Author Topic: 'Deep drop' brakes choice?  (Read 9736 times)

'Deep drop' brakes choice?
« on: 10 September, 2011, 11:13:15 am »
Planning to build an Audax bike using parts from current road bike on a frame with clearance for 28mm tyres and mudguards. 'Deep drop' 57mm brakes will be required instead of the road bike's current 'standard drop' 49mm. Not a problem to find deep drop brakes, the problem is excess choice, which always causes me more issues than a lack of choice  ::-)

I have found, in ascending order of price for a pair:

Miche Performance £17.59
Tektro R538 £30 Quite light weight and cartridge pads.
Ambrosio Momentum £36
Dia-Compe BRS101 £37.50 and available in lots of fun colours (which is obviously not a priority....)
Shimano R450 £38 Seem quite similar to the road bike's Soras which are absolutely fine IMO
Shimano R650 £67.50 Equivalent to 105?

Any opinions most welcome to help stop me dithering  :-\ It would be nice if the fastners could be reasonably corrosion resistant, unlike those on the Tektros on a friend's bike.

Re: 'Deep drop' brakes choice?
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:28:26 am »
The Shimano R650 is Ultegra range equivalent.   Tiagra is 4nnn, 105 is 5nnn, etc. 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:30:14 am »
IIRC the Shimano R650's are equiv to 6600 (Ultegra) I have a set on the front of my Ridley (stupid 4ZA fork with it's falling between the stools drop, slightly too long for standard drop).  they are good, not as stiff as the standard drop (obviously) but still can stop me when bleting down Chevin Bank at ~50mph.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:31:58 am »
The R650s are the superior option. If you can afford then get them.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2011, 11:36:37 am »
The R650s are the superior option. If you can afford then get them.

+1

I have the 650s on my MC and they're more than adequate for my needs; I can lock the back wheel sitting down with 35 mm tyres.

I had  the 450s briefly on another bike, and whilst they look quite similar save for the finish they just didn't seems to be quite as snappy.  May just have been the blocks. Either way, the 650s look better :)

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
The Shimano R650 is Ultegra range equivalent.   Tiagra is 4nnn, 105 is 5nnn, etc.
OK so R450s are Tiagra equivalent then and the main difference seems to be thrust bearing in the 650s. what about other brands, are they all inferior?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:04:26 pm »
I would avoid the Tektros, unless you are having to save money.

Whilst they will stop you there will be more hairy moments than with the R650s.

Just my experience
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
Another +1 for deep drop R650's, with Kool Stop salmon brake pads in them rather than the rim-eating Shimano pads they come fitted with. They stop you very nicely  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »

Just my experience
Thanks, I was admiring the quick release design on the Tektros as will be running 28mm tyres, but its less important then stopping power.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »
I didn't get any improvement in braking after replacing a high-end Tektro deep-drop front brake for a decent Shimano one, using the same pads.  (I can't remember the model numbers now).

Not all cartridge pad holders provide orbital ajustment.  You can fit superior Kool Stop Dura holders and pads to any of the brakes mentioned in your list.

Shimano's cable adjusters are nicer than Tektro's.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »

Just my experience
Thanks, I was admiring the quick release design on the Tektros as will be running 28mm tyres, but its less important then stopping power.

The built in little QR lever on the 650s works fine for 25mm tyres, not sure if would also allow a 28 through fully pumped

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »
I was admiring the quick release design on the Tektros as will be running 28mm tyres, but its less important then stopping power.

Shimano's QR design is fine too, but I don't believe you will get more stopping power.

« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »
I didn't get any improvement in braking after replacing a high-end Tektro deep-drop front brake for a decent Shimano one, using the same pads.  (I can't remember the model numbers now).

Not all cartridge pad holders provide orbital ajustment.  You can fit superior Kool Stop Dura holders and pads to any of the brakes mentioned in your list.

Shimano's cable adjusters are nicer than Tektro's.
Thanks, your direct comparison is particularly helpful. As you say those Kool Stop cartridge pad sets look the way to go, I already had them on my radar.

My impression of pads is that Shimano are OK, Tektro OEM are crap and eat rims PDQ, and Kool Stop Salmon are excellent and preserve rims the best as well.

A pair of the Tektro R538s with immediate replacement with the Kool Stop pads may be the way to go then so I can stop OK, not knacker my rims and be able to get inflated 28mm tyre in and out OK. Until the next opinion, I love forums!

« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:29:27 pm »
I was admiring the quick release design on the Tektros as will be running 28mm tyres, but its less important then stopping power.

Shimano's QR design is fine too, but I don't believe you will get more stopping power.
OK to get pumped up 28mm tyres through?

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:30:39 pm »
A pair of the Tektro R538s with immediate replacement with the Kool Stop pads may be the way to go then so I can stop OK, not knacker my rims and be able to get inflated 28mm tyre in and out OK. Until the next opinion, I love forums!

This is fine with 650s too (and I imagine 450s) I have 32 mm tyres on the MC, and the q/r on them is more than enough to get the wheels out with the tyres inflated. 35s -  not.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #15 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:33:09 pm »
OK to get pumped up 28mm tyres through?

Not if you have the pads normally very close to the rim, but I think that would apply to Tektros too.  I think Tektros open only a little bit more.

« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »
I have 650s on my Rourke and they are good. Piles better than the short Campag Records on the Audax bike in fact.

All the hardware is good quality, cleans up nicely and is easy to adjust. QR doesn't open as much as I'd like it to though, even with 25mm tyres, but it's a small price to pay.

Edit: I use narrow rims with the brakes set very close on the front, if anyone is wondering why MV doesn't have this issue.

border-rider

« Reply #17 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:36:59 pm »
My MC has Open Pros.  I'd have thought they were pretty narrow on the scale of things...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:41:25 pm »
The QRs open enough for inflated 28mm tyres when using Campag Ergos. :D

(For those who don't know, Ergos incorporate brake-lever open-uppers).

Otherwise just remember to pump the tyre after fitting the wheel.

« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:46:58 pm »
My MC has Open Pros.  I'd have thought they were pretty narrow on the scale of things...

That may well be, but do you have the brakes set really close?

Well, do you? Hmmmm?

« Reply #20 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:48:31 pm »

Shimano equipped bikes don't suffer from as many punctures per mile.

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:52:25 pm »

Well, do you? Hmmmm?

They're close enough to work well.

I can't say I religiously adjust them as the blocks wear, though

edit: it must also depend on how far down the brake the blocks are set.  The MC is built specifically so that the blocks on 650s are right at the very bottom of their range.

« Reply #22 on: 10 September, 2011, 12:53:15 pm »

(For those who don't know, Ergos incorporate brake-lever open-uppers).

Otherwise just remember to pump the tyre after fitting the wheel.
Had Ergos on the old touring bike in a Shimergo set-up and loved them, but unfortunately this time it will be Sora STIs for now  :(

« Reply #23 on: 10 September, 2011, 01:17:03 pm »

Well, do you? Hmmmm?
Mine are set quite close, they have to be because I have small hands, so have the lever reach set to the shortest position, which leaves quite limited room for lever travel.

« Reply #24 on: 10 September, 2011, 01:19:52 pm »
The way round the tyre clearance this is obviously to have the barrell adjuster wound down a bit.