Author Topic: Getting further for beginners  (Read 6394 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Getting further for beginners
« Reply #25 on: 27 March, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »
Bollocks Al. Only at high speeds and at a very limited range of angles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Alouicious

« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2011, 07:23:29 am »

Of course its bollocks. Its a response to Hellimedic's minature font posting, which we all had to open a reply window to read it.

A not very funny attempt to start another helmet debate, so it got the contempt it deserved.

There are some things that look cleaner if you wash them with bullshit. Helmet threads are one of them.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2011, 07:45:31 am »
Actually, I think it rather more likely that it was a genuine and helpful attempt from an incredibly genuine, helpful and knowledgeable poster to offer one other possible cause for MsCharly's discomfort, with a nod at forum humour about the sensitivity of the subject. 

And anyway, if memory serves it would be a non-issue because I'm pretty sure that no helmets were involved in the creation of that particular nexk discomfort on that particular ride.

MrCharly, is your girl still enthused for getting further once the warm fuzzy glow of having got round (and THOROUGHLY trashed her big brother's longest distance ever  ;D) has started to fade?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #28 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:50:30 am »

And if there were any truth in it, it would actually backup HM's point: File:Lift drag graph.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i.e. the more lift an aerofoil offers, the greater the drag. The more drag, the more strain on the neck.

Aero nonsense aside, for my own part I did find my neck-comfort improved slightly when I removed the substantial clip-on peak from my lid. It felt like my head was buffeted by the wind less, so I needed to use less effort to stabilise it. YMMV and all that.

The bigger gains were found from: doing some Pilates classes, visiting a cycling-aware osteopath who gave tips on good bike posture and small exercises to do whilst cycling, and of course steadily building up the miles.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #29 on: 28 March, 2011, 11:55:16 am »

Aero nonsense aside, for my own part I did find my neck-comfort improved slightly when I removed the substantial clip-on peak from my lid. It felt like my head was buffeted by the wind less, so I needed to use less effort to stabilise it. YMMV and all that.

My other half experienced similar results with a clip on peak thing - I personally think it's more to do with the fact that, with a peak, you have to tilt your head slightly further back to be able to see further ahead.  But, yes, I could imagine it also gets buffeted by the wind.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #30 on: 13 April, 2011, 07:20:13 am »

It's also common to "sag" into your handlebars during a long ride such that the line across your shoulders becomes concave rather than convex.  That's something you need to keep reminding yourself about.

+1

I've found that having bars too high can make things worse as they encourage the shoulders to go backwards relative to the neck.

Lowering the bars encourages the back to bow slightly and the shoulders move forward.