Author Topic: Trainspotters. Why?  (Read 59719 times)

Re: Trainspotters. Why?
« Reply #325 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:47 pm »
I’ve follow this modeller on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/east_coastway

There is no better way to put it than to copy his profile:
Remembering the 2001-2004 South Central Trains franchise with a fleet of multiple units in 4mm

His work is superb. Once upon a time I used to be able to immerse myself in detail like this but I’m not sure if I have the focus any more.

Hope some of you enjoy it.

4mm scale
FFS!

« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2020, 06:46:58 am »
4mm scale
FFS!

British OO and N are just barmy. I understand the historical reasons for the non true scale dimensions but its crazy that UK modellers didn't switch to HO and continental N in the 60s.
4mm as a solution to gauge to rolling stock scale inaccuracy just seems perverse, "OO isn't true to scale as the locos and rolling stock are too big for the 3.5mm track gauge.  I know lets not do what the entire rest of the world does and go HO so they are true to scale no we will move to 4mm for a track gauge and now we need unique track of our own and unique locos and rolling stock of our own". It's bonkers. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2020, 09:44:11 am »
Does EM gauge track still exist? (Wider than OO so it's true to 4mm scale)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2020, 10:31:19 am »
EM 18mm gauge was an intermediate stop between OO 16.5mm and P4 18.83m. All 4mm scale stuff is an oddity really.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »
Well, that will teach me to post on a trainspotting thread without first checking for the presence of sensitive issues  ;D