Author Topic: MSR Hubba HP - one person tent  (Read 11458 times)

MSR Hubba HP - one person tent
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
I've used a Hilleberg Akto for the last 10 years, for many people it's the definitive hard use one person tent. Mines still in excellent condition despite nearly a year spent living in the thing, but at 180cm I've always found the sitting head room to be restrictive, and it was starting to aggravate an already dodgy neck.   I bought an Shangri-La 3 as an alternative but somehow that didn't push all the right buttons for me.

Last year I grabbed an MSR Hubba HP in a sale at a very decent price, I've recently spent 2 weeks touring around NW Scotland in it, so here's something of a review.

In use at Sandwood Bay

Pics and specs can be found here , mine is not yellow !

Hendrik from Hiking in Finland has done an excellent review & video here 

Here are my thoughts:

It pitches inner first, spread the groundsheet out taut, assemble the pole and put the ends in the grommets on the groundsheet, then clip the inner to the poles and throw the flysheet over.

It's quick and easy, even in wind, the inner tent has sufficient water resistance that I'm not too worried about getting it wet. 

The tent is self supporting, so until it's pegged down you can move it around for the best view (or reposition it when the wind changes direction!)

For a good weather pitch you need 6 pegs, 1 at each corner of the groundsheet, one at the rear, one for the porch. If you are expecting weather then you need 3 more, 1 for each end guy and 1 for the rear guy.  I found myself using the supplied MSR pegs for the groundsheet and some V pegs for the other points.

Pitched long axis into the wind I found the tent very weather proof.  I was camped on some very exposed coastal sites during a very windy Scottish May, and the tent tent took it with some mild swaying and wobbling.  I doubt if it's as ultimately stormproof as the Akto, but it's bloody good.

The fly is a pleasant light green, and the inner white, which gives a very pleasant feel (though I expect the white will get dirty).  There is less floor space than the Akto, (you lose the "rear triangle" which was only good for storage), but there is much more head and shoulder room when sitting up.

3 mesh pockets are provided for storage and I usually had my bar bag and a stuffsac in the tent with me.

The porch is a decent size, plenty of room to cook with a Trangia under cover. You can store 4 panniers in here, but it's a bit of a squeeze. One nice feature is that both porch doors can roll up, giving you a great view in good weather.

I've had condensation on the outer tent in cool, still conditions, but no drips into the interior.

Things I don't like:

There is an emergency pole sleeve, but no fabric patch kit.
The tent has 3 guy points, MSR seem to regard these as optional and only supply 1 length of guy cord and 1 runner. I had to add some Dyneema line and Lineloks to the price. Extra pegs needed as well.
The fly is cut quite high, this gives good ventilation but I found the tent a little draughty.
They have used a "waterproof" zip for the porch, with no stormflap.  It gave me no trouble, but I'd prefer belt & braces..

Summary:

All in all it's a very good, light, weatherproof solo tent.  I think it could take most things Northern Europe could throw at it, and I found a few favourable comments on a Tasmanian site as well... they know about wind there.

Pretty much ideal for solo hiking or cycle touring, based on the performance of this one I think anyone looking for a larger tent could be advised to look at the larger Hubba Hubba & Mutha Hubba models as well.

Current lowest price appears to be £230 at Cheaptents

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: MSR Hubba HP - one person tent
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:06:06 pm »
I've got the Mutha Hubba - and really like it. Very silent in the wind, stable, easy to erect and light.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:03 pm »
There used to be a similar design called the Phoenix Phreeranger - "longitudinal hoop" I think.  Chris Townsend used them during his mega backpacking expeditions in North America (though now uses one of the transverse ones eg Laser Photon).  One of the definite advantages was the few pegs needed to pitch it.
The Kettwiesel Ripper turns his hand to upwrongs...

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »
I wonder what the groundsheet is like. I have a Macpac with a bombproof and very durable groundsheet which is my 1st choice tent (I have an old Vango which is an old pal too) but its begun to sag and the interior can become quite oppressive when the inner is only inches from your face.
I think many lightweight tents tend to sacrifice reliability in bad weather and durability in this area.
Any thoughts on the MSR???

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:44:51 pm »
I use to have a Mutha Hubba and the groundsheet was somewhere in between the bombproof bathtub of Hillebergs and the ultralite silnylon Terra Nova Laser type groundsheet.  I did  notice a darkening of the groundsheet on wet grass but never saw any water actually coming through - I did end up buying the footprint though.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »
I've never noticed any dampness or leakage through the groundsheet when using the Hubba HP.  I've recently bought the larger Hubba Hubba HP as well, but haven't used it for an extended trip yet.

According to the MSR website the groundsheet has a 10,000mm hydrostatic head, that's twice that of the Akto.

My general impression is that it's a good, well made tent. I'm not sure if it will have the longevity of my Akto, which is now on it's 3rd owner, but it retails for a lot less.   I'll give you an update in a few years  :)

If your tent is the Macpac Microlite I sat in one once at a tent show in the lakes.  Bombproof Hypalon groundsheet, but not much room as I recall.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:24:20 pm »
There used to be a similar design called the Phoenix Phreeranger - "longitudinal hoop" I think.  Chris Townsend used them

I still have one in the attic, can't bring myself to throw it away even though it leaks badly. Really clever design, I used it on mountain marathons and cycle tours. I think Macpac do a similar design now. If Terra Nova produced a tent to that design using lightweight modern gear it'd sell very well.

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 06:44:14 pm »

I would have liked to have seen a photo of the 6'2" model lying down as well as sitting.  Being 6'3" (or 190cm) brings challenges when finding a tent for one that does not result in my feet or head being squashed against the tent wall and becoming wet.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:42 pm »
There used to be a similar design called the Phoenix Phreeranger - "longitudinal hoop" I think.  Chris Townsend used them

I still have one in the attic, can't bring myself to throw it away even though it leaks badly. Really clever design, I used it on mountain marathons and cycle tours. I think Macpac do a similar design now. If Terra Nova produced a tent to that design using lightweight modern gear it'd sell very well.

This might interest you. http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/10-phoenix-phreeranger-replacement-flysheet.html

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »

I would have liked to have seen a photo of the 6'2" model lying down as well as sitting.  Being 6'3" (or 190cm) brings challenges when finding a tent for one that does not result in my feet or head being squashed against the tent wall and becoming wet.

It's a good tent, though I find I use the Hubba Hubba HP more often as I like to sprawl out.   That's luxurious for one  :thumbsup:

Another review here http://scottishmountaineer.com/msr-hubba-hp-review/

And here http://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hubba/ (Hubba model has  the same dimensions)

"This is a great tent. Freestanding, single pole, lightweight, tall. I am 6'4" and fit in it. Obviously it is not spacious, but I can sit up comfortably in it and can lie down fine with a bit of room at my head and feet for my junk. "

"I am 6'3" 250+ lbs and I sleep and dress comfortably in it. It is cozy, for sure, but it absolutely works.."

"I'm almost 6'4 and can sit up with plenty of head room. Lying down also plenty of room for tall bags and pads."

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:40 pm »
This might interest you. http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/10-phoenix-phreeranger-replacement-flysheet.html
Very useful thanks, I'll think about that. Not sure if the inner is still useable, but I'll certainly think about buying one.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:52:17 pm »

Tarptent do 1- and 2-man versions of the same design - but only with mesh inner sewn into the fly (with optional nylon liner) -

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
The Kettwiesel Ripper turns his hand to upwrongs...