Author Topic: brompton 3 speed hub cone adjustment  (Read 1045 times)

brompton 3 speed hub cone adjustment
« on: 18 May, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »
Had some time at the weekend and decided to strip my SA S-RF3 hub for the first time (first time for me and the hub). Followed a combination of instructions from Sheldon Brown and the SA technical sheet. Put everything back together (splines, ratchets bearing etc.. all looked ok; over 10,000 km use) and fitted a new trigger shifter and gear cable.

Cable adjustment seems fine; smooth, quick changes between all gears. However, in high gear (3rd) if I freewheel at anything over walking pace the pedals turn (ths doesn't occur in the 2nd gear). According to Sheldon this results from an overtight left or right cone. I was v careful in adjusting the right cone to ensure it wasn't binding the mechanism and backed off from finger tight about 3/8 of a turn. Adjusted the left hand cone to what I thought was a near imperceptible amount of play. Re-did this a couple of times after seeing the pedals rotate, to the point when play at the hub was more than I'd usually accept for a hub (without improvement). Also, and I don't know if it's related, if I freewheel in 3rd gear, the adjuster cable rattles enough to make a noise (again, doesn't do this in 2nd gear).

Any help appreciated.