Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 262787 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2000 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:14:05 pm »
Could it be a tribute to Brian perhaps ?  Have the crowd found their one true leader ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2001 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
Could it be a tribute to Brian perhaps ?  Have the crowd found their one true leader ?

Ben's mum: Now, you listen here: 'e's not the Messiah, 'e's a very naughty boy! Now, go away!

Brian Ben Stokes: I'm not the Messiah!
Arthur Hatler: I say you are, Lord, and I should know, I've followed a few!
Crowd: Hail, Messiah!
Brian Ben Stokes: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen?! I'm not the Messiah, do you understand?! Honestly!
Woman: Only the true Messiah denies his divinity!
Brian Ben Stokes: What?! Well, what sort of chance does that give me?! All right, I am the Messiah!
Crowd: He is! He is the Messiah!
Brian Ben Stokes: Now, fuck off!

<Silence>

Arthur Hatler: How shall we fuck off, oh Lord?
Brian Ben Stokes: Oh, just go away! Leave me alone! Before I fill you all in you [deleted. Teh Invigilators]!1

:demon: :demon: :demon:

1 May contain traces of dialogue rejected by Monty Python2.

1 May contain traces of LIE.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2002 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:12:51 pm »
‘Shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes, shoes off, if you love Ben Stokes’ and repeat, ad nauseum, to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys while holding aloft a shoe. Despite a degree of inebriation I seem to have been able to commit the lyrics to memory.

The problem being that, although I think I have heard of the Pet Shop Boys, I have never knowingly heard any of their oeuvres.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2003 on: 26 August, 2019, 10:02:30 pm »
The original was by the Village People in the 70's .... You know YMCA and all that.
Must have heard of them  ;)
Regards,

Alan

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2004 on: 26 August, 2019, 11:31:40 pm »
The original was by the Village People in the 70's .... You know YMCA and all that.
Must have heard of them  ;)

I have!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2005 on: 31 August, 2019, 09:14:19 am »
Stokes on his 'LBW'... http://www.espncricinfo.com/video/clip?id=27462101  'DRS I think has got that completely wrong, as it flicked my front pad first, didn't spin...' 'crucial to use reviews carefully'

Changes afoot for the DRS?   Apparently the umpires Wilson and Gaffaney have been removed from the Ashes due to their poor record. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2006 on: 31 August, 2019, 12:54:38 pm »
I'm sure Hawkeye is fallible. There have been several Wimbledon challenges where the TV footage doesn't match Hawkeye.

Still, it is fallible for both sides, I guess.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2007 on: 31 August, 2019, 01:05:10 pm »
Still, it is fallible for both sides, I guess.
Yes that's the key really. Ball *prediction* can never be perfect; the ball is spinning, and thus swerving* about. Plus often the predicted path is much long than the measured one (e.g. forward defensive to a slow-bowler) so the errors become much larger. People see these beautiful graphics and come to assume the system is 100% accurate.

So nothing's perfect ... which brings us to Umpires ...

IMHO as long as they're not biased, they're probably making no more errors than most players. It's a game about human beings ;  some make mistakes ; get on with it! (I'd say the same in all sports.)

*And if the ball strikes bat AND pad the computers really have no hope.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2008 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:32:15 pm »
Stephen Fry is here. Seen him a couple of times. He’s quite a bit thinner than when I last saw him.

We need some wickets.

« Reply #2009 on: 05 September, 2019, 04:17:33 pm »
Smith is stumping England's bowlers...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2010 on: 05 September, 2019, 04:19:34 pm »
That wasn’t a very good session for England.

« Reply #2011 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:56:40 am »
Rain may turn out to be England's friend in this test match.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2012 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:41:36 pm »
Oops.

« Reply #2013 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »
Here's hoping (yep that hope again) the remaining recognised England batsmen make-like Stokes and take it slow and steady to begin with, then build some big partnerships.

« Reply #2014 on: 06 September, 2019, 06:56:47 pm »
Here's hoping (yep that hope again) the remaining recognised England batsmen make-like Stokes and take it slow and steady to begin with, then build some big partnerships.

<checks score>

I hate to break it to you but...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2015 on: 06 September, 2019, 07:32:13 pm »
It was going well until it stopped going well.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2016 on: 06 September, 2019, 07:45:11 pm »

That's always England.  Bummer when that's  in the second over sometimes.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2017 on: 07 September, 2019, 12:07:29 pm »
Once again, how long can Stokes stay in and get runs... 

edit.  not long

Can Buttler save the 'follow-on'?

« Reply #2018 on: 07 September, 2019, 12:38:14 pm »
oh dear...

they take us right up there, to unknown heights.....then they bring right down again...
Garry Broad

« Reply #2019 on: 07 September, 2019, 01:55:36 pm »
It's a testament to the significance of Steve Smith that England are "struggling" on 280 - 300, which would often be a pretty useful score.

« Reply #2020 on: 07 September, 2019, 02:11:13 pm »
It's a testament to the significance of Steve Smith that England are "struggling" on 280 - 300, which would often be a pretty useful score.

Yes, that's right.
And although I haven't had the chance to listen to this test as much as I'd have liked, I haven't heard so many reports of the England batsmen getting out to 'bad shots'.

I can't recall a player being so dominant in a team so consistently for some time.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2021 on: 07 September, 2019, 06:34:14 pm »
 0-2 ::-)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2022 on: 07 September, 2019, 06:37:21 pm »

That's always England.  Bummer when that's  in the second over sometimes.

No need to wait for the second over.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2023 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:26:00 pm »
Save the unforgettable, miraculous performance at Headingley, I think the Aussies deserve the Ashes.

But.....it would be so cool, if England could, possibly, save this game, and go to the Oval with all to play for.
It's a huge ask, but it would be so fitting for the end of summer, and for me, there's always a kind of melancholy with the advent of the last test of the summer. F*** football, it can wait.....let cricket play out the natural closing of summer.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2024 on: 07 September, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »
Save the unforgettable, miraculous performance at Headingley, I think the Aussies deserve the Ashes.

But.....it would be so cool, if England could, possibly, save this game, and go to the Oval with all to play for.
It's a huge ask, but it would be so fitting for the end of summer, and for me, there's always a kind of melancholy with the advent of the last test of the summer. F*** football, it can wait.....let cricket play out the natural closing of summer.

Having - sort of - quoted 'Life of Brian' up-thread, there's another movie involving John Cleese that springs to mind:

Quote from: Clockwise
Brian Stimpson: It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

That's the problem with that amazing Headingley test, it gave us hope, when all it did was stave off the inevitable series win of, TBH, a somewhat superior team.