Author Topic: Genesis Croix de Fer  (Read 52231 times)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Genesis Croix de Fer
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:15:28 pm »
I have a new bike  :thumbsup:

Picked it up this morning, went out for a little spin on it this afternoon, first impressions very good, a very comfortable ride over poor road surfaces and still reasonably lively on the hills.

I just wish it was some colour other than white - just a few miles and its already a mess  :(
Aero but not dynamic

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Genesis Croix de Fer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:44:18 pm »
I have a new bike  :thumbsup:

Picked it up this morning, went out for a little spin on it this afternoon, first impressions very good, a very comfortable ride over poor road surfaces and still reasonably lively on the hills.

I just wish it was some colour other than white - just a few miles and its already a mess  :(
It was the colour that put me off buying one.  Also the fact that its stablemate (Genesis Day-One Alfine) has gears-inna-can.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:41:29 pm »
I gave the Day One Alfine serious consideration (great colour !) but I was put off by the faff of dealing with a rear wheel puncture.  And the heavier frame tubing.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:45:39 pm »
What discs are on your bikes? I ask because I have a second hand frame coming and the jury seems to be out on the Tektro Lyra discs.
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:35 pm »
I have done 2000+ miles over the last 10 months on my CdF.  It has Shimano BR-R505 brakes and they seem pretty good to me.  I haven't used any other cable disks but this is coming from a background of mountain bikes with hydraulic disks.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:23:42 pm »
Yep, this year's model also has the Shimano BR-R505 Discs.  Seem v good so far - loads better than the cantilever rim brakes I'm used to.
Aero but not dynamic

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:54 pm »
A week and several rides later and I'm really enjoying this bike, it's well on the way to becoming my favourite steed.  It has all of the comfort of my Bob Jackson tourer but with loads more get up and go.  And it's also become the one and only off the peg bike I've ever bought where I haven't felt compelled to immediately change the saddle  :thumbsup:  I'm not sure that the same can be said about the bar tape though, it looks great but I've finding it a bit slippery.
Aero but not dynamic

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:47:01 pm »
This thread is useless without pictures! Of course, if you bring it along to an audax then we could all get a good look at it then :thumbsup:
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:07:21 pm »
This thread is useless without pictures! Of course, if you bring it along to an audax then we could all get a good look at it then :thumbsup:

Well I've just checked the audax calendar for events of 200k or less within a 60 mile radius of Edinburgh and drawn a blank until September  :(  So a photo it is then.  But if the Edinburgh audax grupetto are planning on any informal rides of 200k or less in the meantime I'd be interested in joining you.  (Remains to be seen whether I'd be able to keep up though...)

Mods from standard - 35mm cross tyres swapped for 32mm Marathons, 12-25 cassette swapped for 12-27, mudguards and TopPeak disc rack added.
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:07:08 pm »
Aye, looks a nice bike.
Nice garden estate too  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:32:58 am »

Well I've just checked the audax calendar for events of 200k or less within a 60 mile radius of Edinburgh and drawn a blank until September  :( 
May I recommend the insanity that is The Dumb Run?

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:08:25 pm »
What discs are on your bikes? I ask because I have a second hand frame coming and the jury seems to be out on the Tektro Lyra discs.
A guy I bumped into with one of these said the disc brakes were crap - far inferior to calipers. But I don't know which model of discs he had. Other than that he was very pleased with the bike.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »
Yep, this year's model also has the Shimano BR-R505 Discs.  Seem v good so far - loads better than the cantilever rim brakes I'm used to.
After a couple more months use, and recent dry weather comparison with conventional cantilever and sidepull brakes, I've modified my opinion a little.  In wet, crappy winter use, I reckon they're better than rim brakes, especially so because you can pull on them as much as you like and be happy in the knowledge that you aren't grinding down your rims in the process.  But in dry summer use with nice fresh brake blocks, no they're not as good.

They also squeal horribly, nearly causing an incident when I slowed for a horse recently.   Anyone got any ideas what I can do to quieten them ?   
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
They also squeal horribly, nearly causing an incident when I slowed for a horse recently.   Anyone got any ideas what I can do to quieten them ?   

Mountain bike-fu is to clean the disc (meths), roughen with sandpaper but I find discs always squeal a bit when it is damp...

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:45 pm »
I find discs always squeal a bit when it is damp...

Funnily enough these are fine when it's damp, it's in the dry that they get annoyingly loud.
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:58:48 pm »
Try putting some copper grease on the pads where they meet the caliper body.
Bread of heaven, bread of heaven.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »
That does look very nice.

How does it ride with the disc strength forks?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:27 am »

The ride is superb.  Very smooth and comfortable, but still quite lively for its weight.
Aero but not dynamic

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 12:47:41 pm »

The ride is superb.  Very smooth and comfortable, but still quite lively for its weight.

Was that your Croix de Fer parked at Waitrose (Morningside Road) on Friday evening?

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:49:49 pm »

Was that your Croix de Fer parked at Waitrose (Morningside Road) on Friday evening?

(Sorry for the belated reply, only just seen this)

Nope.  In fact there are quite a few of them about, they're so distinctive you can generally spot them in good enough time to wave and shout 'snap' as you pass  :)
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 10:02:29 pm »
I've put a frame only build together and the disc rotor bolts are snagging on the forks quite badly. Everything is straight and true, and the rotor bolts are shallow Torqz ones.
I have fitted hydros, but that shoudn't be a problem.

Are your tolerances silly tight? I've filled some off but I shouldn't be having to do that. So I'd like to know how tight a fit yours are?
My blog.... www.smilerbiker.blogspot.co.uk

'Pick it up and run'

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 05:15:50 pm »
I've put a frame only build together and the disc rotor bolts are snagging on the forks quite badly. Everything is straight and true, and the rotor bolts are shallow Torqz ones.
I have fitted hydros, but that shoudn't be a problem.

Are your tolerances silly tight? I've filled some off but I shouldn't be having to do that. So I'd like to know how tight a fit yours are?

Yes, pretty tight.  The bolt heads are flush with the disk though so there's no snagging.

(Note the somewhat inelegant- but effective - solution to the mudguard fixing.)
Aero but not dynamic

Gem

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »
Thought I'd chime in here, I've had a Croix de Fer for about a year & have done PBP, the BCM scenic and the rest of an SR series on it.  I've changed the saddle, the cassette for a 12-23, put 25mm tyres on it and the wheels have just been rebuilt.

Pros:  Extremely comfortable, agile & fun to ride, rides well loaded, the components are great.

Cons:  Heavy, flexy fork, the brakes are consistently shite and you can't change them for avid ones due to restrictions on the front mount, the wheels aren't great.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 01:38:50 pm »
Anyone have any more feedback on these?  I'm looking at the latest model which seems to address some of the issues mentioned.

Brakes are BB7
Frame is black
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 09:52:45 pm »
Not the latest model but...

I have now done nearly 9000 miles on my CdF over the last 3 years including 2000 miles so far in 2013.  I have used it offroad on bridleways and bike trails with the original tyres and have also fitted 25mm tyres mostly with mudguards for road riding.  I have used it for social rides, Billy-no-mates rides, audaxes, time trials, club runs (that become races) and on Sunday I am planning on doing my first sportive on it.

Apart from the usual tyres, chains etc I have also had to replace the bottom bracket recently as I managed to fill it with water and left it to corrode.  I have also had to replace the headset - probably for similar reasons (it was a very deep puddle  ;)).  The wheels are still true despite a certain amount of abuse and, although they can take a bit of fiddling, the brakes seem to be good.

The white frame is not good for someone like me who is lazy when it comes to bike cleaning and the newer black ones should be an improvement on that.

I have minimal experience of other road bikes but love my CdF.