Author Topic: Truly Terrible Books thread  (Read 26374 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: Truly Terrible Books thread
« Reply #125 on: 17 March, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

I tried to read The Da Vinci Code but I couldn't bear more than a few pages of the sub-Janet & John prose. I'll just have to take it on trust that it got better as it went on.

For you (and for me) it's torture.  For a significant number of people, it's about as complex reading as they can manage, for various reasons including poor literacy, bad education or just low intellect. 

There are bad writers and there are bad readers.  And, to be fair, those who enjoy turning their brain off while reading as relaxation and actively seek material which will not re-activate the brain muscles.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #126 on: 17 March, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »
Probably posted this before, but never mind. Once, when utterly bored (I was, after all, dwelling in Luton at the time) I picked up, from my local library, the bookofdafilm of "Empire Strikes Back"

See Spot run.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #127 on: 17 March, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »
Two words.

Hemingway
Ernest

I see The Times is as up to the minute as ever. Seriously, that is about sixth-form level...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #128 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:37:08 pm »
The major opinion forming newspaper in the UK is The Sun.  No really it is.  It's read everwhere, left everwhere and therefore re-read more often by many more people than any other newspaper.

I got told this on day one of my job in a busy Press Office (yes, I was fucking busy between the wars*)

The Sun is written to pitch to the average UK adult** reading age to maximise readership.  That would be nine years old.  Scary isn't it?

*Copyright Skint Video

** I'll caveat that I have heard that (and contradictory ages) quoted endlessly without real supporting evidence, reality is though that they punch low and hit the target.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #129 on: 18 March, 2011, 11:44:45 am »
Two words.

Hemingway
Ernest

I see The Times is as up to the minute as ever. Seriously, that is about sixth-form level...

Dates from the early seventies; IIRC it was originally written for "Punch" after someone had posited that every great author has at least one children's book in them.  Also included were Shakepeare's Five Go Off To Elsinore and Dostoyevsky's The Gollies Karamazov.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #130 on: 18 March, 2011, 09:48:59 pm »
Tolkein though Narnia was a bit crap and he was C.S Lewis's best mate :)

The Narnia books are great to a 10 - 14 year old. I loved them.

Re: Truely Terrible Books thread
« Reply #131 on: 18 March, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »
Christian sci-fi.  Like Christian rock's pale, geeky brother.

Oh, oh, yes!  "Out of the Silent Planet" by C.S. Lewis.  I don't know if the rest of the trilogy are so astoundingly, mind-numbingly awful and dull because the first one made ne too suicidal ever to want to find out.

My aunt once bought me the trilogy for a Christmas present. I never even completed the first one.

I quite liked the Narnia books when I was very young, but I looked at them again a few years ago out of nostalgia and found them unreadable.

d.

Oh, I don’t know – I think they are still pretty good* for the most part, with the exception of ‘The Last Battle’ which I thought was incredibly bad and odd when reading as a child, now I just think it’s terribly, terribly wrong.  Lewis wasn’t very nice to Susan’s character who is going to hell for liking lipstick and boys.

*By which I mean an enjoyable re-read, there is a lot you could pick Lewis up for (pick your ism, there are plenty to choose from) but it doesn’t stop them being for the most part still fun to re-read as an adult – the thing that really jars for me is the clumsy mish-mash of mythology, most apparent when Father Christmas turns up in ‘The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe’.

I'm less sure how enjoyable they would be as a fresh read for adults who hadn't read the books as children.

Much like citoyen, I had a flick through them one time I was visiting my parents, and had a similar reaction. I rather suspect that an adult who hadn't read any of the Narnia books as a child started reading one, they probably wouldn't finish.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #132 on: 19 March, 2011, 10:21:12 am »
Tolkein though Narnia was a bit crap and he was C.S Lewis's best mate :)

The Narnia books are great to a 10 - 14 year old. I loved them.

I loved them when I was a kid. More like 8 - 11 years old though. It's adults rating them as great that amazes me.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #133 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:30:32 pm »
I've found something worse than Dan Brown.

I decency read the Twelfth Imam by Joel C Rosenberg. It is offensive, malevolent religious claptrap. It's also appallingly written, with characters who possess less substance than a fart in a wind tunnel, and the amount of research and political background make Tom Clancy appear reasonable, and sophisticated. I suppose the front cover praise from Rush Limbaugh should have given me a hint, but I was half asleep and just wanted a bit of easy escapism so it took a while for the clues to penetrate.

More worryingly, Tiermat sent me this on an SD card. To Iran. Is he trying to get me detained by the authorities? At least I talked him out of sending me some Salman Rushdie ;)

« Reply #134 on: 07 January, 2012, 06:33:24 pm »

More worryingly, Tiermat sent me this on an SD card. To Iran. Is he trying to get me detained by the authorities? At least I talked him out of sending me some Salman Rushdie ;)

I think the Itanians would be happy for you to be sent some of Salman Rushdie - and they'll tell you which bits.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #135 on: 07 January, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »
Glad to be of service Dean.

I'll chalk that one up to "random selection" ;)

Hope some of the others are better.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #136 on: 07 January, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »
Anythign by Agatha Christie or Enid Blyton is a flying start.  I've read several and regretted.
I know that lots of Blyton is appallingly racist and sexist by today's standards, but she wrote exciting stories which kept children turning the pages. The Famous Five were way better than the Secret Seven though.

Just to give some people a flavour of the book, part of the story involves a bloke falling in love with an alien parasite who inhabits the brain of a woman who happens to have a really good pair.
That sounds intellectual.  :D

Most disappointing books for me were the later vampire chronicles/mayfair witches stories by Anne Rice. The major mistake was putting the two threads together. Lestat should never have met Rowan! The first few were great. Blood Canticle and Taltos are dire.

I like a trashy novel. But it has to be good trashy.

Speaking of poor vampire books, the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice turned into pretty bad books as the series progressed.  It started with a very good read in Interview with a Vampire and gradually the characters progressively died on the page as more books were published.
Yes, I liked Interview with the Vampire and the first one of the Mayfair Witches set, the name of which escapes me, but the second in each set were worse, and by the third they were dreadful.

I quite like a trashy book too, but there's good trash and bad trash.

Lovely Bones
Just dreadful
I love The Lovely Bones, although there are a couple of scenes which make me cringe. I like her other stuff too - Lucky and The Almost Moon.

My aunt once bought me the trilogy for a Christmas present. I never even completed the first one.

I quite liked the Narnia books when I was very young, but I looked at them again a few years ago out of nostalgia and found them unreadable.

I only had The Magician's Nephew (the drawings of Uncle Andrew looked like Rod Hull) and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when I was a kid. So I bought the rest of them as an adult. Like the Blyton books, they're a bit dodgy by today's standards, and the moralising is painful, but I think they work quite well as a set and as individual books. They have the things kids often want to read - adventure away from the parents, and good beating evil.

I find it very difficult to only read one or two from a full set. Even if I hate the books I want to know what happens, which is one of the reasons I finished the Twilight set and the only reason I bothered with the Dark Tower set after Wizard and Glass.

If you think LOTR was bad, try Catcher in the Rye, everyone raves about it, but I just don't get it.
I like LotR. Catcher in the Rye I never understood what the fuss was about. I thought the main character was a pretentious self-indulgent arsehole and I ran out of patience with him very quickly.

Similarly, although I didn't dislike The Secret History by Donna Tartt, in fact I liked it and re-read it every so often, there isn't a single likeable character in the book. They're all vile.

Probably posted this before, but never mind. Once, when utterly bored (I was, after all, dwelling in Luton at the time) I picked up, from my local library, the bookofdafilm of "Empire Strikes Back"

See Spot run.
I used to get that out of the library when I was a teenager just to look at the film stills in the middle. Just the Han Solo ones.

My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #137 on: 08 January, 2012, 02:14:52 pm »
Glad to be of service Dean.

I'll chalk that one up to "random selection" ;)

Hope some of the others are better.....

They couldn't be worse ;)

Yes, they do seem to be much better, thanks. I quite enjoyed the Tom Clancy when I was feeling a bit ill, though they got more preposterous as they went on. And longer, with page after page crammed with weapons specificationzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

« Reply #138 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »
I got into trouble over the Narnia Chronicles at school!

We were reading the Lion Witch and Wardrobe in class and I was enjoying it, but was frustrated when we had the Summer Holidays and wanted to know what had happened..

My grandparents bought me the set for my birthday and I had read the lot by the time we went back to School. So the rest of the year as we worked through them I was now bored as I knew what happened and the rest of the plots.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #139 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:43:26 pm »
I hated the Narnia stories. When I was teaching, I wouldn't read them to my class.

I once bumped into a chap in a pub some 10 to 15 years after I last taught him. Let's say that he never set the world alight academically.

In our conversation, he asked "D'you remember readin' us the 'Obbit? I've just finished readin' the Lord of the Rings."

Edit: I wouldn't read a class "Black Beauty" either. I remember having that read to us when I was about 8 or 9. I hated it. I don't ever remember finding any story so utterly, excruciatingly tedious.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #140 on: 08 January, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »
Anything by Stephanie Meyer. I did make it through the first Twilight book. Then the sun went down and that was it. SWMBO has them all and I have not read them (and I am a voracious reader given the chance)

I liked the Baroque trilogy. Well paced in the style of a russian historical novel. Some interesting stuff which might be a bit "I'm a smartipants" and so on.

I don't get shakespeare. Austen I can take or leave but it is notmy thing..

Dan Brown - the Mission Impossible of action novels. Turn your improbability filter off, don't think, just sit back and enjoy the next couple of hours (till the plane lands).

Gabriel Garcia Marquez. That would be the only other author whose book I have failed to finish. Did he run out of full stops so have to make everything into three page long sentences?

Enid Blyton was great as a 7 year old.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #141 on: 08 January, 2012, 11:47:13 pm »
Fangland by John Marks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fangland).  Significantly worse than Dan Brown, and that's saying something.

« Reply #142 on: 09 January, 2012, 11:09:33 am »
I've come to realise Dan Brown is a genius.

He was an English teacher who decided that he could write make a lot more money from the royalties of blockbuster novels better than the ones out there than he could from being a teacher.

Fixed...  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #143 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:39:58 pm »
Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow was crap. I still don't know what happened at the end. Maybe that's the point, but it was much too deep for me.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #144 on: 09 January, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
I've tried a couple of Devla Murphy's books & just can't see them thru' to the end:in fact a couple of chapters is enough for me.
ymmv

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #145 on: 09 January, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow was crap. I still don't know what happened at the end. Maybe that's the point, but it was much too deep for me.

I thought it was OK, but I did get the feeling that a lot was lost in translation.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #146 on: 09 January, 2012, 07:02:23 pm »
It just fizzled out for me. I don't mind books where some effort is required, but it felt like Hoeg just gave up one long Friday afternoon and thought "sod it, that'll do!".
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #147 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:15:55 pm »

Gabriel Garcia Marquez. That would be the only other author whose book I have failed to finish. Did he run out of full stops so have to make everything into three page long sentences?

I was expecting him to be great, expecially as I'm a big fan of the 'magic realism' of Louis de Bernieres.
Utter twaddle. By the end of the book I was just willing all the characters to hurry up and just die!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #148 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
Oh, I love Louis de Bernieres.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."