Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 124850 times)

Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2150 on: July 25, 2020, 11:35:11 am »
New day of the innings never seems to go that well.

ETA perhaps Broad will have something to say...
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2020, 12:17:17 pm »
Yes, it's become fashionable to mock Broad's batting after his loss of nerve.  But the basic stuff is still there - he has a huge test score to his name, I think, probably higher than his father, who was a "real" batsman.

I think 300 will be enough.

« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2020, 12:36:32 pm »
50.   :thumbsup:

...   "joint third fastest half-century in Test by an England batsman. "
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.  EOW.

« Reply #2153 on: July 26, 2020, 12:41:04 pm »
Is it my imagination or has Broad lost a little bit of weight? He was never heavy of course, but he's looking as good as I've ever seen him.

Him and Anderson: class pair.

Strange listening to TMS in this kind of environment.
Garry Broad

« Reply #2154 on: July 26, 2020, 01:46:29 pm »
We are lucky to have such a good pair, possibly for a year or so more.  Their career averages (Tests) are very similar, with Anderson just better on 27 and Broad on 28 runs per wicket.  It's interesting (to me at least!) that of the bowlers who have over 300 test wickets (and Anderson has nearly twice that) Fred Trueman has easily the best average at about 21.5.  Often wondered what his figures would have been if he'd played more than his paltry 67 tests (he was out of favour for his attitude a lot of the time).  Interestingly, Bob Willis has the second best average of the 300 + men.

As a schoolboy, I was lucky enough to see Fred bowl in a charity match at Stanmore in Middlesex.  But even though he went off a short run (on advice from the local hospital, I imagine) I still struggled to follow the ball!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2155 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:17 pm »
Friday morning I discussed this test with my boss, an avid krikkit fan.  I suggested that on the basis that this test, for the series, matters, I bet on England collapse.  He said "I concur".

Ho hum.
2020 targets: None
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2156 on: July 26, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
They may not get much play tomorrow anyway...  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcw25grrk#?date=2020-07-27

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2157 on: July 26, 2020, 10:33:41 pm »
I think that was the dilemma.

Declare early and there's no weather and they have two days to make a mediocre score.
Declare late and there's not enough time to get them all out. Because weather.
Declare early and get a few wickets because the ball is swinging.
etc
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.