surely you've had an experience where you're so terrified the adrenalin takes over? For goodness' sake, if you're just cycling along there's more adrenalin in your system than when you're sitting down.

Adrenalin in the system results in the impulse to fly or to fight. Anger is a natural reaction to danger and I, for one, have always got extremely hacked off at smooth, smug gits who tell me to chill (or even worse, chillax) when something annoys or threatens me.

And as for this old bird - how long before she kills someone?

Seriously, next OP if something like this happens and you feel that strongly report it to the Police, don't get mad get even.

Hmmm... Nice joke.
The journey is always more important than the destination

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #30 on: 05 March, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »
No, of course it's not acceptable, whoever the driver, whatever the circumstances.

But, here's a little old lady, driving along. Then some bloke is

standing right beside her window and shouting at the top of (his) voice

The women is now probably scared. If she blots you out and continues on her way she'll soon be back home with a cuppa and a biccy. No amount of roof banging will get her to talk to you.

Third party just saw bloke apparently bullying little old lady and reacted accordingly.

I've no idea how I'd get round this situation if it happened to me, but I understand the result of your outburst. Not a criticism Biggsy, having your life put at risk will produce such a reaction.

A lot of older people are behind the wheel who have had little or no driver training in modern road conditions. What to do? Yearly, compulsory retests/refresher courses post retirement maybe?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #31 on: 05 March, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »
The answer is an AirZound!

spindrift

« Reply #32 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:00:29 pm »
I've used an Airzound on an older driver who jumped and swerved when he heard it.

If a car is close enough for a cyclist to slap the roof it's too close, troofact.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:02:11 pm »
But, here's a little old lady, driving along. Then some bloke is

standing right beside her window and shouting at the top of (his) voice

The women is now probably scared. If she blots you out and continues on her way she'll soon be back home with a cuppa and a biccy. No amount of roof banging will get her to talk to you.

Third party just saw bloke apparently bullying little old lady and reacted accordingly.

I've no idea how I'd get round this situation if it happened to me, but I understand the result of your outburst.
I agree it's not a surprising outcome - but that doesn't make Biggsy's actions wrong, and they may have been his best option. Let's look at the other option:

Smile sweetly, wave her on here way.

Result? She drives home oblivious to the lethal effects of her driving. Does anyone want this?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:28:05 pm »
A lot of older people are behind the wheel who have had little or no driver training in modern road conditions. What to do? Yearly, compulsory retests/refresher courses post retirement maybe?

Free bus pass and a decent public transport system, that anyone, be they very young, old or wheelchair bound or even fully fit and able bodied can use easily.
More feasable in big towns and cities, I admit. Not perfect, but certainly not dangerous. It would most likely solve many more problems than it may cause. Not a popular option though.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #35 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »

Result? She drives home oblivious to the lethal effects of her driving. Does anyone want this?

She is still oblivious, but with a tale to tell about nasty cyclists who shout and bang on cars.

Like I said, no criticism of OP intended, and I can't offer an workable, effective alternative course of action.
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #36 on: 05 March, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »
You never know, she might eventually put two and two together and realise she's doing something wrong if "nasty" cyclists keep bothering her.

In retrospect I feel my actions were a bit OTT, except she might not have seen my bike for the second time if I had not eventually got her attention by banging.  Then she would have driven over it!  ...Then driven two miles down the road before realising something was dragging.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #37 on: 05 March, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this, I've been accused of being an Airzound terrorist before.

The advantage of a horn IMHO, is that it grabs the miscreants attention without being 'personal' or intimidating. 

When poor innocent old lady recounts the tale to her Top Gear acolyte son 'a nasty cyclist blew his horn at me' might play better than ' a purple faced hairy arsed male cyclist beat the crap out of my car, stood bellowing at me and I shat myself'.

Being human, I used to find relying on one's voice inevitably leads to embellishment, which can up the ante somewhat.

« Reply #38 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:14:45 pm »
Big up the airzound.  It's a brill way to get driver attention - they are already preprogrammed to react to horns, and not very much to angry cyclist shouting.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #39 on: 05 March, 2011, 08:53:55 pm »
I've only banged a car roof a couple of times, and on at least one of those occasions it was very clear from her reaction that the driver hadn't seen me at all. If they're that close, they're lucky to get away with just a slap on the roof - more often than than not they drive away, oblivious.

« Reply #40 on: 06 March, 2011, 09:53:27 am »
Big up the airzound.  It's a brill way to get driver attention - they are already preprogrammed to react to horns, and not very much to angry cyclist shouting.
Love my Airzound - they're great for when you can see something's about to happen - quick honk and it's magically prevented! For very close calls though, you only have time to get on the brakes.

« Reply #41 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:25:29 am »
Love my Airzound - they're great for when you can see something's about to happen - quick honk and it's magically prevented! For very close calls though, you only have time to get on the brakes.

With a decent handlebar config, that doesn't have to be an issue.  I've acquired a sort of preprogrammed grab at both brakes and the airzound at the same time.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #42 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:38:43 am »
I came the closest I have ever been in my life to banging a car roof yesterday.  Narrow twisty single lane road with very occasional passing places, grassy muddy verge on the left and no passing place or driveway of sensible place for us to pull off the road.  CrinklyCub the elder was riding ahead of me.  Car, on a dead straight bit of the lane, heading towards us.  I told the Cub to take it steady and slow down - the lane is (just) wide enough for a car and a bike to pass each other if they both go slow and get right to the edge.  The car just carried on, without pulling left and without slowing at all.  It must have been going well over 30 and probably more like 40, and it missed his bars by literally a few inches.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:43:47 am »
In those situations, it is occasionally useful to stick your right arm out at eye height as they are driving towards you. Some will slow down and move over, the others you can either lift your arm and slap the roof or pull your arm back to slap the wing mirror (stings but makes a satisfyingly loud noise and sometimes folds the wing mirror back).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #44 on: 06 March, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
Well, sometimes those dear old Grandmas do get to suffer.

I had a very old Aunt who couldn't drive to save her life. Came out of a lane to turn right onto a major road requiring her to cross the nearest lane. Didn't see the car bearing down on her at high speed and bang, wallop, two cars destroyed and two drivers seriously injured in Hospital.

It could of course have been a cyclist that got seriously injured.

She never drove again, thank goodness :demon:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 06 March, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »
CrinklyCub the elder was riding ahead of me.  Car, on a dead straight bit of the lane, heading towards us.  I told the Cub to take it steady and slow down - the lane is (just) wide enough for a car and a bike to pass each other if they both go slow and get right to the edge.  The car just carried on, without pulling left and without slowing at all. 
I like LWAB's idea, but what I do is ride straight at them, middle of the road. So far every driver has slowed right down.
I make sure to thank them effusively, which hopefully makes them feel all warm and cuddly inside.

(And of course if they don't, it doesn't take much to swerve 3' out of their way, which you would have had to do anyway).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #46 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:13:46 pm »
what I do is ride straight at them, middle of the road. So far every driver has slowed right down.
I make sure to thank them effusively, which hopefully makes them feel all warm and cuddly inside.

(And of course if they don't, it doesn't take much to swerve 3' out of their way, which you would have had to do anyway).

Same here. And if you're further out in the road, you can hit the kerbstone or grass verge square if that's the best option if you need to take evasive action, rather than getting channeled into them.

« Reply #47 on: 06 March, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
Going back to the elderly lady, if you genuinely felt that she had no idea, and was a danger on the road, you have the option of reporting the matter to DVLA.  I have no idea whether they have to take all reports seriously, but I hope they do.  And as with reporting stuff to the police, if nothing happens first time, at least a picture can be built if there are other reports.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #48 on: 06 March, 2011, 06:17:46 pm »
Next time I might try photographing the number plate and reporting to the DVLA and/or the cops.  There was no safe opportunity this time after the bloke (who had nothing to do with it) was getting aggressive.

Funny thing is that I'm normally Mr Chillax on a bike.  ...Like I was on a Boris bike this afternoon with pedestrians stepping out right in front of me all the time.  Live and let jaywalk.  Well, apart from the odd ting ting of the bell.  No Air Zounds on those things.

« Reply #49 on: 06 March, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »

With a decent handlebar config, that doesn't have to be an issue.  I've acquired a sort of preprogrammed grab at both brakes and the airzound at the same time.

Well fail of this tonight.  My yell did the trick, someone turned right across my path without looking.  How the 'k do you miss an Exposure Maxx-D light?