Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 262694 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2375 on: 25 August, 2021, 08:33:58 pm »
England shouldn't lose from here - but caution is always wise.  Both Hameed and Burns have been dropped, I think.  And there was a wonderful piece of luck for Overton for India's last man out: it would have been a wide down the leg-side if the batsman hadn't jumped back out of the way and spooned it to....... slip!  Some terrific bowling, though, and lovely to see the opening stand, especially with Hameed.  Well done!

« Reply #2376 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:44:33 pm »
Since England are at Headingley...   Stokes n' Leach 2019  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wamtTEVFDiA
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2377 on: 25 August, 2021, 09:49:30 pm »
Yes, I know, Andy, but I try hard to manage my dreams (a long lifetime of supporting Newcastle!*).  I mean we should have won the last test and those incredible Headingley results are only about every forty years!  I see Botham has been appointed a trade ambassador to Australia.  Tell them to keep the Fosters and send us a couple of spinners (or Les Patterson).

* Since I posted this, Newcastle have just finished their third match of the season.  All have been against teams who play in claret and blue (which I really like).  All have ended in defeat, even tonight's against Burnley, who aren't even a real team - though it'll please Jimmy Anderson and he deserves it!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2378 on: 25 August, 2021, 10:59:23 pm »
I think that the Headingley test which I recall with the greatest fondness was this one:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-england-1991-61878/england-vs-west-indies-1st-test-63557/full-scorecard
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2379 on: 25 August, 2021, 11:04:40 pm »
Excellent.  Phil de Freitas deserves to be better remembered.

« Reply #2380 on: 25 August, 2021, 11:40:08 pm »
Yes, I know, Andy, but I try hard to manage my dreams (a long lifetime of supporting Newcastle!*).  I mean we should have won the last test and those incredible Headingley results are only about every forty years!  I see Botham has been appointed a trade ambassador to Australia.  Tell them to keep the Fosters and send us a couple of spinners (or Les Patterson).

* Since I posted this, Newcastle have just finished their third match of the season.  All have been against teams who play in claret and blue (which I really like).  All have ended in defeat, even tonight's against Burnley, who aren't even a real team - though it'll please Jimmy Anderson and he deserves it!
In a strange coincidence, I, along with thousands of home fans, watched the Stokes/Leach show on the concourse in the Spurs stadium immediately before Newcastle beat us !  Stadium announcer was pleading with people to leave the bars and goto their seats as the game was starting !

« Reply #2381 on: 26 August, 2021, 02:04:01 am »
 ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2382 on: 26 August, 2021, 10:33:24 am »
There was a similar situation at Southchurch Park during one of Botham's spectacular innings in 1981. Essex and Lancs were playing and the crowd wasn't huge. But some of the beer tents did have televisions in them and hardly anyone was watching a very hard-earned 65 by Clive Lloyd to hang on for a draw against Essex.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2383 on: 26 August, 2021, 12:54:50 pm »
If this is now the Headingley reminiscences thread, this is mine.

In 1979-80 I lived in Leeds. Headingley in fact. In a house which backed onto the cricket ground. If play was interrupted by rain I could go home and turn the TV on and when the umpires emerged from the pavilion for a restart I could leave the house, turn into Kirkstall Lane and be in my seat on the Western Terrace before the white-coated ones had reached the square.

There wasn't much cricket at Headingley during my time there, and apart from a B&H tie v Warks and the Roses match the most memorable cricket I saw there was a 1-day international against Clive Lloyd's West Indians (1-day in name only - rain delays meant it spilled over into the next day). My overwhelming memory was of Chris Tavare's first England appearance, with him playing as if it was a timeless test, leaving everything outside off stump and barely hitting the ball off the square.

But a look at the scorecard 40+ years later reveals something quite different:
- Tavare scored 82* off 129 balls (cf Boycott 5 off 40, Gordon Greenwich 78 off 147, Desmond Haynes 19 off 48). Perhaps he started to hit out when he began to run out of batting partners and/or when the part-time bowlers Richards and Greenwich were on
- There were brief cameos from Gower (12 off 16 incl 2 4s), Botham (30  off 22 incl 5 4s) and Bairstow (16 off 23) but no-one else got into double figures
- WI's total was 198 (in 55 overs - 3.6 an over!) England were all out 24 25 short with 22 balls remaining.
- It wasn't Tavare's batting which was to blame, it was the inability of other batsmen to stay in (albeit against Holding, Roberts, Garner and Marshall)

Scorecard
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2384 on: 26 August, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »
I recall Gooch's first test century. His wicket, the second to fall, when the score was on 165. He scored 123. Boycott scored 8. I can't recall what Tavare had scored when Gooch was out, but it wasn't many.

« Reply #2385 on: 26 August, 2021, 11:39:11 pm »
I'm still uneasy about this Test.  Despite England's large score, that was definitely a collapse, with 5 falling for 60-odd.  And technically Burns and Hameed failed as openers in today's play.  India have several players capable of making huge scores and might end up skittling us out in the last innings (it's happened before, as recently as - the last test).  Also wonder if Anderson has a niggle as he didn't bowl after lunch having taken 3 for 6 before.

Jeremiah

« Reply #2386 on: 27 August, 2021, 06:03:08 pm »
Hmmm.

« Reply #2387 on: 28 August, 2021, 01:17:09 pm »
<checks score>

Crikey!  :o
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2388 on: 28 August, 2021, 01:19:28 pm »
An 8 wicket collapse…
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2389 on: 28 August, 2021, 01:20:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2390 on: 28 August, 2021, 01:49:13 pm »
I worked my punditry magic again!  And I don't even get paid for it!

Terrific result - what a great game cricket can be.  Two great games on the trot.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2391 on: 02 September, 2021, 05:30:54 pm »
The cricket looked quite good until now...

« Reply #2392 on: 02 September, 2021, 06:42:31 pm »
There really does seem to be a hex on England openers.  And they are getting themselves out.  That's twice running for Burns and Hameed, if you count the second day of the 3rd Test - which I do.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2393 on: 02 September, 2021, 06:56:58 pm »
But now Root won't get 100 in the first innings...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2394 on: 02 September, 2021, 07:20:22 pm »
There really does seem to be a hex on England openers.  And they are getting themselves out.  That's twice running for Burns and Hameed, if you count the second day of the 3rd Test - which I do.
If they scored 300 each, then got out early on Day 3, YOU would call that a failure!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2395 on: 02 September, 2021, 07:30:18 pm »
Which, of course, in the context of a fresh day's play, clear eyes and a good night's sleep, it still would be.  But I would also applaud the 300!  I am a pundit for all occasions, with opinions to suit most tastes - like Groucho!  ;)

« Reply #2396 on: 05 September, 2021, 07:53:16 pm »
This is simmering nicely!  Let's hope Burns and Hameed remember that they START AGAIN in the morning from 0 not out as far as their function (to piss off the bowlers) is concerned.  But even Matt must be pleased with their achievements this evening!   ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2397 on: 05 September, 2021, 08:36:08 pm »
At least 90% of the time, teams trying to chase down targets like this get out early and the last day is a bit of a disappointment. We had Stokes & Leach's monster last wicket partnership a few years ago which was utterly wonderful, but one of the best last-day run-chases I recall was under the captaincy of Mr. J. M. Brearley, who I still think was the best England captain of my lifetime.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-tour-of-england-1979-62284/england-vs-india-4th-test-63240/full-scorecard

At the start of the final over, all four results were still possible.

Then there was this one:

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/gordon-greenidge-rsquo-s-brutal-214-not-out-makes-mockery-of-last-day-target-of-342-in-78-overs-28568

which was quite astonishing. The tragedy is that there was hardly anyone there to watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbKXJUE9bEs&ab_channel=SeanM

« Reply #2398 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:54:49 pm »
I was there with mini today. Great day out. All the more rewarding given that towards the end of Day 2 I really didn't think there would be a Day 4.

Burns and Hameed looked pretty comfortable in that last session. That in itself is quite a result.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #2399 on: 06 September, 2021, 12:31:50 am »
They looked pretty comfortable on day 1.  Then day 2 happened.  But it's good that our opening pair has got a start twice out of three goes, so far.