Author Topic: Not the Portmahomack 400  (Read 11833 times)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Not the Portmahomack 400
« on: 04 June, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »

Long story short:  I entered the Portmahomack 400km audax, on 30 April this year, but didn't ride it.  I'd been ill beforehand and hadn't really recovered enough.  It's a particularly audacious audax (well, I think so) starting out from some 40 miles N of Inverness and heading over to the W coast, up to Durness, along the N coast for a while then wending its way back S again.  There's a thread here about the event, for instance.

So, rather than attempt to ride it in 27 hours when not fully fit, I thought I'd ride it a month later, a tad more slowly.  In a fortnight, in fact. With camping gear, and a camera, and stuff.  Well, I've never been further north than Ullapool before, so I wanted to savour the experience.

So I did.  In a couple of days short of a fortnight in the end, cos the weather didn't exactly encourage lazing on sun-kissed golden sands, or easy walks on balmy hilltops - or even cycling or camping at times.  But it was great.  Grand as owt.  There were so many times I just stood gazing and thinking "What a fantastic place!"

Longer version follows, in instalments cos I've just got back to virtually the first sunshine and calm weather I've seen in 2 weeks and I've no intention of missing it by sitting inside typing!  It's a bit picture-heavy, so I'll keep 'em small:  bigger, better-quality versions, and others besides, are here, or click on the individual pics.  Took lots of photos 'cos I enjoy it - when I did YLGs Mull It Over 300 earlier this year I deliberately left the camera behind, knowing that if I didn't I'd be stopping every mile or so for a pic and never make the time limit.  Well, I made up for it on this one, in both number of photos and exceeding the time limit...

billplumtree

Re: Not the Portmahomack 400
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

Day 0.  Kendal - Inverness  20 miles (of riding)

Up early, to check I'd got all my tickets.  Ask for a return to Inverness for self and bike and you get handed a small cardboard box with all this lot:

I was going on Veronique, my audax bike, after EasyJet murdered my tourer last year.  She's a bit under-wheeled for camping, with 32-spoke Open Pros, but I squeezed some Conti Top Touring 32 tyres in and spread the load with panniers on the front as well as the rear.  Call me sad, but these low-rider racks are the sexiest bit of bike kit I've bought for ages.

Fully loaded, and waiting for the train at Oxenholme:

The train journey passed easily enough, though the fresh snow on the Cairngorms was mildly worrying.  I was kinda hoping for a bit warmer than that.  We left Inverness around 3pm for an easy 10 miles along the Beauly Firth

to, er, Beauly, and the very handy campsite at Lovat Bridge.  There was a fair breeze blowing, but plenty of shelter available under the trees.

So far so good :-)

billplumtree

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2011, 07:39:21 pm »

Day 1, Sat 21.  Beauly - Ullapool  50 miles

Well, that was a bit of a chilly night.  Woke partway through it and added my duvet jacket to: 2 pairs of socks, trackies, wool base layer and wool cycling jersey, and then I was warm enough.  Slept soundly after that until 7.30, then breakfasted in the warm sun and off at 9. 

Mostly upwards, and mostly in a cross-wind from the SW.  Across the Blackwater River - there's been a bit of rain around, then.

Lots of new bridges about, and while they may be functional and not especially pretty they do at least often provide a good viewpoint for the old, more elegant bridges they replace.

Stopped briefly after Garve at a tea-shed for that great Scottish vegetarian delicacy, a fried tattie scone in a roll with brown sauce, then carried on upwards into the drizzle.  And when the Altguish Inn emerged from it a while later, at the halfway point and more-or-less the high point, it was quite obviously dinnertime.  A pint and a mushroom & melted chees bun:  this shows every sign of becoming A Grand Culinary Tour.

Back out into a dreich afternoon, and along the road past Loch Droma

to Braemore Junction, where the rain got a lot heavier.  R for Ullapool, so a wet but wind-assisted final 12 miles.  Just over the last brae and it appears through the mist, Shangri-La like (well, a bit)

I was dripping wet, but still had a big grin on my face when I arrived, having just completed my first Scottish coast-to-coast for a long time.  Even better, the weather cleared so I could pitch in a dry spell.  Took my time to find a good spot, sheltered from the SW wind but still with a bit of a view - not difficult, it wasn't exactly busy.

Ate out, and found a weather forecast for Sunday:  "Severe gales, heavy rain, blizzard conditions on the hills".  And even worse for Monday.  Ah.  Maybe I'll just stay here for a couple of days then, and sit it out in my sheltered corner.  Ullapool's a nice spot anyway, I'm happy to drink coffee and eat shortbread for 2 days here. 

So I settled down to enjoy the last calm evening for a while, and listened to the cuckoo across the loch as the wind dropped.

billplumtree

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:28:20 pm »

Day 2, Sun 22.  Just Ullapool  0 miles

Dozed until 8 (well, it's Sunday) and woke to the sound of the cuckoo.  The money collector came round the site at 9 - collected from the campervans and caravans, but completely ignored me.  Maybe he'd seen the forecast and felt sorry for me? 

Passed the morning with a walk on the shore

There had been an art exhibition on.  I think this might have been art.  I liked it anyway.

Bought shortbread (you have to, it's the law), and drank coffee - there are some damn good caffs in Ullapool.  The Ceilidh Place, in particular, gets a special mention:  either they have exactly the same music collection as I do, or they have something clever that tells them what's on their customers iPods...

Got chips for dinner, with the idea of sitting on the harbour wall with them.  Instead, sprinted back to my tent through a squall with them.  The first of many - from inside, it was like having huge buckets of water thrown at your tent while someone tried to push it flat onto the ground.  My sheltered-from-the-SW corner was a bit lacking once the wind turned to the NW.

So, I finished my chips while holding the tent up from the inside with my spare hand, head, shoulders, back.  Packed up my bags, so that if it did blow away I wouldn't lose everything else as well.  But when the tent next door (a better one than mine) tore, so did my nerve - I packed up in the next dry interval and retreated to the pub.  Which had, in order, beer (good), a weather forecast (grim), and a room (vacant).

And what a room!  A cosy little attic room looking out onto the harbour.  The first thing that slaps you across the face when you open the door is the window:

The second thing is the speed with which the view out of the window changes.  I just sat on the bed in the warm and dry, enjoying the view over the gorgeous harbour and up the loch, watching the squalls come in and clear, over and over again.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:33:14 pm »
Oh dear... I think I might be starting to hate you.  Just a little bit....  ;)

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:38:22 pm »
Nice, one, Bill.

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »
Excellent stuff. Is that a Coleman Bedrock perchance?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

billplumtree

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2011, 09:12:54 pm »
Is that a Coleman Bedrock perchance?

The tent?  No, it's a Wynnster Mosquito 2, about 8 years old now.  I've never seen another one in all that time.  Don't know what that tells you about them...

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »
'Cor Coleman must have the blue print..........
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

billplumtree

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »

Day 3, Mon 23.  Still Ullapool  5 miles - walking

What with all the rain on the roof through the night, sleeping in my wee attic room was a bit like camping, only in warmth and comfort.  Breakfast was a bit meagre though, a sort of tattie scone and mushroom nouvelle cuisine.  Todays forecast:  "Near-hurricane force winds with gusts to 90 mph, torrential rain".  That's a direct quote.  I was hoping to ride to Achiltibuie, and I'm daft enough to do it - but I ain't camping in that!

So off to Tourist Information.  If they can find me a B&B, I'll ride there - was the deal I made with myself.  I now know all the landladies on the Coigach peninsula by name, and have spoken to 'em all on the phone.  Mrs Wilding?  No, sorry, try Mrs Draper on 217.  No, but you could try Mrs Mackenzie, 212.  Sorry, try Mrs Macleod, 219.  Sorry - have you tried Mrs Mackenzie, 212?  Well, have you tried the other Mrs Mackenzie, 221?

All full, of soggy campers probably.  Plan B it is then:  stay in Ullapool.  Again.  Even that proved difficult, but I eventually found a nautically-themed B&B with a model boat in each window.  And, in the garage, a fantastic purple Vitus-framed bike (70s or what?) and a Harley Roadster in gold trim...

This took most of the morning to sort out.  In the afternoon, which turned out drier and ridiculously windy, I went for a walk up Beinn Eilideach (the hill overlooking Ullapool).  Since the distant scenery was invisible, I took photos of that closer at hand.

Now, even I know what those are.  Anyone recognise this one though?

(sorry, rubbish focus on that.  It was in a Force 9, OK?  And the leaves are more interesting than the flower anyway)

From the top of the hill, I could see - er, not much really, except the next curtain of rain coming in.  Ran back down ( I knew those fell-running shoes were worth bringing) but didn't even come close to beating it back to the B&B.  Change and out to the pub for beer and food and a power cut.  And finding out that John Otway is on at that very pub the following night.  Not only Otway, but Otway AND Wild Willy Barrett.  Oh bloody hell, I'm going to have to stay another night now!

To be continued...

billplumtree

« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2011, 09:23:48 pm »
'Cor Coleman must have the blue print..........

Blimey, I think you're right.  Seems identical apart from having PVC windows and fibreglass poles.  And being a third of the price I paid  :'(

CrinklyLion

« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:38:11 am »
...Not only Otway, but Otway AND Wild Willy Barrett.  Oh bloody hell, I'm going to have to stay another night now!

I still reckon that a cyclecamping trip where you end up neither cycling nor camping must qualify as a rather fine example of a Silly_Bike_Adventure  ;)

billplumtree

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2011, 10:21:21 am »

Day 4, Tue 24.  Ullapool - Altandhu  35 miles

Much better breakfast today.  Landlord had been sailing around Mull for the last couple of days.  Sailing!  In this weather!  Respect.  After a bit of sober reflection, I had decided to just get on and ride today - needed to get out of my comfort zone.  As Crinkly Lion helpfully points out, this cycle-camping trip was a bit short on both cycling and camping at this stage...  So I forsook Otway and Barrett (forgive me John, Willy?), got the 'key' for the garage door (which was, simply, the door handle - just take it off at night), and wobbled off northwards in the howling W wind.

Got 2 miles up the road to Ardmair before the first ludicrous buckets-of-water squall struck.  I managed to shelter from it at the campsite there, and thought about going back to Ullapool.  Even set off in that direction for 100 yards before giving myself a good talking to, MTFU, turning round and getting on with it.  Waved a fond farewell to my comfort zone - god knows when I'll see that again - and plodded off up the hill, leaning sideways into the wind.

A few miles saw me at Drumrunie, the turn-off for Achiltibuie, and gave the first glimpse of Stac Pollaidh

(in the middle; a bit of Ben Mor Coigach on the left, Cul Beag on the right).  Progress was slow into the now-headwind, but the lovely single-track road was almost deserted and the scenery was stunning, with Ben Mor on the left

and Stac Pollaidh directly ahead

The road skirts round the right of the loch and passes underneath Stac Pollaidh

and this 15-mile stretch after leaving the main road took 3 hours to cover, what with the wind, photo stops,

and sheltering from the worst of the weather

Eventually, I reached the top of the hill above Altandhu, and turned the corner to be greeted by a wonderful view, regardless of the weather, over the Summer Isles:

A quick swoop down the hill to the Am Fuaran bar.  "Can I book into the campsite please?"  "Aye, just go down there and I'll meet you in the foyer."  Foyer?  It has a foyer?!  Yep.  Brand new, immaculate toilet/shower/washing-up block has a glass-fronted foyer, with tables and chairs and wireless interwebs, overlooking the beach.  I grabbed a sheltered pitch, sacrificing a view for comfort

and headed out to ride down the coast to Achiltibuie in on-off rain and gales.

Unable to find the Coigach Piping College cafe, I settled for a quick'un at the Summer Isles Hotel, then back to the tent for tea and a walk on the beach.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2011, 10:35:27 am »
Jealous I am.... but in a good way. 

billplumtree

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2011, 11:21:46 am »

Day 5, Wed 25.  Altandhu - Clachtoll  30 miles

Slept well, in my little secluded bay, and woke to a soft drizzly morning.  Left at 9 in mere normal levels of wind.  Bit chilly though, I was wearing: shorts, legwarmers, kneewarmers, overshoes, wool jersey, goretex, wool cap.  A view of the campsite:

You can see the single campervan, and just make out a small group of tents to the left of it, almost on the beach.  Didn't get a pic of the foyer, I'm afraid.

About 8 miles across the Aird of Coigach, with cracking views of the other-worldly hills

then a left turn onto the gorgeous, gorgeous road to Lochinver.  Tiny single-track, twisty-turny uppy-downy - who cares about a bit of rain?  Part of Jaded's best 100km in the country, and I ain't gonna argue with that.

More close-up scenery - a good excuse for stopping halfway up a steep hill in the rain

10 glorious miles of hills, views, lochans, burns, inlets, sandy bays later, you arrive at Inverkirkaig.  More precisely, at Achins wonderful bookshop and cafe.  Well, it would be rude not to, wouldn't it?  So I did, and they were very understanding about me dripping all over the floor.  Then quickly into Lochinver and civilisation and the famous pie shop for dinner.

Left out of Lochinver onto another twisty up&down road that goes round the coast through Drumbeg.

I resisted the temptations of the shop and chippie at the Achmelvich campsite just out of Lochinver, for the more spartan charms of Clachtoll Beach 6 miles further on up this road.  Lovely place, the owners can't do enough for you.  Flowers and pictures in the toilet/shower block

and I had to fend the chickens off my ginger cake

I also discovered that all the gear-changing on the uppy-downy roads all day had worn through the fingers in my gloves...

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

It's Butterwort.
Butterwort (Common)
You generally find it in peaty flushes, as it is a carnivorous plant that's adapted for low-nutrient-status soils.
I'm glad you enjoyed the trip, I've been feeling a bit guilty about giving the impression of a sunny North-West Scotland. Every shop in that area used to sell Kodachrome, now they all have memory cards in case you run out of photo-capture space. If the weather was always good I don't think people would keep going back as much, it varies from minute to minute up there. It's also like going back in time, people are so thinly spread that it's like a Lake District or Dales valley where everyone knows everyone else, but spread over a thousand square kilometres.

billplumtree

« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2011, 12:33:40 pm »

Day 6, Thu 26.  Clachtoll   15 miles (and a few walking)

Cold night - could see my breath when I woke up.  And a wet and windy morning.  I'd planned to stay here for 2 nights, so was in no rush to get up and just dozed for a while to the soporific sound of the rain on the tent.  Breakfast at 9, then my neighbours took pity on me and fed me tea and cake in their campervan.  Their warm, dry campervan.  With a fan heater.  On.  Oh, what decadent luxury!  They'd been coming to the site faithfully for 20-odd years and loved it.  Turned out they were from Penrith and their daughter lives 5 miles from me just outside Kendal.  I must have looked a bit fed up, 'cos they even offered me a lift back home the following day  :D

Dragged myself away from the heater eventually, and rode up to Stoer

then on even tinier lanes, past more sandy bays - lots of dramatic grey, but there's definitely a hint of turquoise in the sea and gold in the sand

To The Lighthouse :-)

and the tea van

where my reward for a 6-mile fight with the headwind was freshly-cooked scotch pancakes and hot choc.  Apparently I missed the dolphins frolicking in the bay by one day.  In fact, wildlife-spotting wasn't going terribly well, though I did have a carniverous plant to show for it (thanks Damon and phil d).

Freewheeled virtually all the way back to the campsite, past some nutter walking on the beach in the pouring rain

then, er, went for a walk on the beach.  Past the old (though last used as recently as 1994) salmon fishers bothy

to the rather older broch

which, when you crawl inside, is full of sea-pinks

Back again, over the huge sloping rock slabs

A quick spot of rear spoke-tightening and wheel-trueing - the only bit of maintenance needed throughout - before, it being Thursday, the weekly fish & chip van arrived :-)  Followed by a lazy evening in the tent reading, wrapped in duvet jacket and sleeping bag while it drizzled gently outside.

This instalment's identification question (clue: it's not a plant)

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:05:42 pm »
Mackerel skin?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 05 June, 2011, 01:42:26 pm »
I have to say BP that there is a problem with those fantastic pics.:they give me itchy feet spd's.

billplumtree

« Reply #19 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:33:44 pm »
Mackerel skin?

Oh, good effort!  But no.  Nowhere near  :)

billplumtree

« Reply #20 on: 05 June, 2011, 02:40:22 pm »

Day 7, Fri 27.  Clachtoll - Scourie   30 miles

Slept better.  Found that if I wear my wooly hat I don't wake up halfway down my sleeping bag...  A distinct absence of cuckoo this morning, for the first time since Ullapool.  Tea in bed at 8, off at 10 - it consistently takes me 2 hours to get away in the mornings, and I haven't a clue where it all goes.  Blue patches showing between the clouds, and very pleasant indeed to set off without an over-proof coat on:  no rain, and a brisk SW wind is in just the right direction.

Twisty-turny, uppy-downy, lochans, inlets, beaches:  same old same old, and just as delightful.  Clashnessie:

Into Drumbeg after 8 miles.  Better stop at the coffee shop, you never know how long it'll be until the next one.  And a very nice one it is too, in a wee garden behind the pottery shop.  The cuckoo put in its appearance here, and the woman in the coffee shop claimed it was the only one in Assynt.  Well if it is, the bugger's followed me all the way from Ullapool!

Wildlife count so far:  1 butterwort, at least 1 cuckoo (heard but never seen).  This sign gave me some hope of improving on that tally:

but I wasn't quite desperate enough to start including sheep just yet.

Continued along the Drumbeg roller-coaster, with this kind of thing continuously

for another 10 miles.  I walked up the hill from where I took this pic, cos I was sure that if I rode up something would give - chain, freewheel pawls, spokes, tendon...  Eventually arrived back on the main road (about 20 miles north of where I'd left it on Tuesday morning) at Kylesku.  Seeing as it's dinnertime, a pint in the Kylesku Hotel followed by oatcakes and apple under the bridge.  Was the plan, but the bar was so warm and welcoming, and the food smelled so good, and I have no willpower.  Very nice place, can recommend it.  Just outside, by the old ferry slipway:

Any bridge-lovers reading, if you don't want to know the score look away now.  Round the corner is this concrete monstrosity:

I mean, OK, so they've given it a graceful curve.  But it's still a concrete brutality on stilts, in an otherwise lovely spot where the sense of isolation was previously enhanced by having to cross by ferry.  IMHO, obviously, and I have no doubt that the locals see it differently.  Anyway, my map still has it as a ferry crossing (it was built in 1984, but I do like to get value for money from my maps), so I can pretend it isn't there.

Onward, with the wind now a crosswind and the rain (which started while I was in the hotel) getting heavier.
That bloody cuckoo took me by surprise by making that bloody cuckoo noise from a lone roadside tree right into my ear and nearly had me off.  When the road turned upwards and the rain got even heavier, a rodside verge full of Early Purple orchids (I believe) made a good excuse to stop

and 10 miles of rain further on, the campsite at Scourie made an even better excuse to stop.  Nice friendly bloke, not at all like the notices around the site might suggest.  He didn't mind me dripping on his floor (there may be a theme developing here...), and suggested a good sheltered spot out of the worst of the wind.

Tent up, shower, faff, tea (beans & cheese on tattie scones - delicious, if I say so myself).  Another wild and wet evening made me glad of the shelter from the wall.

billplumtree

« Reply #21 on: 05 June, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »

Day 8, Sat 28.  Scourie - Durness   25 miles

Woke up at 2am and had to nip outside the tent briefly, as you do.  Bloody cold, but well worth it to see the dark-as-it-gets twilight and the almost luminescent sea.  Tea in bed in the morning, seeing as it's the weekend, then talked to German student neighbours over breakfast.

It's funny how folk seem to think you're some kind of superhero.  I'm just riding my bike, for heaven's sake, and lazily at that - averaging less than 30 miles a day on good roads with a tailwind, I'm having a great time!

Off at 10 with a huge SW tailwind and, for 30 minutes anyway, the luxury of no overproofs.  Single-track again after Laxford Bridge, and the surroundings just got bleaker and bleaker. 

(a hill, in Scotland.  Which might be Foinaven, although that could have moved since 1984)

In fact, I had to recalibrate the max setting on my bleakometer several times.

Round about here, the howling wind was blowing curtains of rain across the landscape and I had to take shelter from another buckets-of-water squall.  At least shelter's easier to find when the rain is horizontal.  Stood at the roadside behind a rock for a good 20 minutes this time, grinning inanely at groups of passing motorcyclists in my best cycling ambassador no-actually-I'm-really-enjoying-this way.  Even with this delay, and without having to do much actual pedalling, I reached the Kyle of Durness in no time at all

and flew along it and into Durness itself.  Even though it was only just 12, and I'd only covered 25 miles, I stopped here - just because I wanted to stay in Durness, really.  So I found the campsite, on top of the cliffs above Sango Bay.

Pitched in the most sheltered (ie not very) spot I could find, and had cuppa soup with oatcake croutons.  While holding the tent up with my head, etc.  Stuck it out for an hour or so, eventually decided it was just daft, and packed up again and retreated.  As I was packing up, a couple arrived in a car and attempted to pitch next to me.  I offered them a hand, but they declined, gave up and drove away on the grounds that it was a "bloody stupid idea".  I wasn't about to disagree.

Bunkhouse was full (of disgruntled would-be campers), but I found a B&B - not identifiably unpleasant, but functional at best.  At least it wasn't going to blow down in the night.  Dropped my kit off and went for a walk in fantastic sun-rain-sun-rain weather.  Gorgeous green sea, big surf, gloriously deserted beach.  Heaven.

« Reply #22 on: 05 June, 2011, 04:13:15 pm »
I reckon the flower is Northern Marsh Orchid.
Northern Marsh-orchid - Western Isles Wildflowers
Where you pitched the tent at Scourie is the best place on the British mainland to hear Corncrakes.
The mountain is Ben Stack, where Robin Cook died in August 2005.
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Former minister Robin Cook dies

billplumtree

« Reply #23 on: 05 June, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »

Damn!  Early Purple is about the only orchid I can identify.  Or so I thought.

The mountain is Ben Stack, where Robin Cook died in August 2005.

Ah.  That figures, from the map.  But I still think they might have moved Foinaven.

Thanks Damon, keep it up - you're doing a grand job!

« Reply #24 on: 05 June, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »

Damn!  Early Purple is about the only orchid I can identify.  Or so I thought.

Early Purple has spotted leaves and a much looser Flower Spike.
I filmed some close to your home. at 1min 20 on this video. <a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1022011&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1022011&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>