Author Topic: Wrist Intersection Syndrome  (Read 12605 times)

simonp

Wrist Intersection Syndrome
« on: 16 May, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »
It seems that Humpdoc (and colleagues) has self-diagnosed as having this after the BCM, and I see to have the right symptoms too.

Wrist Anatomy

It’s caused by repeated resisted wrist flexion extension - such as experienced when pulling on the bars cycling up lots of hills on fixed gear.

The site suggests 4-6 weeks for improvement.  I really hope it doesn’t take that long.  It’s pretty sore at the moment and basic things like typing are a bit uncomfortable.  I’ll probably switch back to mousing right-handed at work (for posture reasons I’ve been doing left-handed).

Other than the obvious icing + stuff, is a wrist splint a good idea, and where’s the best place to get one?

Re: Wrist Intersection Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »
Yikes, that sounds kinda sore. Hope it gets better for you faster than they suggest  :o

Simonb

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:45:55 pm »
Can you think of some specific exercise which might strengthen the wrist?

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:47:49 pm »
Can you think of some specific exercise which might strengthen the wrist?

Isn't it a tendon sheath injury though so not strength related?

Simonb

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:48:31 pm »
::-)

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:55:13 pm »

:P

Repetitive actions like you suggest would exacerbate it.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:13:39 pm »

yebbut it could take your mind off the pain, even if only temporarily  ;D

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:47:02 pm »

I can’t hold a plate in my left hand let alone spank anything.

>:(

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2011, 10:52:50 pm »
It seems to be a toss-up whether it'll heal in time for the next event.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2011, 12:41:33 am »

I can’t hold a plate in my left hand let alone wank anything.

>:(

FTFY!!

Srsly it's an overuse problem.
Avoid provocation. Keep wrist as still and stiff as you can. Get a splint if possible; they might be available  at a local pharmacy. They are easy enough to get online.

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-1899-futuro-reversible-splint-wrist-brace-large-190-229cm.aspx

NSAIDs like ibuprofen (Vitamin I) are very helpful for conditions like these. Use quite a lot if you can for a few days.

GWS!

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:55:46 pm »
I avoid oral NSAIDs as I'm prone to excess stomach acid.  Am using topical ibuprofen on it, ice, and I've got a tubular support for now.

Am having it assessed tomorrow to see what else to do.  Swelling and redness have reduced a bit, but it's still about the same level of pain: as long as I keep it still, it's fine, but any movement of the wrist towards the thumb is a problem.

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:57:44 pm »
I avoid oral NSAIDs as I'm prone to excess stomach acid.  Am using topical ibuprofen on it, ice, and I've got a tubular support for now.

Am having it assessed tomorrow to see what else to do.  Swelling and redness have reduced a bit, but it's still about the same level of pain: as long as I keep it still, it's fine, but any movement of the wrist towards the thumb is a problem.

Maybe you should consider putting that arm in a sling to totally force yourself not to use it for a few days?
Otherwise it's really hard to stop yourself doing things with it, I've been having that problem resting my right hand, especially since it's my mouse hand!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:01:46 pm »
Rest
Compression
Ice
ELEVATION!

Keep your hand as high as you can.

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:41:44 pm »
Rest
Compression
Ice
ELEVATION!

Oh dear. We're getting into Dr Strangelove territory.

« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:35:33 am »
ELEVATION!

Plenty of Elevation on the Irish Mail and K&SW Simon...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:19:21 pm »
Physio agrees I have a tenosynovitis. She wasn't more specific than that. My shoulder is taped up again. I'm out of the IM but may still be on for the Kernow. Damn!.

« Reply #16 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »
Physio agrees I have a tenosynovitis. She wasn't more specific than that. My shoulder is taped up again. I'm out of the IM but may still be on for the Kernow. Damn!.

:( GWS

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »
I'm not allowed to ride a bike at all at the moment. But the real killer is not being certain of having an excuse to skip the KSW as with treatment I may be ok to ride. :)

(Swimming is out too. And the rowing machine no doubt.). I can maybe run, but not sure that's a good idea. Also, recumbent bikes are a possibility for the short term.

simonp

« Reply #18 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »
Got me a splint from Boots. Keeps my wrist extended so unloading the sore tendons and muscles.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »
This sounds similar to my symptoms. Very poor pinch grip on the right hand, pain if gripping and twisting. Pain onthe edge of the wrist as per the de Quervains image above. Currently using a not very good wrist splint (may investigate a better one). Typing is not a problem - don't think it is carpal tunnel syndrome.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

simonp

« Reply #20 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:06:51 pm »
RICE. If you have trouble gripping then you may have nerve damage. My grip is limited by pain rather than weakness.

« Reply #21 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:08:46 pm »
It sounds like David might have something more similar to me, which helly thinks is median nerve palsy. I also lack a pinch grip and strength to do certain motions.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:34:34 pm »
Pinch grip is an ulnar nerve function.
Typing mostly uses the long finger flexors and extensors, innervated way above the wrist.
The median nerve supplies mostly sensory function to the thumb, index and middle finger.
Simon and David's problems sound tendon sheath related, not due to squished nerves.

« Reply #23 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:41:09 pm »
Typing mostly uses the long finger flexors and extensors, innervated way above the wrist.
The median nerve supplies mostly sensory function to the thumb, index and middle finger.
Simon and David's problems sound tendon sheath related, not due to squished nerves.

Ah sorry whoops I got it wrong.
In my defence, my patients don't have hands. Hands and feet are the one area of anatomy where humans and animals are vastly different  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:51:51 pm »

Ah sorry whoops I got it wrong.
In my defence, my patients don't have hands. Hands and feet are the one area of anatomy where humans and animals are vastly different  ;D

Well yes, this opposable thumb lark meant we humans could get up to all kinds of tricks... Paws that are merely boots neither have nor need much finesse.