Author Topic: Mille Alba 2012 - Brevet Cards update 3rd Oct 2012.....  (Read 147289 times)

Re: Mille Alba 2012 - Game on.
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »
As I live less than ten mins (by bike) from Fordell I can't not offer to help.

Pretty sure I can scare up some of my Sunday riding buddies to pitch in support too.

What a great idea!
Keep on keeping on.

DanialW

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2011, 10:40:42 pm »
Will you be advertising this brevet at PBP?

I doubt he'd need to. This thread is probably enough.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:22:51 pm »

So you wish to narrow the appeal of Audax beyond its current limited microculture  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:49:35 pm »

So you wish to narrow the appeal of Audax beyond its current limited microculture  ???

Probably less to do with narrow appeal and more to do with limited capacity of sleeping, catering etc.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:56:25 pm »
Yes; good point that could have been made.
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »
Oooh perfect!  A Scottish 1000k at about the summer solstice!  The whole thing can be ridden in daylight!  ;D

Are you accepting entries yet?  :P

How fixed friendly is the route, then?  More or less climbing than the Mille Cymru, I wonder.

(Yes, I have gone potty)

Bairn Again

« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »
Mille Alba update.

I've just sent an e-mail to those who offered to help on the event next year with some more details of whats planned.

In summary - the route has been finalised and will be 4 loops (3 large 1 small) all starting and finishing at Fordell Firs Scout Centre near Inverkeithing. 

They are -     

Leg 1 : Fordell - Aberargie - Newport on Tay - Kirkbuddo - Forfar - Banchory - Braemar - Fordell [348km].
Leg 2 : Fordell  - Berwick  - Gala  - Tweedsmuir  - Biggar  - Fordell  [311km]
Leg 3 : Fordell  - Kinbuck - Comrie - Killin - Glen Lyon - Aberfeldy - St David's - Fordell [270km]
Leg 4 : Fordell  - Falkland  - Wester Balgedie  - Kinross  - Fordell  [72km]

Aside from the event HQ, there will be manned controls at Forfar, Galashiels & St David's, run by thegreat and good of Audax Ecosse  :).  We might also have a "Tea Mobile" arrangement soemwhere en route too, depending.   

As the event has to be registered with ACP by early Septemer for BRM purposes its possible that it could be open to entries as early as next next month. 

Thanks to everybody who has offered to help.

Its taking shape. 

Re: Mille Alba 2012
« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »
If PBP goes well, I will definitely be up for this. Always enjoy riding in Scotland! Advance reservation on the sleeper train is surprisingly cheap too...
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2011, 10:39:14 am »
Tickles my fancy a lot!!

But - almost impossible for me to commit in 2011 - might have  dairy clear enough in early 2012 to sign up.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2011, 01:06:03 pm »
It clashes with my 400km event.  Probably just as well, I am going to have an unambitious year in 2012

« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2011, 01:13:19 pm »
I've got preliminary permission to be interested in this. Hopefully the final details won't change that.  :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #36 on: 23 August, 2011, 03:24:12 pm »
This could well be my 'goal' for 2012, given that a stupid old bat in a Peugeot scuppered any chance of me doing PBP this year. If I'm fit enough, I may even do it on fixed1.

However, it's dependent on a) getting the time off work and b) finding someone to share travel costs from the North East/Yorkshire - it's still a bloody long way to Scotland ;)

1 - although my last foray into the Borders sans gears did not end well :(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #37 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »
This could well be my 'goal' for 2012, given that a stupid old bat in a Peugeot scuppered any chance of me doing PBP this year. If I'm fit enough, I may even do it on fixed1.

However, it's dependent on a) getting the time off work and b) finding someone to share travel costs from the North East/Yorkshire - it's still a bloody long way to Scotland ;)

1 - although my last foray into the Borders sans gears did not end well :(

At the risk of commiting myself to doing something stupid, if you enter, I will......
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #38 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:37:23 pm »
At the risk of commiting myself to doing something stupid, if you enter, I will......
Done.
If Deano's up for it, as I imagine he probably will, then we've got ourselves a raiding party ;) It's been far too long since I ventured north of the Border1. Now to plan a few training rides ;D At this stage, my only real worry would be the bit in the Borders - for a f(l)atlander like myself, some of the climbs were truly crucifying, quite unlike the short, sharp shocks you'd get in, say, the Yorkshire Dales.

1 - and I don't mean the one between North Yorkshire and County Durham. The last event I rode in Scotland was one of Duncan Peet's, and I had a monstrous chest infection at the time  :-\

tiermat

« Reply #39 on: 23 August, 2011, 07:38:37 pm »
Will I need my passport? :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #40 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:35:48 pm »

And make sure your vaccinations are up to date  :D

Scoosh

• Happy velocouchiste
« Reply #41 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:39:37 pm »

Done.
If Deano's up for it, as I imagine he probably will, then we've got ourselves a raiding party ;) It's been far too long since I ventured north of the Border1. Now to plan a few training rides ;D At this stage, my only real worry would be the bit in the Borders - for a f(l)atlander like myself, some of the climbs were truly crucifying, quite unlike the short, sharp shocks you'd get in, say, the Yorkshire Dales.

1 - and I don't mean the one between North Yorkshire and County Durham. The last event I rode in Scotland was one of Duncan Peet's, and I had a monstrous chest infection at the time  :-\
The Borders ??  ;D

You'll not have heard of The Highlands, then ?  ???

There's a clue in the name ....

Border hills are described in song as "the rolling hills of the Borders".

The Highland ones are not.   :o
'It takes a wonderful brain and exquisite senses to produce a few stupid ideas'
~ George Santayana

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #42 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:39:57 pm »

Oh I dunno - if you don't have your jabs then there's a greater chance that the midges might end up dropping dead with some unspecified Sassenach lurgy :)

tiermat

« Reply #43 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »

Oh I dunno - if you don't have your jabs then there's a greater chance that the midges might end up dropping dead with some unspecified Sassenach lurgy :)

It's ok, I'm a Yorkshireman, no midgie will be able to bite through my thick skin :)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #44 on: 23 August, 2011, 08:52:11 pm »

Done.

The Borders ??  ;D

You'll not have heard of The Highlands, then ?  ???

There's a clue in the name ....

Border hills are described in song as "the rolling hills of the Borders".

The Highland ones are not.   :o
It comes down to your style of riding - I've ridden much of the route of the Daylight 600, if not the event itself, on 63" fixed and had no real problems apart from a ridiculously spinny descent of Glencoe and the bit  between Strontian and Glenfinnan - more often than not I was able to get myself into a rhythm and just plod away, and the climbs round Ardnamurchan and Knoydart were generally of the 'short sharp' variety I'm used to.

Some people like doing rolling stuff on fixed, but I'm not one of them - having said that, the Border stage is right at the end so chances are that I'll be too tired to give a damn and the nerve endings in my arse and my knees will have given up the fight :)

« Reply #45 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:28:44 pm »
the Border stage is right at the end

It really is a long time since you've ridden an event north of the border ;). You're down the Borders on Leg 2, the rest of the time you remain north of the central belt.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #46 on: 24 August, 2011, 01:30:50 pm »
the Border stage is right at the end

It really is a long time since you've ridden an event north of the border ;). You're down the Borders on Leg 2, the rest of the time you remain north of the central belt.
Ah well, now that I've booked the appropriate time off I've got a bit of time to brush up on my geography ;)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #47 on: 28 August, 2011, 04:12:54 pm »
Seem to be quite a few up for this judging by conversations at PBP - certainly one I'm up for (usual caveats apply!)
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Mille Alba 2012
« Reply #48 on: 28 August, 2011, 04:20:55 pm »
I was planning for the BC to be my main target for next year but this sounds like a potential rival. Hmmmmm...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #49 on: 29 August, 2011, 02:34:56 pm »
Definitely up for this one. When can I enter?  8)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson