Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 261332 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #525 on: 12 July, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
Me too.  Broad put the umpire in a difficult position

No, Broad didn't put the umpire anywhere - the umpire did that by missing an easy decision. And the Aussies fucked up by mis-using their reviews.

Broad did put the umpire in a difficult position (by not walking & he didn't have to), but this was the umpire's own fault, as he missed it, and shouldn't have - is what I mean.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #526 on: 12 July, 2013, 11:09:51 pm »
You appeal when you really aren't sure there was a nick. You get paid back when batsmen don't walk.
It is simpler than it looks.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #527 on: 12 July, 2013, 11:12:46 pm »
Athers - "when in Rome dear boy..."

The umpires (or was it just one of them) have fucked up enough of this test. Broad played the game, exactly as he should have done.

« Reply #528 on: 13 July, 2013, 12:08:23 am »
I don't think his job description includes being the sole arbiter of a dismissal - or maybe it does?

That's exactly his job description

Cliff, what I meant was that Idon't think there's anything in the rules about a batsman "helping" the umpire in his decision by walking.  Note that Basil's umpire didn't send him back in!

« Reply #529 on: 13 July, 2013, 08:01:04 am »

« Reply #530 on: 13 July, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
well I suppose all this "should he have, shouldn't he have" has distracted everybody from the fairly mediocre batting performance from our first 4 batsman.

« Reply #531 on: 13 July, 2013, 09:54:00 am »
Two of those four got fifties on nwhat is proving to be a difficult wicket.  Their number eleven might disagree - but he only made 6 before he was out for the first time.

« Reply #532 on: 13 July, 2013, 10:29:50 am »
maybe Peter, but the other two made 0 & 5 not what I would call inspiring. I know the Australians didn't do much better but you usually find that what ever we do the ozzies do better, I go along with what they were saying on TMS yesterday about how the style & shot selection has changed since the introduction of the shorter matches, players get into the one day game mode and find it hard to change to the 5 day game. either way today will be very interesting.

« Reply #533 on: 13 July, 2013, 10:38:32 am »
Definitely going to be interesting!  I don't rule the Australians out.....

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #534 on: 13 July, 2013, 11:10:39 am »
maybe Peter, but the other two made 0 & 5 not what I would call inspiring. I know the Australians didn't do much better but you usually find that what ever we do the ozzies do better, I go along with what they were saying on TMS yesterday about how the style & shot selection has changed since the introduction of the shorter matches, players get into the one day game mode and find it hard to change to the 5 day game. either way today will be very interesting.
Well it was you who criticised our top "4" batters...

"you usually find that what ever we do the ozzies do better"
That's a bit negative isnt it?!? Are you an England fan, or just like to criticise? It's a very english tendency, I regret to say.

But I agree about the effect of T20 etc. It's impossible to measure or prove, but simple brain/learning theory says there must be an effect.

I'm turning into Boykes. Have you seen the tweeter @FredBoycott? Worryingly, HE is now following ME! (he's pretty funny)

< Bell 100 :) >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #535 on: 13 July, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
As far as I am concerned it is the umpire's job to give a man out.   Umpires (with or without technology) get it wrong - just look at Agar;s stumping and trott's dismissal.   I can look at other sports and pick out so many times when the officials got it wrong but the decision stood from the wrong ball used for a quick ball in by Wales to Lampard's goal against Germany not being given.   Human error, these things happen.

I would like to see England bat until they get a lead of 400 or Broad gets a ton, or they are all out, whichever comes first.   The Aussies will be resolute but 400 runs is a huge ask even if the life has gone from the wicket and the skies... 

« Reply #536 on: 13 July, 2013, 01:37:05 pm »
So Aus have 311 to get - could be close.

« Reply #537 on: 13 July, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
I'm a born pessimist, so very much an England fan :)

just think how much better it is for me when they win, yet no surprise when they lose.

« Reply #538 on: 13 July, 2013, 05:26:07 pm »
Quite a test match this  - still  close, if the Aus lower order performs.

« Reply #539 on: 13 July, 2013, 11:40:52 pm »
Yes, win or lose, this is the real stuff!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #540 on: 13 July, 2013, 11:45:11 pm »
In other news Denmark, yes they do play stickball* in Denmark**, has won against Isle of Man in a ICC Europe Division One Twenty20  tournament.

Two for two, top of Group B - what what, jolly good show!

*) why it is called cricket when there is 12 sticks and no crickets in this game?
**) and I have just learnt that Denmark has played stickball since 1866.
Well Italy the winner of group A beat Denmark winner of group B in the final today, oh bother. But pretty good going for DK with playing semi final at 1400 and a final to play at 1830.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #541 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:59:31 am »
Here we go.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #542 on: 14 July, 2013, 11:59:16 am »
There's one of 'em!

« Reply #543 on: 14 July, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
Go on Jimmy!

« Reply #544 on: 14 July, 2013, 12:36:31 pm »
Whoah, Cook rather made up for his previous drop there.

« Reply #545 on: 14 July, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
Finn again - boundaries all over.  1 wkt to go - can hardly listen to this.

« Reply #546 on: 14 July, 2013, 01:07:15 pm »
It's Edgbaston all over again.

Maybe I'll nip down the bookies and put a fiver on the tie.

« Reply #547 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
We won it, but on DRS! Jeez, that was close (both the match and the DRS decision).

« Reply #548 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »
I fackin' love cricket. And the DRS system*

Yes, I know, system system.
How's my trolling? Call 07700 900999.

« Reply #549 on: 14 July, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »
Thank fuck for that.

I loathe DRS. So much I can't even be bothered to google what it means....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!