Author Topic: PBP 2015 - Are you doing it?  (Read 72656 times)

Re: PBP 2015 - Are you doing it?
« Reply #475 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:36:14 am »
Food wasn't a problem for me, didn't think it was grim at all, but then I'm not fussy. It's just matter.

It's easily a step up from Ginsters Cornish pasties eaten on a garage forecourt.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #476 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:47:47 am »
I think I will survive with whatever veggie food is around. Cheese baguettes, here I come!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #477 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
How ON EARTH can checking into a hotel be more faff than installing yourself in a campsite?!?

It's not the hotel, it's the left luggage problem; and a tent is more stuff to carry on the bike when riding to/from PBP.

It was a gamble to rely on there being a consigne but it worked out for me in 2011. With a tent you just leave your stuff in it (I was carrying what little valuables I had on the ride anyway).

My F1 hotel was €25. A proper hotel with a good left luggage facility would be more than that.

I suppose a cheap and reliable option is to do both. F1 hotel for the night before (bit more comfortable for those not imbued with the spirit of camping) and use a tent as guaranteed left luggage storage whilst on the ride. A B&B with arranged left luggage (it was only a large rucksack) is another option, or piling in with someone else on something like Huttopia, but that's getting more and more expensive.

I think I spent €150+ during the ride at controls and other stops (cafes, bakeries, etc).

Yes that sums it up,
the left luggage problem was my main worry last time.
In  2011 the local campsite was closed, so I posted in french on the PBP facebook site and got an offer to stay with a family 5 mins from the start.
I fell on my feet there because it was a cycling familly so I had use of a tool shed for my last minute fettling etc.
its a bit early to fix your travel plans but the easiest would be to share a car and drive down. :facepalm:
who knows what eurostar will have as a cycle policy in 18 months
Cycling down with a bunch of friends sounds marvelous, i'd like to do do that next time.
some gps routes to paris are available here
http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/index.php?showpage=334 (but you will have to reverse them in bike hike:)

« Reply #478 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:01:04 am »
Food wasn't a problem for me, didn't think it was grim at all, but then I'm not fussy. It's just matter.

It's easily a step up from Ginsters Cornish pasties eaten on a garage forecourt.

yes :)
The food isnt as good as lel, thats all I meant,
one contol just served "Viande!"
I was on the 84hour start so some of the controls were running out of food, Brest was a problem and Dreux, which most said was great but sadly not for me.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #479 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:05:20 am »
I'm not fussy. It's just matter.

This is my philosophy with all audaxes. It's very rare IME that the food at audax controls is what I'd call really good*, but it's even rarer that I have a problem finding something to eat, usually being too hungry to care what it is as long as it's plentiful (and not a Ginsters pasty).

(*though I do think the Beast From The East is worth doing just for Tracey Horsman's legendary breakfasts.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #480 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:13:23 am »
I flew there and back last time because I had little time to spare. Bit expensive (£150 or so) but it worked for me.

Flight out at a sensible time on Saturday morning. StQeY is relatively easy to get to from CDG airport by RER trains (changing once) and then a local bus (or walk).

Bike went there with another yacfer in his van (didn't want to risk it getting mangled by baggage handlers before the event).

After finishing I drank until after the cycle restrictions on RER had ended (any excuse!), then cycled to the RER at StQeY, changed once in central Paris and on to CDG airport. No problems taking a bike on the RER; even a few "Chapeau!" from various people on the train who spotted the dossard. Packaged up the bike (my rucksack contained pipe lagging and zip-ties to sort out the bike along with one of those clear plastic CTC bike bags). The arrow signs I'd stolen provided good extra padding for the wheels. Didn't care if it got mangled on the way home. Slept in the airport that night (7am flight home) despite having a nearby F1 hotel room booked as I didn't trust myself not to oversleep. Back at Heathrow by 9am and I was home (SW15) by 10am (lift from a friend). I was on the Isle of Wight by 2pm that day for a weekend long family party thanks to train and passenger ferry.

Doing it again I'd be happy to fly both ways with the bike in a clear plastic bag (easy to pack down and carry with me on the bike). If the bike got mangled on the way out I'd just source another one from Decathlon and ride that; it's just a bike.

Could have got an evening flight on the finish day to cut off even more time, but it means sodding off straight after finishing (to avoid rush hour bike restrictions), cycling right across the city (ugh), or riding faster (beyond my abilities).

« Reply #481 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:24:07 am »

This is my philosophy with all audaxes. It's very rare IME that the food at audax controls is what I'd call really good*, but it's even rarer that I have a problem finding something to eat, usually being too hungry to care what it is as long as it's plentiful (and not a Ginsters pasty).

(*though I do think the Beast From The East is worth doing just for Tracey Horsman's legendary breakfasts.)

Yes, learning to live on matter is essential audax training.
but I relied only on the controls for food, I was too tired and confused to hunt for a café or a pâtisserie.
Personally, good food really boosts my morale and I hit some lows on the way back.

« Reply #482 on: 23 January, 2014, 12:34:54 pm »
I did much more eating and drinking away from the controls in 2011 than I had in previous PBPs. Next time I'll probably continue that trend.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #483 on: 23 January, 2014, 01:16:06 pm »
I did much more eating and drinking away from the controls in 2011 than I had in previous PBPs. Next time I'll probably continue that trend.

We might see eachother at one of the farmhouse tables then ;).

Bairn Again

« Reply #484 on: 23 January, 2014, 01:42:18 pm »
I got the train Edinburgh - London - Paris last time with my bike boxed and it worked fine.  last time I booked an F1 hotel at Plougastel (just before Brest) and while I got there a lot later than I'd hoped it was still worth the cost for a 2 hr sleep and a shower. 

If I do it next time Id go by train again and probably just pay the extra to have the bike go unboxed on the Eurostar (recognising that it presents a greater risk of it arriving later than me or damaged).  I went Baxter bus in 2007 and while it was reasonably ok for a first timer I wouldnt do it again.  I had the use of friends apartment in paris nr Republique last time and expect that to be an option again in 2015.  It was perfect for storage of stuff while I was away PBP-ing and the RER worked like clockwork via a short ride to Invalides.       

Next time I would aim to have a short sleep at Villaines la Juhel on the way out as I found the morning of day 2 really difficult both times and as a result it made the whole of day 2 a bit of a grim slog. 

« Reply #485 on: 23 January, 2014, 01:50:55 pm »

I draw the line at cold over-cooked green beans and watery potato purée several controls in a row (PBP)

« Reply #486 on: 23 January, 2014, 02:10:49 pm »
Good hotel info. Now for the big question. Is PBP suitable for vegetarians? I couldn't find fault with the LEL food.

The questions to ask yourself are:

• How strictly vegetarian are you?
  • How good is your French?
  • Can you eat cheese?

From what I have experienced of riding with vegetarians (in France), the French are not as accommodating as the UK in hotels/restaurants and the actual event catering is a lottery.

H

I'm vegan and it's the lack of suitable food for me at PBP controls that's giving me a bit of concern .
I'm happy to survive on bread, jam, fruit or whatever bought self catering style from shops or supermarche, but that involves extra stops, faff, time etc and will probably cause me to lose the group I'm riding with - I'll be hoping to start with the Vedettes and be looking for a quick time.

The food at LEL controls was excellent for me and I didn't need to buy anything else on the road - I'm expecting PBP to be more tricky.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #487 on: 23 January, 2014, 02:47:08 pm »
I'm vegan and it's the lack of suitable food for me at PBP controls that's giving me a bit of concern .
I'm happy to survive on bread, jam, fruit or whatever bought self catering style from shops or supermarche, but that involves extra stops, faff, time etc and will probably cause me to lose the group I'm riding with - I'll be hoping to start with the Vedettes and be looking for a quick time.

The food at LEL controls was excellent for me and I didn't need to buy anything else on the road - I'm expecting PBP to be more tricky.

I hardly used any control for food in 2011, except for the first night when everything except a few cafes opening 24 hours is closed and Dreux as you're not really in the town so there's nothing much en-route. Otherwise I really dont think I lost time. Hopping on and off the bike and zapping round a supermarket didn't take longer than queuing and besides you can tuck in at boulangeries and what not in in-between places. The one in Brezolles before Dreux is really good.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #488 on: 23 January, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »
I draw the line at cold over-cooked green beans and watery potato purée several controls in a row (PBP)
It's only ming because you didn't have the gravy with it. That transforms it into a delight for the palate.

Or, I'll eat any old cack.

« Reply #489 on: 23 January, 2014, 03:01:58 pm »
Or, I'll eat any old cack.

And talk it (with reference to the rather scatalogical conversation at Villaines-la-Juhel).

« Reply #490 on: 23 January, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »

I hardly used any control for food in 2011, except for the first night when everything except a few cafes opening 24 hours is closed and Dreux as you're not really in the town so there's nothing much en-route. Otherwise I really dont think I lost time. Hopping on and off the bike and zapping round a supermarket didn't take longer than queuing and besides you can tuck in at boulangeries and what not in in-between places. The one in Brezolles before Dreux is really good.

Cheers for the info Ian.   
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #491 on: 23 January, 2014, 04:52:07 pm »

Cheers for the info Ian.

That's the old hand's approach, it actually saves time.

Phil W

« Reply #492 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »
Quite looking forward to riding to this, turn it into a weeks holiday and this will make it someway easier to plan

http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=1586398

« Reply #493 on: 23 January, 2014, 09:46:39 pm »
Quite looking forward to riding to this, turn it into a weeks holiday and this will make it someway easier to plan

http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=1586398

We might be going off topic, but I used the flèche as my Paris nice cyclo tour last year, and the gps routewas brilliant. Saved me a lot of planning and includes a lot of local knowledge

« Reply #494 on: 23 January, 2014, 10:11:49 pm »
Whether I ride 2015 really depends of whether I can extricate myself form a newly open brewery shop here in town, literally [well not exactly] a stones throw from my front door. So far the signs are not good. In fact they are bad. I keep telling myself, 'I should be doing this and I should be doing that', but neither body or mind are responding. I'm already thinking, 'well I quite enjoyed the time when I was cycling'. One becomes aware of how easy it is to lose things.

For anybody doing to for the first time, and if you have the extra couple of days, I can really recommend riding down
from the coast to Paris. When I reflect on 2007 and 2011, the ride there and back was just as enjoyable as anything I encountered on the main route. Going down, it takes the edge off the actual ride being such a big deal, and it's a nice wind down returning back too.

As for the ride? It's kind of ok, but the event is everything. I really loved the international flavour of it all.
Garry Broad

Spike

• Not another hill please......
« Reply #495 on: 31 March, 2014, 10:36:47 pm »
I really want to this in 2015.....PBP has been in my head for years. I've done all sorts of different rides and distances...This year I decided 2015 was the one...I just completed my first 200, I go to the gym 3 times a week in prep for this and get out on the bike as much as poss...If I complete an SR this year Its on....Any worries...losing time at controls is one..I like the idea of buying on the way and using controls minimally....reckon looking at forums and getting a plan of action .... but not yet....600 in September final goal...then start planning...

« Reply #496 on: 01 April, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
SR for me this year. If I survive that then pbp entry will be going in. Never done either before so is a trip into the unknown.  Have read loads about pbp and it sounds amazing!
There's always time for a second slice of cake.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #497 on: 01 April, 2014, 11:32:52 pm »
SR for me this year. If I survive that then pbp entry will be going in. Never done either before so is a trip into the unknown.  Have read loads about pbp and it sounds amazing!

There is nothing quite like it and you won't be alone in 2015 being your first.

Enjoy.

H

« Reply #498 on: 27 April, 2014, 11:21:43 pm »
I am toying with the idea of riding there and back using the overnight ferry .... It seems as though a few british cyclists will do this .  Has anyone got experience of this option ..... And yes I know it's. Along way off but planning (at least in my head) is good to keep me motivated.    So what ferry times ...do you need overnight accomodation in paris ?   How far is it to paris....how many are likely to ride in the group?   .... All thoughts gratefully received ....
😄 PBP 2015 & LEL 2017 - it's good to have something to work towards right? 😎

« Reply #499 on: 28 April, 2014, 08:41:17 am »
There will likely be several groups. Most take two days and many stop at or near Evreux. You will want to arrange accommodation of some kind near St Quentin.