Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 262536 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #750 on: 20 June, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
18 for me. Should have got a couple more, but I'd completely forgotten one of the Aussies.

« Reply #751 on: 20 June, 2014, 09:11:30 pm »
23. Used to read lots of this stuff as a kid and appear to have accumulated a shelf full of Wisdens ! Top Trumps used to help too !

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #752 on: 20 June, 2014, 09:16:14 pm »
Good first day in test 2
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #753 on: 21 June, 2014, 12:47:54 pm »
How long do you reckon Cook has left as captain and/or opening batsman?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #754 on: 22 June, 2014, 07:45:27 pm »
who would replace him ? I think he does ok as captain but his batting is letting him down recently, perhaps he does need to be a touch more thoughtful about his field placings maybe his batting would improve if the captaincy was taken from him he wouldn't be the first.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #755 on: 23 June, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »
Ooops.

« Reply #756 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:54:57 pm »
so delicately put Jaded, :)

in the TMS commentary box today there was talk that if England lose this game that perhaps Cook will step down as captain, no useful names were put forward as a replacement thobut, on another note isn't Billy Bowden having a bit of a shocker

« Reply #757 on: 23 June, 2014, 10:59:29 pm »
It's hard to pick another captain from the team. Possibly Prior.

Cook's form is well off. There was a good piece in the Graun over the weekend arguing that Cook should give up ODIs to sort out his test batting, but I'm not sure that'd do much for the captaincy problems, unless there's some sort of confidence osmosis at play.

Anyway, Sri Lanka deserve the win, especially after being put in to bat. Only the Yorkshire weather can save England now ;)

« Reply #758 on: 23 June, 2014, 11:12:18 pm »
Prior was one name put forward, but keeping wicket and being captain is not easy, look at the mess Stewart made of things, plus Prior's place isn't certain right now from what I've read and he's missed a few in this game, I only kept wicket and captained the local village team and that was hard enough :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #759 on: 24 June, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »
I understand that if England, who have 3 overs to face, get a draw in this match, it will be the first time in test history that a team going into the day 5-down will have saved the game. If they do, it can only be down to inspired captaincy by Cook.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #760 on: 24 June, 2014, 06:57:50 pm »
Two overs to go. Nasser Hussain reports that Anderson's innings is the fourth longest duck in test history.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #761 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »
And one. It's to be faced by Anderson. He has now achieved the longest ever test duck by an England player. Huzzah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #762 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:09:10 pm »
Oh dear...

« Reply #763 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:10:18 pm »
FFS!!!!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #764 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »
Just caught up with the text commentary on the Beeb ... there was a certain inevitability about the result, but even so .... ouch!

You've got to feel for Jimmy Anderson ... good knock from Ali, though. Must be something to do with the Beard Of Awesome.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #765 on: 24 June, 2014, 07:32:59 pm »
Yes, they both played the back game very well. Jimmy Anderson was on his haunches for ages after the wicket - much like Ian Bell was at Cardiff in the first Ashes test. A different result though.

Great reminder of how Test Cricket is in a different league from any other sport.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #766 on: 24 June, 2014, 08:44:40 pm »
Indeed. Swann was sat in the TMS box saying play the full ball and let a short one just hit you at that point. Not as easy when you have a fast bowler trying to knock your head off. So near, yet so far.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #767 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:43:15 pm »
well that was real edge of the seat stuff, just watched the high lights, only three things to say about the ball that got Anderson 1, he took his eye's off the ball, 2, he should have ducked, 3, it was a very good ball :)
Cook seems to be quite relaxed and taking it in his stride. Going by the chat on TMS and others there is definitely a shortage of names being put forward as a replacement still only ten days to go before it all starts again, lets hope the team can pick themselves up in that time.

« Reply #768 on: 25 June, 2014, 08:41:49 am »
Ah, what a great finish. I kinda wish I'd gone down to Headingley yesterday now.

« Reply #769 on: 25 June, 2014, 10:22:56 am »
Yes,excitement is what you want.  The great thing about cricket is that you are never going to finish worse than second - mind you, the same is true of boxing.....

« Reply #770 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »
Fabulous results for Durham and, to a lesser extent, Lancashire, today.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #771 on: 25 June, 2014, 06:55:17 pm »
Silver lining; Swann is going to be an excellent pundit :-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #772 on: 26 June, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »
India appear to be off to a good start, I haven't read any match reports yet, just going by the score 333 for 4!!

« Reply #773 on: 28 June, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »
So auntie B considers the tennis more important than the cricket, does anyone know where I can at least listen to the game, and don't say grace road please :)

« Reply #774 on: 30 June, 2014, 08:55:56 am »
So it would appear that day night Test matches will be going ahead as early as next year so say AC and NZC and they will use a pink ball, could be fun if it ever comes to this part of the world :)