Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 237472 times)

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1925 on: February 02, 2020, 07:43:12 pm »
RRTY 3 - If I keep going through the summer. Main event is June so July is crunch month, as typically I see a dip in motivation after main event of year.

Dec - Santa Special 200
Jan - Poor Student 200

My plan for that is to make sure I've got bankers in June so that main event can count as July, since it's very unlikely that less than 200km of it will be ridden in July.

Oh smart hadn’t considered that. So yes maybe a DIY 200 in early June during taper. Might do an overnight 200 so doesn’t impact weekend too much.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #1926 on: February 07, 2020, 09:38:30 am »
DIY from Easingwold yesterday for my February ride (subject to the usual).  Cold and misty start, even my mirror froze up with a layer of frost.  I tried a road that I hadn't used before, Brownmoor lane heading South from Huby.  It is signposted as a dead end, because there is a section of unsurfaced track in the middle, but rideable on a bike.  It turned into a lovely sunny morning as I travelled across the Wolds and down to Beverley.  And quite a few snowdrops flowring in the verges.

Then a utilitarian but tedious slog along a flat road from South / North Cave to Howden - this must have been the main road, before the motorway was built.  So wide, reasonably quiet, and plenty of options for refreshments.

By the time I got to Selby it was school run time, with the usual crazy parking and clogged up roads outside the schools.  And in the Tadcaster area, the rush hour resulted in streams of drivers going as fast as possible to get home a few minutes sooner.  Where, no doubt, they cracked open a tinny and slumped in front of the telly watching some inane game show ...  'Best' example was at a roundabout at Thorpe Arch business Park.  Left lane signed and marked as turn left into the industrial estate.  Right lane for going straight on.  However the driver behind me couldn't wait a few seconds, so went into the left turn lane; undertook me on the roundabout; and cut in front of me on the exit.  On the plus side, the resulting annoyance gave my legs a bit of impetus for the next few miles.

Quieter once I got further North, across the increasingly rattly planks of the Aldwark toll bridge and back to Easingwold.  By this time it was dark again and the temperature rapidly dropping so I was relieved to finish.

« Reply #1927 on: February 11, 2020, 12:03:06 pm »
First RRtY, subject to DIY validation and cross validation. My honour is vaguely disquieted by having had an easy time of it climate wise (British summer and Japanese winter both milder than the converse) and by relying on a couple of rather flat DIYs (though in my defense, Japan doesn't do calendar events in November/December, and I'm signed up for one at the end of February). But very much glad to have got it done. Will certainly try to keep this one rolling - indeed I'm vaguely tempted to aim for two this year.

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #1928 on: February 11, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »
First RRtY, subject to DIY validation and cross validation. My honour is vaguely disquieted by having had an easy time of it climate wise (British summer and Japanese winter both milder than the converse) and by relying on a couple of rather flat DIYs (though in my defense, Japan doesn't do calendar events in November/December, and I'm signed up for one at the end of February). But very much glad to have got it done. Will certainly try to keep this one rolling - indeed I'm vaguely tempted to aim for two this year.

Nothing wrong with flat DIYs.  This RRtY is addictive - getting five of these is the next objective.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1929 on: February 11, 2020, 07:27:57 pm »

Nothing wrong with flat DIYs.  This RRtY is addictive - getting five of these is the next objective.

If there was some of us would be screwed...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1930 on: February 11, 2020, 07:32:44 pm »
11 out of 12 completed for my first RRtY. I hadn't realised they could run concurrently or I could have been halfway through a second.

I made this mistake too. Had I realised and done an extra 200 DIY in one month, I would have got 2...

Am trying to decide if I wanna try a second RRtY. I've got 5/12ths of an AUK attempt, and 4/12ths of a RNL attempt.

I've kinda ended up doing it again. I'm now at 8/12 using just Dutch Calendar events. Last month will be June, which basically gives me a choice of trying to do the Monday event on 1st of June in Belgium, or risking it all on the 300 from Boekelo 2 weeks later.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 31 up
« Reply #1931 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:21 pm »
I would recommend riding a qualifier as early in the month as possible, so go for 1 Jun. You could then ride the 300 as your 1st ride of another series or a continuation ride if you have other linking rides. I am quite nervy towards the end of a series; been there just a few times when the early ride allows you to relax and the late ride brings on the sweats.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100 21 Mar 20.

« Reply #1932 on: February 12, 2020, 11:08:55 pm »
Do the 200 if you want to do the 200, otherwise skip it and have an extra incentive to finish the 300.

I’ve never really liked that RRTY (inadvertently) encourages making your rides as boring as possible.