Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia  (Read 24888 times)

Re: Inguinal Hernia
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2020, 10:33:58 am »
Letter from the hospital arrived yesterday with an online appointment to see a physio. For today!  :o And not the physio that the consultant had requested.  ::-)

I remain unconvinced how a physio is going to be able to assess my hip mobility over zoom. He's going to have to be pretty spectacular, given 2 other physios have been unable to fix it over the course of months, even with in person appointments. I'm missing riding my bike again now, and my fitness must be terrible. Also, the local gym still hasn't opened, and I can't see that happening any time soon given we keep dipping into the amber Covid region.

Edit - actually, it was useful, and he seemed properly focussed on getting me back on my bike. More exercises and stretches, but with the aim of doing more contract-relax stuff than simply just trying to make the muscle stronger/longer, which makes loads more sense.

« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2020, 05:03:22 pm »
I had another virtual physio appointment yesterday. I'm clearly getting loads stronger, as I can do more reps even though using a swiss ball has made them more difficult.
However, it doesn't feel like my hip/groin has got any better. :( As a result I now have an in-person appointment in 2 weeks.

I might try riding my bike if the weather isn't crap this weekend and see if it's as bad as I think it's going to be. I no longer miss riding them, every so often I consider selling up, but it's not like I can do some other sport if my hip is like this.
The most frustrating thing is that after over a year, 2 GPs, 2 consultants (one virtual), 3 physios, an ultrasound and an MRI  - still no-one has an explanation. Makes me wonder if it's pain referred from somewhere else that they haven't looked at. I'll see what the physio thinks of that idea when I see him.

« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2020, 01:46:52 pm »
I tried a gentle pootle of a ride yesterday.
It was nice and sunny, the views were lovely and the wind didn't bother me too much. :) My hip/psoas did though - initially just over 200W, and toward the end of a 30 minute ride if I was over 150 for any length of time. :(
I can't ride like that - it's just soul destroying to shift down and crawl up little rises that I want to just blast up in the big ring. I don't know exactly how much fitness I've lost over the last 5 months (I didn't do any efforts at all), but it doesn't make much difference at this point. And just to emphasise the point, it bothered me for the rest of the day. :(

« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2020, 09:35:00 am »
Sorry to read this Duncan.

« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2020, 10:54:09 am »
It was nice and sunny, the views were lovely and the wind didn't bother me too much. :) My hip/psoas did though - initially just over 200W, and toward the end of a 30 minute ride if I was over 150 for any length of time. :(
I can't ride like that - it's just soul destroying to shift down and crawl up little rises that I want to just blast up in the big ring. I don't know exactly how much fitness I've lost over the last 5 months (I didn't do any efforts at all), but it doesn't make much difference at this point. And just to emphasise the point, it bothered me for the rest of the day. :(

I'm in the same boat, but kayaking rather than cycling. Last year; good sprint speed, good endurance. Now? Absolutely pathetic.

We need to give ourselves time for the fitness to come back. It will return faster than it took to originally build up, but will take time. I'd encourage you (me?) to stick to tempo rides for a month.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2020, 11:14:00 am »

I'm in the same boat, but kayaking rather than cycling. Last year; good sprint speed, good endurance. Now? Absolutely pathetic.

We need to give ourselves time for the fitness to come back. It will return faster than it took to originally build up, but will take time. I'd encourage you (me?) to stick to tempo rides for a month.
I can live with being slow and building up the fitness, but the fitness is not the problem (at no point was I breathing hard). I stopped riding in May because it felt like it was making my injury worse (even Traditional Base), and it's still the same 5 months of physio later. I have an in person appointment a week tomorrow, so we'll have to see what the next steps are at that point.

« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2020, 09:05:19 am »
Physio appointment this morning was in person, so actually useful!
He was able to recreate the pain I get by providing resistance for me to pull my knee against. After some other physical test and a little discussion, he was then able to do the same thing, but applying extra force to hold my hip in the middle of the join - this meant that I could do the same thing with no pain!
So I have to continue the stretches etc, but I have more specific exercises to strengthen the glutes, so they can pull against the hip flexor and hold the head of the femur in the middle of the hip socket. It's the most believable theory about what is going on so far. So fingers crossed my exercises will actually make a difference and when I go back in January it will be improved.

« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2020, 09:27:51 am »
That's good news Duncan.

My wife recently tore her gluteus medius (badly enough to warrant morphine, and a green and yellow taxi to A&E for assessment) It's the hip adductor muscle, which sounds similar to your injury.  Subsequently she's had physio (fortunately paid for by my company health insurance, and all face to face at a sports physio practice) to strengthen her glutes.  The supposition is that, post hip replacement 15 years ago, she avoided painful exercises (no shit, Sherlock!) which has led to systemic weakness.

The good thing is that she gets a consultation every three weeks, and the physio gives her a new set of exercises to stave off boredom. Plus she gets to do "oyster" in her usual weekly Pilates class, no more slacking!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2020, 11:57:34 am »
Back to actual hernias.

UHND don't talk to JCUH so I've had to start again, with ultrasound.

"Does it sometimes go in by itself?" she asked when failing to find an inguinal hernia.

"Yes. Last time they said it was spigelian" I said... so she moved her search and started clicking away for snapshots.

(She then went on to ask why James Cook hadn't operated. "I'm too fat". "oooohhhh, they're waiting for it to strangulate. That's nice for you.")

This latest consultant said it was absolutely fine to do weightlifting or indeed anything, so I have been.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!